Do you believe that the main stream media is losing its influence?

peter zwart

43 minutes ago, peter zwart said:

In recent times it has become clear to many people that the "Main stream media" does not provide an objective representation of facts and applies censorship on a large scale. Do you still take it for granted or do more research yourself before forming an opinion?

The censorship of MSM is mainly done by your governments security forces.

There are no sources of information they don't/can't edit.

The internet is a great resource for cooking recipes, but it isn't a source for politically sensitive information.

Edited by BritManToo

2 hours ago, peter zwart said:

In recent times it has become clear to many people that the "Main stream media" does not provide an objective representation of facts

It seems by now facebook is main stream media - at least for a lot of people.

I agree that they seldom provide objective facts.

• Like 1

Sure some mainstream media is more left or right but most people know that. I am more talking about the outlandish other sites that often have false information on them. I doubt that the media in my country all toe the line to write what the government wants. 

Because that is basically what many of those alternate theory believers think. I have seen too many critical reports and programs made by them where they basically attack the government on things. So to think that they would all suddenly side with the government to push a world wide agenda and stuff like that is just to crazy to believe. Still some seem to fall for it.

Will there be some sites that expose stuff that the media misses, sure there are as not everything can get their attention but on the big important things they are often right. They might be a bit bias at times but not to the extend many people think. There is always some article showing the other side. 

Yesterday i read about a doctor in an big hospital who said that lockdown might be asking too much from the people who are less at risk to protect those who are most at risk. He also questioned why he had to postpone operations on cancer patients so he could keep beds ready for covid patients. He said the cancer patient had a better chance to survive then some of those covid patients so in his opinion the covid patient should have been given up (left to die) to make room for the guy with cancer who had more chance to survive.

In his word you can die of anything as long as its not covid and he found that wrong. 

So even our mainstream media gives others a space to give their opinion. Of course it does not go to the really outlandish theories and opinions but that is not so strange. It also often attacks the government on its decisions about lockdown and how it hits restaurants and so on. So to think they all toe the government line is crazy.

In the UK (im Dutch but this news even reaches Dutch papers) now there is BJ scandal of him going to parties and stuff. Things he denied until pictures showed up. Showing there was one rule for the ones in power and an other for the population. If that is not giving a voice to opposition what is.

5 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Truth=Fact.....or facts as we best know them at the time.  Like the 2020 election.  Trump keeps spouting endless lies.  So when the MSM reports what he says, they have to include a disclaimer that Trump is lying or has zero evidence.  Right wing nutters aren't too fond of that.   

I've found that those who are unable to successfully argue their ideological opponents point of view probably don't understand or don't want to understand their adversaries point of view and generally revert to name calling.

Of course, I could be wrong. :coffee1:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I read the mainstream media. I like to think I can think and call stuff out if it is too biased. Some stuff a bit left and stuff a bit right. Those media that have a record of fact checking. 

Some stuff is called 'left' when to me it is just fair and reasonable e.g. it might be seen as anti right wing politicians but not just because of politics or economics but the illogical and sometimes anti democratic stands they take. Left politicians can be illogical too of course. 

It is interesting to read new perspectives but the less fact checking the less seriously they are taken. 

4 minutes ago, Gsxrnz said:

I've found that those who are unable to successfully argue their ideological opponents point of view probably don't understand or don't want to understand their adversaries point of view and generally revert to name calling.

Of course, I could be wrong. :coffee1:

Taking it personal?  Tell me what your "point of view" is and I'll happily discuss.

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Any source the government feels important enough to censor.

any example of democratic and fairly elected government censored media will support your assertion otherwise its a lie.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Taking it personal?  Tell me what your "point of view" is and I'll happily discuss.

I don't take things personally - my personality is as deep as a shallow puddle so am somewhat difficult to offend.  It's a curse.  :coffee1:

• Haha 1

Quality journalism is alive and well. 

Every year, the Schools Of Journalism turn out thousands of dedicated, honest, hard working graduates that enter the field, producing quality product that adheres to journalistic standards. 

Of course the scammers, con artists and pathological liars will try to convince the rubes that the “press is the enemy of the people.”

• Like 2

I stopped watching MSM news about 15 years ago when it became evident that it was no longer Huntley and Brinkley or Walter Cronkite providing the news in a plain matter-of-fact manner.  By 15 years ago it became evident that the MSM was News-A-Tainment.  Here in 2021 it is either a Left or Right Echo-Chamber.
I continued to read The Nation and BKK post until I could find the newspapers for sale.  I like to sit down at a cafe with a beer or coffee and read the rag although I understand the MSM perspective.  Then the printed papers disappeared.  Reading on the smartphone just ain't the same.

So I'm pretty much done with MSM and new get my information for places like Substack where journalists like Glenn Greenwald, Matt Taibbi, and other investigative journalist - who still have journalistic integrity - continue to write.  I find that these left-wing, liberal journalist who refuse to publish for the Borg Hive-mind tend to have a balanced, almost centrist worldview.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1