Medical Sciences Department reports total of 739 Omicron cases in Thailand

snoop1130

Then that would mean for the recent arrivals -- Thai or foreign -- when they check the places on their timelines that they are claimed to have infected, there should be other infections at the same time or prior to there arrival.

Are there?

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, DLock said:

Personally, I think this is going to rip through Thailand. Maybe less sick people, but could overwhelm testing and hospital. 4th January re-opening will not happen in my opinion.

I'm with you on that thought, I think early-mid January will see numbers spiral as people return to cities & work.

Yet again the government is reluctant to say to people, don't travel, don't go to large gatherings and 

be vigilant.

And lastly the government is stupidly allowing provinces to have large festivals with the same precautions that are at airports and is obviously not working.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ukrules said:

Up, up and away, 10k to 20k per day in the next week or two.

This certainly won't be the real number though, just a sampling based on the tests they can be bothered to do.

Agreed, its impossible now to keep up with the genomic sequencing so there will be many more undetected until it soon becomes dominant and sequencing is not so important. As in other countries who now rely not only on sequencing but also rapid tests to detect Omicron through the S gene drop out.

Thailand has for some reason stopped reporting its ATK test results for the last few days.

While its clear Omicron causes less deaths the sheer numbers will still cause huge problems in all sectors including health.

• Like 1

Two solutions?  Deal with it or lock it down like China?  last time I read when there was one case, health minister? Anutin  "  Covid no match for Thailand "  ????   now we can stick our heads in the sand yell out " Thai hater "  go with Anutin thinking and just go on with our lives that he and the leaders can handle or just pray and pray?????

• Like 1

4 hours ago, smedly said:

care to elaborate 

?

I mean the Omicron strain testing that happens in BKK, which took 3 days to return the result.

If they get thousands of cases in the next few weeks, and want to Omicron test each case, I think they will be overwhelmed.

At some point soon, they will just declare every case likely Omicron.

The PCR test wait was already 8 hours, then 3 more days for Omicron results - that's just not realistic given the speed that Omicron travels.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, khunpa said:

With the costs and consequences of getting infected here, this virus will blow through Thailand with super speed, as most will not seek medical attention unless being really sick.

There is that, bit I think the biggest risk is the people who contract Omicron with minimal or no symptoms and spread it without knowing.

...and the 3 jabs that my staff received...did not seem to help much.

The speed that these infections went from mild symptom to very sick was a day.

• Like 2

Just to put the numbers in perspective, the UK had 183,000 Covid cases yesterday, 138,000 of which were in England. Thailand might be under-reporting, but still the numbers must surely be a small fraction of the number found elsewhere. Until the NY exodus from Bangkok to spread it country-wide in large numbers.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, DLock said:Tested positive on morning of 26th. Had to arrange specialty transport to hospital for PCR testing (2,000 baht each way). Despite having significant symptoms, was sent back to await tests, but with 18,000 baht of medication. This was an unnecessary risk IMO. Staff also tested positive on ATK test and went for PCR test's with symptoms and tested positive. Admitted to hospital that evening - a family member of staff tested positive and now admitted to hospital.

Interesting that despite having good Insurance, person had to pay 150,000 baht upfront to be admitted. Hospital would not accept Insurance as a form of payment, and person will have to claim when they get home.

Here lies the problem? If it was me in this situation, I would be telling the G/F to hide the credit cards, and refusing the 18000B anti-virals, as in my own country  I would be sent home and told to take some paracetamol? I paid the extra for the Thai insurance for this (despite having £15m of comprehensive farang insurance), let them sort it out? 

• Like 1