Government to reconsider work from home and online classes mandate after New Year

webfact

te.jpg

By Erich Parpart

The government said on Tuesday that it would consider reimplementing work from home and online schooling if the spread of the Omicron variant is uncontained after the New Year break.

“The ministry is proposing the work from home measure, and it will be considered on January 4,” said Sathit Pitutecha, the Deputy Minister of Public Health.

The government is set to introduce new quarantine and restriction measures on the day.

Full story: https://www.thaienquirer.com/36138/government-to-reconsider-work-from-home-and-online-classes-mandate-after-new-year/

ti.jpg

8 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

Puzzle Palace rules!

School starts back on the 4th.

Provincial education offices are insisting on mid semester exams being held in the following week 11th - 15th Jan.

We are very likely to be told to go back to online teaching w.e.f. 5th Jan!

Let people travel over new year, spread the disease then go back to lockdown = kids lose again ????

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, sungod said:

Let people travel over new year, spread the disease then go back to lockdown = kids lose again ????

@sungod  although its ridiculous and pathetic to close the schools again. i don't think the kids feel like they're losing. most of them here and all round the world are loving this, most kids hate school.  

Edited by paulikens
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, paulikens said:

@sungod  although its ridiculous and pathetic to close the schools again. i don't think the kids feel like they're losing. most of them here and all round the world are loving this, most kids hate school.  

Correct! My son hates going to school and hopes that they keep the on line method going for a good while longer. Me too though, the Thai school system is as bad in real life as it is on line so why get up early, have the child sit in a classroom for 8 hours and risk getting infected by someone when they can be at home and study at their own pace and be safe whilst indoors?

34 minutes ago, paulikens said:

Not mine, thats for sure.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ikke1959 said:

If they close the schools again, let them be closed till after Songkran, because for 2 months it is no worth to start up. It is a pity but the Government has made a mess of the education this year.

only this year... I thought it was an annual occurrence?

3 hours ago, sungod said:

You might want to pay a little extra and send your kids to a decent school, they will learn more and most likely enjoy it more.

I think the risk for a kid, especially with this new variant of getting seriously ill is almost nil. And the kids dont stay at home, they all hang out with each other and infect one another in the moo bahn instead.

Pay a little extra? WE already pay out over 150,000 baht for schooling. Only other option is the way overpriced "international school" which teaches pretty much the same way as any other english program just charges a lot more for the privilege of calling itself an international school!

Not sure if you have children but not all children/teens hang out all day with their friends and walk around the moo bahn's, some children have better things to do with their time, like things that interest them rather than typical school work and spending time with parents, You seem to have a completely wrong idea of what children do during the day/evening, or are you just basing this on what your children get up to?

4 hours ago, peter zwart said:

i can asure you thats not the case. I know many many kids that love going to school. the social contacts are realy important to them

@peter zwart  and i can assure you it is.   kids love going to school... utter nonsense!! they can have the social contact without going to school and do.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Falcon said:

Pay a little extra? WE already pay out over 150,000 baht for schooling. Only other option is the way overpriced "international school" which teaches pretty much the same way as any other english program just charges a lot more for the privilege of calling itself an international school!

Not sure if you have children but not all children/teens hang out all day with their friends and walk around the moo bahn's, some children have better things to do with their time, like things that interest them rather than typical school work and spending time with parents, You seem to have a completely wrong idea of what children do during the day/evening, or are you just basing this on what your children get up to?

You seem to be paying a 150,000 too much if you think its rubbish, and your kid wants to stay home all day as they hate school. Bu I am confused, your post reads they go to a "Thai school.'

My kids go to an overpriced international school, if you think its the same as 'any other English program' school you are clearly delusional.

Edited by sungod
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, sungod said:

You seem to be paying a 150,000 too much if you think its rubbish, and your kid wants to stay home all day as they hate school. Bu I am confused, your post reads they go to a "Thai school.'

My kids go to an overpriced international school, if you think its the same as 'any other English program' school you are clearly delusional.

Any school in Thailand us a “Thai school” it’s in Thailand!! Regardless of it being classed as an English program bi lingual school or an international school. Delusional? Really? I think your trying to find an excuse as to why you are laying ridiculous prices for an “international” school when they teach no better than a normal bi lingua English program school. We have one so called international school where we live, 750,000 a year, they are teaching from the same books as the bi lingual school our child attends, Cambridge books, they have English teachers, our child’s school also has English, American and phillipino teachers, the only Thai teacher is for teaching Thai,. I could go on with the similarities but won’t waste my time doing so. Simple fact is that no schools ever taught what should be taught and only teach a child to pass exams rather than how to do prosper in real life situations.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Falcon said:

Any school in Thailand us a “Thai school” it’s in Thailand!! Regardless of it being classed as an English program bi lingual school or an international school. Delusional? Really? I think your trying to find an excuse as to why you are laying ridiculous prices for an “international” school when they teach no better than a normal bi lingua English program school. We have one so called international school where we live, 750,000 a year, they are teaching from the same books as the bi lingual school our child attends, Cambridge books, they have English teachers, our child’s school also has English, American and phillipino teachers, the only Thai teacher is for teaching Thai,. I could go on with the similarities but won’t waste my time doing so. Simple fact is that no schools ever taught what should be taught and only teach a child to pass exams rather than how to do prosper in real life situations.

Parents do they best they can with what they have available, they shouldn't try and convince themselves different levels of education are  the same to make themselves feel better.

As I said, seems you are wasting your 150,000 a year.

On 12/28/2021 at 12:56 PM, sungod said:

Don't blame the people for going about their normal business - blame the ridiculous lockdowns imposed by the government. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2021 at 9:58 PM, BangkokReady said:

Perhaps some feel that way, but since when did we focus solely on the preferences of the kids when it comes to education?  Many would be much happier not going to school at all and just sleeping, eating and playing online games all day.  Unfortunately we have to be the grownups and make kids do things they don't like because it is better for them in both the long and short term.

@BangkokReady I know that. I was just commenting on all these people who claim the kids want to go back to school , which is utter nonsense, they're loving not having to go in

• 1 month later...

I study in Europe, and the educational process in my uni is online. Only a few times I had lectures offline, and for me it's hard to study remotely. I have to write a lot of papers, reports, do a lot of home tasks, and when you're at home all the time, it's pretty hard to organize yourself. I use some assistance from Edubirdie to receive fast and professional help when I need it, otherwise, I would have missed all the deadlines. And a lot of my friends from different countries also have difficulties studing online, and I hope, that soon the educational process will go back to normal

Edited by StellaM

• 9 months later...

All the above comments have missed the point that this is omicron. Absolutely NO NEED to close schools. I'm still astounded at how many Thais (prettty much 100% where I am) are still wearing masks. I had it about 6 wks ago. Not real good for a day with a massive headache and muscle and joint pains (no fever), a lot better the next day and by day 3 (day zero being the day you first have symptoms and test positive) had no symptoms apart from tiredness but still testing positive. There is as far as I can tell absolutely no scientific evidence that would support this MORONIC suggestion.

3 hours ago, dinsdale said:

There is as far as I can tell absolutely no scientific evidence that would support this MORONIC suggestion.

The topic is from almost one year ago.  Many schools were cautious, even when it was Omicron, but pretty much everyone was back in the classroom for the new year in May/June this year.