Thai police launch crackdown on prostitution

webfact

8 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

as my GF recently pointed out by pointing towards 2 ladies standing just across the street from the Lumpini Police Station as we jogged outside of Lumpini Park, "Look they selling pussy again

She should show a bit of decorum and empathy, in my opinion.

If my gf did that not only would I remind her that it's extremely rude to point at or mock others less fortunate than ourselves, but that those ladies probably didn't feel great about themselves being there and likely saw her disrespecting them.

But then, I've never had a gf who uses expressions like 'selling pussy'. Where do they learn such language?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

She should show a bit of decorum and empathy, in my opinion.

If my gf did that not only would I remind her that it's extremely rude to point at or mock others less fortunate than ourselves, but that those ladies probably didn't feel great about themselves being there and likely saw her disrespecting them.

But then, I've never had a gf who uses expressions like 'selling pussy'. Where do they learn such language?

What does a prostitute sell? Yes that thing between the legs.  My GF has no decorum she speaks her mind and I enjoy the way she rips into people. As a business owner she is a shrewd woman who minces few words.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Well your first two sentences are wrong  Soi Nana was busy tonight and girls were walking guys up and down the road headed to who knows where. The freelancers were also out along Sukhimvit doing business, and it's only a Monday.  Wouldn't have seen any of it but the GF wanted to see if the Hilary 4 was open for music as before Covid we would sit and listen to the live bands.  We walked from one end of Nana to the other, and around some side sois before we found there is no other exit except back out to Sukhumvit. 15 km walk tonight...lol. Had a great Dinner at Terminal 21 which was also busy.

Nana Plaza is closed.

You mean Soi 4.

• Like 1

How can they crack down on something that they already stated does not exist?

Ah, only in amazing Thailand!

Well, the police have to make money somewhere. For years they have been makinga show of arresting girls, fining them and then releasing them back onto the streets. Next day they arrest the same girls again.

Amazing thing is that the girls were 'working' opposite the police station!

13 minutes ago, DonniePeverley said:

Loads of prostitutes in London, Paris, Las Vegas (legal), Berlin (legal), Dubai, Tokyo, Delhi, Los Angeles.

Good luck on this. 

It is NOT legal in Las Vegas.  Prostitution IS legal in a neighboring county (Nye) 72 miles away.  The Chicken Ranch is the closest legal brother to Las Vegas.

I only know because there was a lot of trouble over that brothel during the time I lived in Vegas.

Edited by gamb00ler

17 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

It is NOT legal in Las Vegas.  Prostitution IS legal in a neighboring county (Nye) 72 miles away.  The Chicken Ranch is the closest legal brother to Las Vegas.

I only know because there was a lot of trouble over that brothel during the time I lived in Vegas.

And actually, it IS also legal in London. 

In UK, there is no law specifically outlawing prostitution; what IS illegal is soliciting (what Americans call solicitation) and there must be no more than one prostitute in a premise. So brothels (2 or more tarts in the same flat for example)  are illegal.  It's also illegal to "kerb-crawl".

But as most Brit "sportsmen" know, there are myriad ways around those restrictions....or so I'm told, he adds hastily.  ????

• Like 1

Pardon me if I missed it in the 7 pages of replies/comments to this article, but according to the first sentence in 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostitution_in_Thailand

Downloaded: 27-12-2021

Prostitution in Thailand is not in itself illegal, but many of the activities associated with it are illegal. Because of police corruption and an economic reliance spanning from the Vietnam War, prostitution remains a significant presence in the country.They usually come from the results of poverty, low levels of education, lack of local hiring, rural backgrounds and mostly from Isaan/the northeast, from ethnic minorities or from neighbouring countries, especially Myanmar and Laos. UNAIDS in 2019 estimated the total population of sex workers in Thailand to be 43,000. 

????

However, they go on to say -

The precise number of prostitutes in Thailand is difficult to assess. Estimates vary widely and are subject to national and international controversy. No Thai government has ever conducted a formal survey.

Another source quotes different figures.

https://thegeminiweb.com/thai-hooker-in-thailand/

Last Updated on: December 19, 2021 by Allen Gray |  Fact Checked

If you take the time to look up prostitution in Thailand you will read that it was Legal till 1767. In addition to this, this market made a total of 6.4 Billion US dollars annually.

The probable reason behind the government and police not taking a step against this can be that despite being illegal about 500,000 sex workers are estimated to work with as freelancers and hired professionals.

So whichever way you look at it, because of the covid lockdowns & the govt not compensating those in that particular "entertainment" industry, many of whom have gone back to their villages, that's a lot of brown envelopes missing from the pre-covid RTP income. Could this be a desperate attempt to rectify that problem?

But maybe I'm just being unfair to the RTP? 

I am flabergasted, I didn't know, re. 

Yingyot said that action in "sathan borikan" was an ongoing thing but would be stepped up as many people moved about and went out at New Year amid the lessening of regulations, reported INN.

Establishments breaking the law would face prosecution, closure and the removal of licences.

1 hour ago, gamb00ler said:

And some of the least attractive woman you could possibly find, at $800 an hour. I will pass. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomyami said:

the police are well established benifactors of vice in tourist areas so they will have to correct this from within, wont happen just ya de ya 

Not just tourist areas, every town.

Edited by Orinoco

9 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

My GF has no decorum she speaks her mind and I enjoy the way she rips into people.

Well, you sound like a very classy couple... ????

She might want to be careful though. Thailand isn't really the place for foreigners to "rip into people", especially those on the fringes who are struggling to survive and have very little to lose. Maybe a bit of empathy would be more fitting given the current situation many find themselves in?