British man's visit to wife in Buriram turns into Covid Christmas Nightmare

webfact

1 hour ago, rbkk said:

I was reading yesterday that they think Omicron may have an incubation period of about 3 days compared the 6 days of previous varients.

A research paper published Dec. 16 by Eurosurveillance describes an outbreak involving 80 people at a restaurant in Norway. Nearly every person who had omicron said they were vaccinated and had received a negative antigen-test result within two days before the party. After the event, symptoms appeared in about three days. This suggests the virus had multiplied so quickly that rapid-test results had been rendered obsolete.

https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/public-health/omicron-may-have-3-day-incubation-period-shortest-of-any-variant-6-things-to-know.html

Different opinion from Europe: you may show symptoms before test shows pos.  and incubation up to 6 days. Quarantine entry like test&go isn't a great idea.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Also now infected are an 80 year old woman at the house. 

Among 14 other close contacts from 4 familes who have to isolate for two weeks is a P2 child. 

Phoo Yai Ban Sirilak Kanram said that the British man had also visited a local market two days before Christmas.

Well Christmas is the time for giving... 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rbkk said:

So confirmation that "All the tests....." don't work. The same as with the 2 tourists in Chiang Mai reported yesterday. 

Irrelevant comment, nothing to do with tests, it is a fact of life that the virus is contagious.

Following his test on arrival he would have been in contact with "others" any one of whom could have been infected.

When it comes to precautions, Brits are not the most observant, the numbers there speak for themselves.

Christmas over in Europe has been a nightmare, the stupid mistake was to ask for self-tests before going to family gathering, like it would change anything

it turns out that self-tests are unreliable (false positive or worse, false negative)

but self-testing everyone in this high wave environment meant that most family gathering were seriously disrupted, with some 30% of guests infected

all around me in the last 5 days, it's full of positive covid and people self-isolating, with gathering being cancelled or reduced to a minimum

what a complete mess, it's back to March 2020

2020-2 is coming nicely ????

4 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

He could have simply gotten infected on a plane, which could have had infected transit passengers so they'd not know the source. As it would have been very early, the infection would not have picked up on initial test, but only a few days later when the viruses had an opportunity to multiply to the detectable levels.

With Omicron being 70x more infectious than Delta (I read this number in the news, but a bit skeptical), it should not take much for someone to get it in any closed space. As US health authorities estimate half the Earth's population would catch Omicron over the next 3 months, getting into a pressurised tube with hundreds of strangers for a day, masks off during eating and drinking, is pretty much a sure bet to catch it.

Now all that said - Omicron is staying in the upper respiratory system and does not move down to lungs. The whole reason why COVID became global emergency was because it moved to lungs, and caused deadly pneumonia. Now if Omicron doesn't move to lungs - how is it any different from a common cold, which is just like COVID, just it doesn't move to lungs?

Thank you for this post I feel much more relaxed about Omicron now .. thank goodness this paper allows so many expert reports from it's readership .. 

1 hour ago, Big Bert said:

And for the new regulations Thai's do not need a PCR test to return to Thailand. That puts everyone on the plane at risk of hospital lock down and events like this happening more often.

Is that still the case?

I heard that the airlines do require tests and would like to know if this special exemption from testing is still in place on any airlines, especially Thai.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

He could have simply gotten infected on a plane, which could have had infected transit passengers so they'd not know the source. As it would have been very early, the infection would not have picked up on initial test, but only a few days later when the viruses had an opportunity to multiply to the detectable levels.

With Omicron being 70x more infectious than Delta (I read this number in the news, but a bit skeptical), it should not take much for someone to get it in any closed space. As US health authorities estimate half the Earth's population would catch Omicron over the next 3 months, getting into a pressurised tube with hundreds of strangers for a day, masks off during eating and drinking, is pretty much a sure bet to catch it.

Now all that said - Omicron is staying in the upper respiratory system and does not move down to lungs. The whole reason why COVID became global emergency was because it moved to lungs, and caused deadly pneumonia. Now if Omicron doesn't move to lungs - how is it any different from a common cold, which is just like COVID, just it doesn't move to lungs?

That is only half way thinking.

If people are not able to go to work for a week or so, who is driving buses, trains, flying planes?

Think of nurses, docs, Police, aso.

Now you might Imagine, why omicron is dangerous. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rbkk said:

I think there are 5 markets in Buriram? Makes sense to test in the ones he hasn't been to.

It seems that markets are indeed the source of many "clusters". There were a couple of them found on Koh Samui a couple of weeks ag o that were traced to markets. I know everybody has to eat, and not everyone can shop at Macro/Tesco/711 etc, but those places seem to be pretty good at enforcing the rules re masks etc

• Like 1

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thousands and Thousands of Thai’s returning back to their respective villages over the the current end of year period.... 

It's unfortunate, but this sort of thing is going to happen. It happened last year at both End of Year (NYE) and over the Songkran period. It will be happening right now... 

I hope those potential proximity cases are fine. The reality is others in the village also face exposure risk from the Wife and anyone else who has visited from other areas. Or, like Kalasin the virus was possibly already in the area. 

Disappointingly news such as this feeds into the hands of xenophobia..

My wife has just told me that the neighbours all have just tested positive. She must now be tested as she talked with one of them yesterday. First time to my knowledge Covid has been found in the village where we live in Kalasin province. Our family all double vaccinated except for Dad, he has only had one jab as he kept putting off getting the vaccine. I am not in Thailand so not affected.

1 hour ago, MasterBaker said:

hardly a "nightmare" he's the one who brought virus and with so many infections around, let's publish a story about everyone infected... i don't think this guy deserves some special symphaty, sorry

It hasn't been proved that he "brought virus"! As we have already heard from an "expert" it is quite possible that he caught it in Thailand if it is the Omicron strain, and the incubation time is only 3 days. Unless of course, you know otherwise - that it is the Delta variant? So you want to publish a story about everyone that has been infected from a dirty farang eh? (Oh, and by the way, it's "sympathy"!)

• Like 2