Some hotels now charging extra guest fee

Pravda

27 minutes ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

I think bbko is making a valid observation. Why shouldn't hotels charge for additional guests over and above the booking terms? Hotels are businesses, not charities.

Nothing to do with my original question which was about extra charge for 2 guests. Again this is something I never encountered in Thailand, certainly not from major brands. 

At Novotel Suk Soi 20 at present,  Mrs asked if 2 more can stay one night in room she booked for her mum and sister- no problem no extra charge. It's quite busy as well! With the 40% govt discount it's about 900 baht a night. Very nice hotel with an in house extensive wine shop. Thankfully never noticed and prostitutes here, nothing worse than seeing them at breakfast looking out of place with nothing to say to their customer of the previous night.

Edited by clivebaxter
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, The Hammer2021 said:

No such thing as an extra guest fee as to my knowledge single people don't get discounts on a double room. So if you are are in a double room but alone you are not paying half price. You pay full price already.

What pray tell does that have to do with paying an extra guest fee?  If you book a room with 2 double beds, and list only 2 folks on your booking but show up with 4 folks, then you may, and I said may pay an extra guest fee for the other 2 folks, unless you sneak them in and out.

24 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

No such thing as an extra guest fee as to my knowledge single people don't get discounts on a double room. So if you are are in a double room but alone you are not paying half price. You pay full price already.

Actually it's very common with OTAs. Many hotels offer a discounted rate for single occupancy, the rationale being that one person costs the hotel less to service the room i.e. water heating charges, air conditioning, waste management, towels, amenities, breakfast etc etc etc etc.

I'm confident this is what the OP is describing. Always read the booking terms for the cheapest rate. Cheap comes with a price.

Further, many OTAs are just subsidiary brands of larger OTAs. I wouldn't recommend using them. Stick with the well known ones (Booking.com, Agoda, Expedia et al).

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

What pray tell does that have to do with paying an extra guest fee?  If you book a room with 2 double beds, and list only 2 folks on your booking but show up with 4 folks, then you may, and I said may pay an extra guest fee for the other 2 folks, unless you sneak them in and out.

I agree, in the case you describe you pay for extra guests which is the perfectly acceptable and normal business practice. I am referring to the guest/ joiner fee scam pulled on newbies and fools whereby the hotel trys to charge an extra fee on an already paid for double room when a guy brings a girl back.

• Like 2

No, you're bringing an unregistered guest. It cost the hotel resources and time to register the guest.

Hotels sell room nights, not PAX. If you don't check in every person in your party upon arrival, you should expect a charge to make reception go through the process of check in again, which they are legally required to do. Maybe you'll get lucky and they'll waive the fee.

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

l. .

Personally if I go to some nice hotel with my family and sit in the restaurant, I feel like I made a mistake if it's full of farang guys and their obvious bar trash, it's cringeworthy to see. I'd rather the same customers stayed away from my hotel. I'm a snob and they lower the tone.

Even worse when she's still wearing the same clothes as the night before .

Wet hair , basic make-up , high heels and a short skirt and chevage showing looking worse for wear and trying to pretend she isn't a prostitute and the male partner trying to avoid eye contact with anyone 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

53 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

At breakfast, I'm not looking around at the other guests, unless they're making a noise.

Do I care if the guy at the next table is sitting with a hooker or his wife (or his gay lover), why on earth would I?

Maybe i'm too sensitive then, just something I would rather not have to see, often they look embarrassed and uncomfortable. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I agree, in the case you describe you pay for extra guests which is the perfectly acceptable and normal business practice. I am referring to the guest/ joiner fee scam pulled on newbies and fools whereby the hotel trys to charge an extra fee on an already paid for double room when a guy brings a girl back.

What your discussing is what's called the Bar girl fee and for the supposed extra security of holding on to their ID cards. Your not talking g about extra charges for a booking g of less than staying.

Edited by ThailandRyan

41 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

What your discussing is what's called the Bar girl fee and for the supposed extra security of holding on to their ID cards. Your not talking g about extra charges for a booking g of less than staying.

I got my first job in a hotel aged 19. I've been in Thailand for 20 years. I never heard any hoteliers refer to anything that sounded like 'bar girl fee'. It exists in your imagination and the imagination of whormongers. If the police are called to a hotel for whatever reason (happens more than you might think, customer expired, theft, violence between couples) the police will want to see guest registration.  If this is not in order the hotel will be subject to further scrutiny, possible sanctions or fines if everything is not correct and proper. . .

Anyone in the hotel must be registered, either by law or hotel policy. The hotel staff and management couldn't give a hoot if you picked them up in a bar, or if they're your wife. They might have a snigger though if your "Wife's" ID card has นาย printed on it.

The stuff written in these topics is mostly garbage.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

Actually it's very common with OTAs. Many hotels offer a discounted rate for single occupancy

I've not found one in Thailand, Vietnam, Philippines, Cambodia or China.

But then, I haven't booked into all of them yet.

I always click the one guest, then two guest box to see if there's a price difference.

Then choose two, because one was never cheaper.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

On 12/16/2021 at 5:47 PM, HashBrownHarry said:

A lot of the higher end hotels have always had this policy, it's nothing new.

I agree, however with the pandemic, a lot of hotels have suffered as you would be aware and some will turn a blind eye to an extra guest, or should IMO, that or potentially lose a customer for good, no repeat business.

As we have 2 kids, we vary our stays between 3 and 5 star hotels, usually the same franchises, and the room types have a double bunk bed for the kids in the 30m2 family room (3 star) which has always been suitable, and then when stepping it up to the (5 star) the 42m2 room has a fold out sofa bed with a queen size mattress.

My recent experience when looking at the hotel websites to book, states that children over 12 are classed as adults and then I put in 3 adults and 1 child as opposed to 2 adults and 2 children and, naturally the prices increased as you either have to take a 2 bedroom suite in the 3 star or a bigger room in the 5 star. i.e. 60m2.

The above said I sent an email to the 3 star and told them that I was looking to stay at their hotel again for a week with the family, however one of our children recently turned 12 and I asked if we could stay in the usual family room that we stay at, considering she is still a child, and there reply was a flat no as their policy is children over 12 must pay the adult price, I said thank you for your reply and as your policy no longer suites our needs, we will be staying elsewhere, that cost them, not me.

I then emailed the 5 star with the same enquiry and they said, you are welcome once again Mr $, we will welcome you once again and your 12 year old child can stay in the same room using the sofa bed with the other child as she did last time. So I booked as it was cheaper to book that room in the 5 star than it was in the 3 star, go figure.

What gets me is who invented this stupid rule, I mean a room is a room and if it's big enough to fit a fold out sofa or double bunk beds for 4 people, be it a family or two guests, then they should just have a flat fee for the room for up to 4 people and not try to rip people off people discriminating against their age, e.g. because a child has turned 12, their policy dictates that they have to be elevated to the next room price which could be upwards of 1,000 baht per night, seriously something wrong with the hotel systems structure when it comes to these types of policies, as a 12 years old is not an adult, 18 is an adult, that said, I can understand that they pay full price on a flight as a seat is occupied, but in the hotels we have stayed, the rooms are the same, with the same bedding, so what's the difference ?

Rant over ????

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

Anyone in the hotel must be registered, either by law or hotel policy. The hotel staff and management couldn't give a hoot if you picked them up in a bar, or if they're your wife. They might have a snigger though if your "Wife's" ID card has นาย printed on it.

How does that work in short-time hotels then?

The ones where you drive in to the curtained car port and never see anyone?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Short time hotels are normally for an hour or two, no need to register guests.

Even if overnight they won't do it, why would they? I'm sure many hotels don't bother for a single night stay.

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I think I know this one,

In a ST hotel, you pay by the hour, not by the number of people in the room which is a god send if you are having a group session.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I've no idea. I never owned or operated such a place. I also don't use them for family vacations. I don't imagine they're registered or licenced, and operate under the radar.

4 hours ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

I think bbko is making a valid observation. Why shouldn't hotels charge for additional guests over and above the booking terms? Hotels are businesses, not charities.

I suppose you would also agree that a 12 year old child should pay the adult rate when sharing the same room as their parents ?

Read my post a few back up.

• Haha 1