Thailand suspends ‘Thailand Pass’ and ‘Test & Go’

Jonathan Fairfield

9 hours ago, donx said:

For those saying the suspension of the Thailand Pass is a blow to tourism, I don't see it that way at all. Anyone willing to go through all the hoops required to obtain the Thailand Pass certainly aren't tourists. They are people with intimate ties to Thailand. As someone else said, Thai tourism is already dead. In my opinion, its in a coma.

A six year old could do that Thailand pass in no time at all

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

Yet another knee-jerk reaction from the  government to show the hysterical Thai public they’re doing something

Same as the hysterical knee-jerk reaction in Europe, with Germany demanding 14 days quarantine for UK arrivals, France banning any UK arrivals at all, Wales putting all spectator sporting events behind closed doors? And so on.

I guess until we know the effects of Omicron, which I believe will be between Christmas and New Year, I suppose precautions are necessary. If it does turn out to be mild, as some expect, then there'll be relaxations again. I'd support being on the safe side until we know more.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Straight8 said:

Many were not coming anyway, so this makes only a small difference to the desparado's wanting to come in. Outside of people who have kids here in Thailand, the mind boggles as to why tourist would want to visit in these uncertain times.

True , you would not get the 2019 numbers , but you are getting numbers ,which would rise in the following months also . Again , not at all like 2019 , but something to get going again . Omicron , besides the rules , have already its impact , The rules however make the numbers completely melt down to near 0 .

TBH , i do understand the rules which many countries now take , since the fast spread is enormous and very worrying . If it turns out not a lot less dangerous , numbers would be down to 0 anyways . The latest hospital numbers out of UK and Denmark are not as good as SA .... so it might be a very heavy winter .

15 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

No comparison but nice try at sarcasm.

Obviously no comparison.

Tell us how many Thais compared to Brits have had to cut their holiday short and try to get home because the government suddenly changed the rules.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Although it seems "fair" to grandfather in the 90,000 that have already applied, it doesn't really make sense in terms of stopping Omicron, which is the whole point of this.

Some of those 90,000 will have it. They will bring it in and it will spread. So really, what's the point of the half hearted approach? Either do it properly or don't do it at all (I'd prefer the 'Don't do it at all' approach and keep T&G).

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for those that will avoid quarantine because that must really suck, but it seems this policy will destroy the last remnants of tourism and let Omicron in anyway. The worst of both worlds.

My belief is that they are hoping that the first PCR test captures those with Omicron the first time. I just wonder what the true rules will be for testing negative the first test and then in between then and the second PCR test.  Will they be making you self isolate, which if you have a home here like I do would be just fine.  However for those who arrive as tourists they will be the guinea pigs.

7 minutes ago, Rocking Robert said:

I had two of my uncles died for the freedom I have who am I to give them freedoms away

Freedom is nothing more than a delusional concept, if it wasn't there would be very few expats left in Thailand going by the whinging on this forum.

We are all responsible for the limits of our own freedom.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

COVID insurance pays only for people who test positive for COVID. It does not cover preventive quarantine of close contacts.

That would be open to interpretation.

On my policy it was listed as an "Overseas Quarantine Allowance" without any conditions on reason for quarantine.

Morons, complete idiots, we are going to keep getting new strains so live with it, work through it instead of closing the country down every time a new strain comes along. How many fatalities from Omicron, very few if what I am reading is correct.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Lite Beer said:

Cannot see anyone disagreeing with that.

... and everyone who has diabetes and does not stop eating sweet food, and everyone who smokes, and everyone who drives too fast and is in an accident, etc...  Would you also say that anyone who injures another, say a cyclist hits a pedestrian or a thief murders smeone must pay for the injury or simply loses all access to teh NHS?  Why not just scrap public funding of the NHS, give everyone a health care lifetime budget/allowance and let them use it for the care they want?

• Like 1

I registered the 20th by some luck and i seem to understand it i need to wait for QR  approval…..after 4 January ?

cases are going down after the initial soike in South Africa with few deaths.  Seems hysteria has  governed most countries including  thailand.   My other concern ….after all the huddles i need to jump, why do most farang NOT wear masks in Thailand whilst thais do?  Arrogance or blatant disregard for the law?? 

17 hours ago, rodknock said:

my oh my.

another we do not know what we are going to do.

do one thing in the am change it in the pm.

what a way to run a country!!

Yes but to be fair it isn't much better in Europe, Covid changes so quickly that it is difficult to keep up and then there are the political ramifications, damned if you do, damned if you don't. Being too careful will result in anger and demonstrations, being too lax will result in blame when things go wrong. This is new territory for most countries, most people, especially in the West, are loathe to give up their assumed freedoms and would be willing to man the barricades to protect their right to eat cream cakes let alone their right to celebrate Christmas and new year, maybe Ebola would change their minds but I doubt it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Yes but to be fair it isn't much better in Europe, Covid changes so quickly that it is difficult to keep up and then there are the political ramifications, damned if you do, damned if you don't. Being too careful will result in anger and demonstrations, being too lax will result in blame when things go wrong. This is new territory for most countries, most people, especially in the West, are loathe to give up their assumed freedoms and would be willing to man the barricades to protect their right to eat cream cakes let alone their right to celebrate Christmas and new year, maybe Ebola would change their minds but I doubt it.

The phrase "If you can not take the heat get out of the Kitchen" comes to mind.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, yogi yogi said:

knee jerk.  ??????  omicron is real.

Yes but the indications so far is that while more infectious omicron is a milder version of covid and if you have been vaccinated you will not only be unlikely to die from it but you probably wont even need hospital treatment, 80% of hospitalizations are unvaccinated people.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

On the contrary, it shows a country that is being pro-active, one that say's you can come, but you will have to quarantine first.

After you have tested clear you are free to travel and mix nationwide.

Meanwhile hundreds/thousands come across porous land borders and have done throughout the pandemic......If the Thai authorities truly want to seal their borders then it ain't gonna happen.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

meaning that the living room is safer?

Meaning if you don't want to blamed either way stay the hell out of politics.  No matter what there will always be times when no one wins especially the Public and Covid and vaccines and such are a bigger issue then some realize.

1 hour ago, shackleton said:

Considering the virus is getting worse in Europe especially the UK

I would not call this a knee jerk reaction 

Something has to be done to control this virus 

New infections plateau at 90k last 3 days in UK. Little to no corresponding increase in hospital admissions. Feels to me like hysteria is the main driver

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10333125/Covid-cases-stay-flat-fifth-day-row-90-629-expert-says-Omicron-peaked.html

Edited by MarkyM3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

Meaning if you don't want to blamed either way stay the hell out of politics.  No matter what there will always be times when no one wins especially the Public and Covid and vaccines and such are a bigger issue then some realize.

Unfortunately politics are a necessary evil and those in power will always have difficult decisions to make for a fickle public. Not only is the public health at stake but jobs and the economy as well, I wouldn't like to be the one making decisions in this day and age.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Yes but the indications so far is that while more infectious omicron is a milder version of covid and if you have been vaccinated you will not only be unlikely to die from it but you probably wont even need hospital treatment, 80% of hospitalizations are unvaccinated people.

but fauci says i need booster.  im not sure about booster right now . apparently booster gives me 137% more antibody .........that is big increase................but im thinking i wait to get boosted until i have to do it. im 60 years old and healthy and covid is not rampant in thailand as of now?

Just now, yogi yogi said:

but fauci says i need booster.  im not sure about booster right now . apparently booster gives me 137% more antibody .........that is big increase................but im thinking i wait to get boosted until i have to do it. im 60 years old and healthy and covid is not rampant in thailand as of now?

Well as I have already reported here I have accidentally received a booster to which I wasn't entitled and tomorrow I am getting another one to which I am entitled (73 years old). In Australia a man was arrested for swindling himself 9 vaccinations with no ill effects.

4 minutes ago, yogi yogi said:

Is Fauci an elected official....and is he drafting Thailands policies regarding Covid as well as suspending Thai Pass and Test N GO, I dont think so.