Thailand wants to avoid a repeat of Songkran, tourism policies to be reconsidered in January

webfact

More confusion.

We are actually traveling this eoy holiday and it's not looking good for tourism industry. #nofear

Well, everyone can go to CP resort by booking at cp.com and eating CP food. Get their sino/CP vax from here on in...

Seems indirectly to be telling International tourists to not come and yet at the same time to come so more confusion.

Edited by TheScience
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

The government has been trying to prevent the virus from spreading since March 2020. If you look at the previous virus waves, the previous measures / restrictions and bans have been of no use. The world is no different. It sucks when the governments make life difficult for people, but in the end nothing better comes out of it.

Edited by tomacht8
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

So why do they promote travelling than??? They want to stimulate the local economy by giving extra days off and even partly sponsored by 50/50 scheme, and now they call not to travel if not necessary to prevent spreading.....Organizing countdown parties, everything must go on, but please don't go they say... We will never understand these totally opposite announcements

In their defense one can say that Thailand is not the only one to deploy the usual: close the borders, masks, quarantine, ban on mass gatherings and repeated PCR/ATK testing, this is become the true and tried action to take in the face a new threat, would i have done differently if i were in-charge?, probably not, and the drop in the numbers of infections are a proof that this is working...

Edited by ezzra
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai authorities have scaled back new year celebrations and are asking people to avoid traveling where possible to avoid a repeat of Songkran this year where unrestricted celebrations prompted a spread of the third wave of Covid-19.

That is almost laughable... 

5 hours ago, TheScience said:

I think part of the problem with all these crossed wires is that there are too many people and or government entities allowed to make official pronouncements.

If it was at least limited to ministers themselves and the prime minister this might help. Defo no TAT pronouncements.

Cut out ALL speculation and leaks to media.

But that's what makes Thailand interesting...

• Like 1

It's a very difficult task to sit between two stools, the one is that people shall travel more make domestic tourism catch up some of what lacks from foreign tourists, and the other is that people shall not travel due to the risk of spreading Covid-virus...:whistling:

Edited by khunPer
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, ezzra said:

In their defense one can say that Thailand is not the only one to deploy the usual: close the borders, masks, quarantine, ban on mass gatherings and repeated PCR/ATK testing, this is become the true and tried action to take in the face a new threat, would i have done differently if i were in-charge?, probably not, and the drop in the numbers of infections are a proof that this is working...

Bu is the number of infections really dropping or are the government not testing as many people until a cluster of infections occur? 

In all the reports I have read in Thailand not one  has mentioned how many tests per day are carried out, only that less infections have been found and less people are dying. 

But if you don't test you will never find.

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Post deleted by me.

• Thanks 1

My Thai family say to stay in my own country and communicate with them through e mails, and zoom calls.

They are all being as cautious as they can, and are getting their shots and boosters and staying apart as

well.  We all miss the gatherings but it is not worth the risk at present.  Maybe in 2023 the pandemic will be almost over and

we can travel more safely by then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

To repeat the announcements by this so called government; '' Most people will stay home.'' then; Free express ways, car checks, cheap accident insurance blah blah blah, just to try and make people Lub Him to Mut. then announce it will be a "Mass exodus"  :post-4641-1156694572:  Now they want to avoid the stupid decision they made at Songkran. Too late, just like their driving they never look ahead to see potential problems. Pathetic government run by a Pathetic so called leader.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

All the 2 million nights have sold out quickly (as of two weeks ago).

Yet the very same government is telling every one not to travel  ????

So it's perfect business strategy. With very limited consumer rights, they did what they wanted, planned or not, to fool customers, take the money and run...

And it's not unique to Thailand either. Difference is, internationally, it's (online-based) companies that act like that, while in Thailand it is the government.

• Like 1

On 12/27/2021 at 10:13 AM, TheScience said:

I think part of the problem with all these crossed wires is that there are too many people and or government entities allowed to make official pronouncements.

If it was at least limited to ministers themselves and the prime minister this might help. Defo no TAT pronouncements.

On 12/27/2021 at 10:13 AM, TheScience said:

23 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

There is a major conflict of policy when the Thai government opens up a promotion of 2 million ‘ nights on the Lau Teaw Doi Gan’ from the BauTang app (sp?) to stimulate domestic tourism. 

These 2 million nights come with a 40% subsidy from the government and up to 900 baht per day off on food at the same hotels (again subsidised by the government).

All the 2 million nights have sold out quickly (as of two weeks ago).

Yet the very same government is telling every one not to travel  ????

Its like children are running the show on a day to day basis....  as another poster wrote, there are too many making their own announcements, getting their own input as if all the government ‘agencies’ do not talk with each other or agree on a unified policy before making their announcements. 

Its like they are in competition. 

You are both right. Compound the situation you describe with a system whereby ministries and responsibilities are effectively awarded as personal fiefdoms, rather like medieval feudal baronies. They are awarded not on the basis of merit, talent or "being on side" with policy, but as rewards for bringing support to a government which relies on a complex network of ( non electoral) support to remain in power. 

The result is power bases which reflect and act for the benefit of their bosses interests, intentions and egos. These bosses are driven by placating, rewarding and benefiting their own power bases. There is little attention paid to central coordination and directives are often ignored if they don't suit, with impunity.

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Thanks 1

So after encouraging the citizens to spread the virus earlier this year to all 4 corners of the Kingdom, where it didn't exist, so they could extend the emergency decree, which has had no effect on containing the virus, they now want to clamp down again.

Thailand's emergency will last an awful long time.

• Like 1