sitting next to someone on an airplane/ scenario

12 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Seems easy to me, simply buy best insurance you can get, that pays for a stay at private hospital waiting to be 'cleared', if unlucky.

This isn't exactly rocket science.  Planning for the not so unexpected, since asking, shouldn't be  challenge.

Holy c r a p, that's what the rockets are for, signifying 'rocket scientists' badges.

Is there insurance that covers symptomatic hospitalisation??

3 minutes ago, Isaanlife said:

How did the person get on the airplane without a negative test?

Im going bit left field here...

This new bloke named Omicron is so contagious that you could pick it up at airport upon departure. Or prior.

A positive result may occur few days after arrival.

Most visa threads are not looking at world situation. Fortunately this variant is not causing the subsequent high numbers of hospitalizations that Mr Delta did. 

In many places (I'm Oz) most sporting events etc will collapse.

Not a big deal but certainly not good time to travel internationally. 

On 12/29/2021 at 8:35 PM, DrJack54 said:

Naturally that's very different to a tourist.

Good luck reconnecting with family. 

Might be extravagant but I wonder how sparse Business class seats are these days..

When I flew to Thailand with Emirates, both legs were fully occupied in Business (and, at a glance, so was economy). They have single pods in First, with some sort of enclosure. Pricey I imagine.

Anyway, it is more likely to get infected on the ground IMO. 

On 12/30/2021 at 1:05 PM, Sheryl said:

He isn't asking about testing positive but rather the situation  of having sat next to someonewho does.

For that, one is quarantined at an approved quarantine hotel, not hospitalized.

As you will already be in an approved AQ hotel there should be no need to move but the duration of your stay might increase.

I do nto think they will  administer antiviral drugs to someone who tests negative.

Many airlines allow online seat selection and you can try to arrange to have no one next to you. In fact your post reminded me to go online and check mine for a flight this Sunday, it was showing now that I had a seat mate so I changed it.

No guarantee with this of course. Things can change last minute and sometimes these seat maps aren't accurate,

is it true that if one turns out positive, only the person(s) adjacent would be quarantined?
I remember in the early days of the Phuket reopening, the whole plane was sent for tests. Then this was realized to be an overkill, and they opted for "just" the rows in front, behind, and of course the same row. I don't know if what you suggest is now official.
Further, as you also remarked, there is zero guarantee that what is shown on the seat map hours or even one day before the flight is real. A lot of people get seat assignments only at check-in.

I also understand that the policies of sending people to self-isolate, quarantine in state facility, or in private "hospitels", and for how long, depend on the arrival city and are basically unpredictable. Probably the load on their facilities on a given day and the health/risk category of the person play a role. Here in CM I have heard of people who were allowed to self-isolate, and others who had horror stories to tell.

13 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

They would only need to be in the hospital until they have recovered and gotten a negative covid 19 test. There is no mandatory time in the hospital. I assume the minimum $50k US insurance that is required to enter the country would cover it it.

They will not be forced to go to a hospital. The would do a self quarantine at their AQ hotel for a few days until the got a negative covid 19 test.

Thanks Joe, I guess that clears some things up.

21 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

This current fella named Omicron has changed the landscape.

It is so contagious, that it's possible insurance companies will stop providing cover. 

Just not viable. 

In other words, it is OK for the insurance companies to keep taking money from people, but if it's the other way around then they will just stop providing cover.

Insurance is a business like any other, some businesses make it and some don't, if they go out of business then their clients, including me with my first class motorbike insurance, will just have to find another company.

Then again, has anyone ever known of an established insurance company going out of business?

1 minute ago, possum1931 said:

Insurance is a business like any other, some businesses make it and some don't, if they go out of business then their clients, including me with my first class motorbike insurance, will just have to find another company.

Would point out insurance isn't essential like food.

Lots of people don't have insurance for anything.

I actually had some Brazilian pals who didn't understand why anyone bought insurance.

They said nobody they knew in Brazil ever bought insurance (unless required by law).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, arithai12 said:

is it true that if one turns out positive, only the person(s) adjacent would be quarantined?
I remember in the early days of the Phuket reopening, the whole plane was sent for tests. Then this was realized to be an overkill, and they opted for "just" the rows in front, behind, and of course the same row. I don't know if what you suggest is now official.
Further, as you also remarked, there is zero guarantee that what is shown on the seat map hours or even one day before the flight is real. A lot of people get seat assignments only at check-in.

I also understand that the policies of sending people to self-isolate, quarantine in state facility, or in private "hospitels", and for how long, depend on the arrival city and are basically unpredictable. ..

"Next to" means in all directions i.e. includes in front and in back.

The flexibility (some parts of the country only) re home vs hospital confinement foe the asymptomatic seems not to extend to new international arrivals. I haven't heard of ant not bwing whisked away to hospital, at least initially.