When do you think Omicron will become dominant in Thailand?

Jingthing

Better ways to spend my time than needlessly worrying over some new variant.  When Delta first came out so many were worrying over it, now it's yesterday's news. 

I'm fully vaxed, I wear my mask, I social distance, I limit what I touch out in public and use alcohol hand cleansers, I've done my part.  What's left for me to do?  Incase myself in a plastic bubble?

443c3504aeb843eab29ee7a28c45d99f.jpg

1 hour ago, bbko said:

Better ways to spend my time than needlessly worrying over some new variant.  When Delta first came out so many were worrying over it, now it's yesterday's news. 

I'm fully vaxed, I wear my mask, I social distance, I limit what I touch out in public and use alcohol hand cleansers, I've done my part.  What's left for me to do?  Incase myself in a plastic bubble?

443c3504aeb843eab29ee7a28c45d99f.jpg

You'll still be exposed to it.

22 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

Chips of the old block, aren't they?

But to answer the OP's question, I fear that the timing might be perfect for a massive contamination during the New year celebrations. Once more egg on the silly faces of the government, who should see the need to curtail the event right now.

It's gonna happen with or without celebrations. Nothing can stop it. Better live as normal as we can while we can

• Like 1

Omicron arrives with foreigners - well, it's already here, but so far only among arrivals in quarantine - my bet is less than a month before it begins to spread domestically. Perhaps Anutin's suggestion about terminating Test & Go after all makes good sense from a purely health point of view, and can delay the new variant....????

The arrival of Omicrom might however not be that bad after all, according to numerous scientists it's mild and can be the end of pandemic, if just enough get smitten. Unfortunately some scientists don't agree, which leaves us plain people in uncertainty about what is right...:whistling:

22 hours ago, Jingthing said:

So Songkran is off?

You need to go and see a psychiatrist and get some help quickly and stop playing with that Jingathing. Will Songkran be off, what a stupid thing to think. Can't you remember last year when this government did not want to appear greedy and selfish and keep this Covid-19 to themselves in Bangkok so they just let everyone share it around all over Thailand. Just think a minute about what Thailand would have been like if they had of stopped Songkran travel last year. How many people would still be alive? how many people would still have jobs? how many businesses would still be here and open? How many people would not have had to endure this virus in the hospitals? How many people would have been able to get other medical treatments instead of being turned away because the hospitals were over run with Covid-19 patients? Of cause Songkran will be cancelled this year just like it was last year.

Edited by Russell17au
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, khunPer said:

Omicron arrives with foreigners - well, it's already here, but so far only among arrivals in quarantine - my bet is less than a month before it begins to spread domestically. Perhaps Anutin's suggestion about terminating Test & Go after all makes good sense from a purely health point of view, and can delay the new variant....????

The arrival of Omicrom might however not be that bad after all, according to numerous scientists it's mild and can be the end of pandemic, if just enough get smitten. Unfortunately some scientists don't agree, which leaves us plain people in uncertainty about what is right...:whistling:

We just don't know. 

If new cases were to hit 100,000 per day, some significant fraction of people are going to be hospitalized, even if it's mild. That might overwhelm the hospitals. 

But, it's too early to tell. 

On 12/19/2021 at 1:22 PM, champers said:

Thailand has stopped publishing daily testing numbers

No they have not. Data lag a few days behind, with latest figure for Dec. 18th: a very low figure of ca 24,400 but this was a Sat, not sure if they test less in the week-end. Highest figure in the last 10 days was ca 46, 200 (Dec 13th). https://www3.dmsc.moph.go.th/

On 12/19/2021 at 3:29 PM, worgeordie said:

So this is going to be a 3 times annually thing .....???? getting jabs,

the West seems to be in full panic over the Omicron , but in

South Africa were it originated, they don't seem to be too worried

about it, even the Doctors saying people more  easily  infected but way

less hospitalizations and serious problems. not as bad as Delta.

regards worgeordie 

Get double vaccinated they said. No more lockdowns they said. No more restrictions they said. We have to learn to live with it they said.

Just now, starky said:

Get double vaccinated they said. No more lockdowns they said. No more restrictions they said. We have to learn to live with it they said.

Not surprisingly some people want to believe anything and everything that they are told. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, starky said:

Not surprisingly some people want to believe anything and everything that they are told. 

I would say about 4 weeks, but it could be far sooner than that because there's not much Delta to replace - not according to their tests anyway.

I don't believe the current test results in any way reflect reality.

People hide away instead of going for a test when they get infected with something due to the governments way of handling the problem by locking them away for isolation. They have created an atmosphere which discourages anyone from seeking treatment for all but the most serious infections - this will really help Omicron to spread massively.

This will remain the same for Omicron so I fully expect the cases to explode and not only become dominant but Delta will look like a tiny blip compared to Omicron when it gets into full swing.

We're talking lockdowns, curfews, all non essential stores closed, take away food only plus anything else they can think of - all in January.

Happy new year ????

Edited by ukrules

On 12/19/2021 at 6:37 AM, Jingthing said:

Yes most likely it is already here. But even if so it still takes some time to be the dominant strain. But not much time.

We had omicron in Denmark like 3 weeks now and it has not yet passed 50% and it's not like we are not testing enough.

So i give them a month or two in Thailand.

Depends how many they test and sequence daily.

What are the criteria for a Covid-19 variant to be considered "dominant"?

Government spokespersons of various countries and the media are talking about the "dominant" variant but I have yet to see a definition for it and a description of the procedure to determine the dominance.

Thailand was doing so well but now seems to have given up. Omnicron can take 5-6 days to develop that means quarantine must be increase to at lease this amount of days. It already seem too late. I suspect Omnicron is already in Thailand and can not be stopped.  Cases will double every day, many Thai's have only sinovac. Will need serious lock down to control this, very soon.

• Sad 1

Meaningless Question with Unknown Answer.Doesn’t matter.

Just get Boosted & Healthy & Isolated as sole defences????

Many Tourists enjoying themselves without freakin’masks here in Patong today …..????  Relaxing Xmas . KUDO Beach Bar.???? Stop Worrying. Doesn’t Help at all.

3 hours ago, Don Chance said:

Thailand was doing so well but now seems to have given up. Omnicron can take 5-6 days to develop that means quarantine must be increase to at lease this amount of days. It already seem too late. I suspect Omnicron is already in Thailand and can not be stopped.  Cases will double every day, many Thai's have only sinovac. Will need serious lock down to control this, very soon.

We don't know the impact of Omicron on the unvaccinated in absolute numbers, although we know the unvaccinated are 4 times more likely to be hospitalized. It could be the case that hospitalizations are rare in Thailand. 

5 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

We don't know the impact of Omicron on the unvaccinated in absolute numbers, although we know the unvaccinated are 4 times more likely to be hospitalized. It could be the case that hospitalizations are rare in Thailand. 

Thailand publishes the daily total of new cases, eg here, but gives no breakdown for unvaccinated, vaccinated, Omicron.