Thai vaccine certs accepted in Europe as Omicron offers glimmers of hope for a virus fatigued world

webfact

It is good to know, Planning a trip to Europe in April. Just have to figure out how to get my first two Pfizer shots from the US and my Moderna booster from Thailand in the same app. We tried the app once with no success, Perhaps later today we will give it another shot. 

3 hours ago, gargamon said:

Covid is going to be around until it mutates into a virus that has little to no effect. That's what happened in the 1918 flu epidemic, where each wave corresponded to a new variant. Until that happens with covid, all we can do is try to mitigate the damage,

...agreed; but the more folk who get vaccinated the weaker the virus becomes...1+1=2

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Public health officials are currently scrambling to control an emerging cluster in Kalasin caused by a returned couple from Belgium who travelled extensively in Kalasin and Khon Kaen provinces before being diagnosed on December 16th last at Kalasin Hospital.

Scrambling... sums it up nicely.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

It is good to know, Planning a trip to Europe in April. Just have to figure out how to get my first two Pfizer shots from the US and my Moderna booster from Thailand in the same app. We tried the app once with no success, Perhaps later today we will give it another shot. 

I asked the Mor Prom team if my jab in the UK could be added and they said just not possible.

32 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I asked the Mor Prom team if my jab in the UK could be added and they said just not possible.

When you say "the Mor Prom team", who exactly were they? I'm not doubting you, just curious.

Maybe just have to carry 2 passports/certificates then? There must be many now who have had jabs in different countries. Is there an "official" line on this?

1 hour ago, vandeventer said:

So how could this be without the testing? Also why would the European Union accept the Thai Pass when so many people here have been jabbed with Sinovac vaccine?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHW5K0GPvCY

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-release/press-release-detail/pfizer-and-biontech-provide-update-omicron-variant

Seems all vaccines are going to need a 3rd booster. 

• Thanks 1

What ID 13 digit number do foreigners use as our passport numbers are much less total digits than the 13 digit Thai ID card that the app is currently built for? Until we figure out the ID nymber the Mor Prom app remains pretty much useless. I am sure I am not the only one trying to enter multiple numbers ...

2 minutes ago, IamNoone88 said:

What ID 13 digit number do foreigners use as our passport numbers are much less total digits than the 13 digit Thai ID card that the app is currently built for? Until we figure out the ID nymber the Mor Prom app remains pretty much useless. I am sure I am not the only one trying to enter multiple numbers ...

Use the one on your Thai Vax certificate

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Wonder the reaction of Thais being told your vaccine pass is fine, but you're still going to have to pay for 10 days quarantine on arrival in Europe !

The equivalence Thai vaxx to Green Pass is nice, but nothing changes since it was already recognized in practice.

As for quarantine, maybe you are referring to UK rules, I don't know. The article headline says Europe, but it refers in fact to the EU of which UK is not part.

The rules for EU haven't changed, last update Dec 16. They state that on arrival from Thailand (Thais or EU citizens treated the same) we need to do 10 days self-isolation. This is normally at a private residence - Thai genuine tourists would need a hotel but I doubt there would be any such.

As for actual practice, in my case I was free to get out as much as I wanted because there were no checks. So not too bad.

Incidentally, it is a shame that Thailand is still on list E, where it was when we had 10x more infections and deaths than now.

• Thanks 1

Europe can not make rules/laws.

While Europe can RECOMMMEND the member states to ackowledge the vaccins from Thailand or the Thai Vaccination card, it is up to each country if they want to follow this RECOMMANDATION.

Translated email from the Belgian Embassy:

Mutual Recognition Digital Vaccination Certificates

Since December 22, Thai vaccination, recovery and testing certificates via the 'Mor Prom' app have been equated with the EU Digital Covid Certificate. In practice, this means that Mor Prom can be used in Belgium as a Covid Safe Ticket and that the EU certificate must be accepted everywhere in Thailand. In Belgium, however, only vaccines recognized by the European Medicines Agency are taken into account (Pfizer, Vaxzevria (AstraZeneca), Moderna, Janssen and Covishield).

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, gargamon said:

Covid is going to be around until it mutates into a virus that has little to no effect. That's what happened in the 1918 flu epidemic, where each wave corresponded to a new variant. Until that happens with covid, all we can do is try to mitigate the damage,

Just wondering if your statement is based on scientific fact, or that you believe in your own mind that as a virus acted that way 103 years ago the same will happen with Covid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

Europe can not make rules/laws.

While Europe can RECOMMMEND the member states to ackowledge the vaccins from Thailand or the Thai Vaccination card, it is up to each country if they want to follow this RECOMMANDATION.

Translated email from the Belgian Embassy:

Mutual Recognition Digital Vaccination Certificates

Since December 22, Thai vaccination, recovery and testing certificates via the 'Mor Prom' app have been equated with the EU Digital Covid Certificate. In practice, this means that Mor Prom can be used in Belgium as a Covid Safe Ticket and that the EU certificate must be accepted everywhere in Thailand. In Belgium, however, only vaccines recognized by the European Medicines Agency are taken into account (Pfizer, Vaxzevria (AstraZeneca), Moderna, Janssen and Covishield).

Excellent point. It's a reciprocal agreement to recognise Thai vaccine certificates. Not the vaccines. Also, each Country could decide to 'red list' Thailand. 

• Like 2