It is now possible to travel from Portugal to Hua Hin by train

webfact

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The route is thought to be the longest train journey in the world spanning some 18,755km and would take an estimated 21 days to complete the journey.

Would that include 14 days in quarantine in Thailand?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thank god I can ride a motorbike to almost any place in the world, even make it a roundtrip for decent amount of money I can afford. Not sure about the ticket price for 21 days on different trains and hotels will cost. But, no thanks. I have spent enough time in my life on confined space working on oil rigs with much better gym, food, and rooms a train can offer, and got paid for it. 

34 minutes ago, RobertHima said:

Currently two of the longest sections of the route – Paris to Moscow and Moscow to Beijing – are not operating due to the pandemic.

And as said even when open one has to change in Moscow. I did Beijing to  (via Moscow) Berlin in '88,  7 days fantastic trip as all backpackers brought their tickets from a polish guy and we were all in the same carriage 4 to a sleeping compartment playing scrabble with some Germans  us brits convinced them that 'Botbum' was a real word :cheesy:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, webfact said:

The route is thought to be the longest train journey in the world spanning some 18,755km

Yes indeed, once free from Covid-19. The previous longest train journey was from Porto (Portugal) to Ho Chi Minh City (Vietnam);-

(17,000km)

train.jpg

https://basementgeographer.com/the-longest-train-ride-in-the-world/

• Like 1

I'm not sure it quite compares to Paul Theroux's train travels in 1973, as recounted in his book The Great Railway Bazaar.

As I remember, he went from London, across the channel by ferry, and then in France transferred to the Orient Express, and then went east to Iran and Afghanistan, India, Burma, Vietnam, China, and Japan, then home again across the Soviet Union. There might of been some bus trips to connect up some of the bits, I'll have to reread it.

It was apparently a rather uncomfortable journey, but he got a book out of it that started his career.

Paul Laew

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GeorgeCross said:

you need to get out more ????

Thanks, if only!! However, pre-Covid-19, I travelled my longest railway journey between Ho Chi Minh and Hanoi on the Reunification Express. 1,726km taking 30 hours with 2 nights sleeping on board (aircraft type seat).

All aboard Vietnam's Reunification Express – Lonely Planet

• Thanks 2

When living in China .. I’m a longtime huge Los Angeles Dodger fan 52 years.... 2008 Dodger vs Padres 

played in Beijing I think the only MLB played in China. .. 

Wife said to expensive to fly we lived in the very southeast of China... ok no problem we’ll take the train sleeper car.. no still too expensive... ok the hard seats.. OK. I traveled extensively in China and 

wasn’t a problem for me... get on go to the dining car knock back a few beers and when your tired

or drunk or combination go to hard seat lay your head on wife lap.. she didn’t drink.. 

Went to the game .. tickets more expensive than US and all bleacher seating... Chinese cheerleaders was a different twist and entertaining... after game to hotel for the night the train  hard seats back home.. 

After the game wife says can we fly back? I thought of saying no too expensive.. but instead said why.. she said train hard seat are horrible... it was a long journey.. .. we flew back that evening.. 

id like to take the train to Portugal post Covid.,. would be a nice adventure... 

• Like 1