Why does it seem that so many here prefer Pie and Mash?

GammaGlobulin

These days, class is a thing of the past.

And, so why is Pie and Mash still among the favorite dishes popular with the former working class on the beaches of Thailand?

Comfort food should never be shunned, even in polite company.

Eels are expensive in Tokyo, for example.

Pie and Mash is dynamite food.

However, can anyone explain why people in Thailand eat breakfast cereals, such as those loved by John Harvey Kellogg?

Portrait_of_Dr._John_Harvey_Kellogg.jpg.116f5a95eae9337c4166ad7743a3c518.jpg

Kellogg was a very irregular guy overly fixated on regularity.

Even the sound of his name makes me feel queasy during breakfast.

Kellogg is a case of one of the rare men who actually deserved Freudian psychotherapy.

Just the thought of his cereals is enough to spoil one's good breakfast meal.

Ham, bacon, beefsteak, sausage, fried eggs, with tea or coffee, and fried potato pancakes, is the best breakfast.

Kellogg was a nitwit zealot who destroyed many generations of fine breakfasts for millions of the gullible.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

The main problem with American-style Kellogg's breakfast cereal fare is that it turns out to be mostly just another way of consuming huge amounts of sugar in the morning, which is harmful to children and adults, alike.

The ads on TV are unstoppable and ever-present, and almost as harmful as cigarettes, one might guess.

Instead of breakfast cereal in the morning, here is what i do:

I broil a large chicken breast, with crispy skin, which is quite tasty. (20 minutes in a convection oven)

I steam a large chunk of broccoli.

I consume the above with a large bowl of steamed rice.

All washed down with a large glass of Chinese tea.

This makes a nice breakfast.

I would prefer a leg of lamb, but lamb is expensive here.

====

Has anyone noticed that the price of broccoli has risen by threefold during recent months, from 50Bt. to 150Bt?

Why is broccoli so expensive these days?

Anybody know? 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Yes, but unlike cereal it will probably kill you or give you bowel cancer if you eat it every day! 

I tend to eat the day before's left over wife's cooking (keeps her happy) or porridge/oats (i'm a skinflint,  its cheap).

YES!

I totally AGREE.

Leftovers are the very best tasting, the morning after.

Why?  Well, the flavors tend to enhance after a few hours, and this is why leftovers often just taste better.

Porridge is wonderful, too, of course.

Completely agree with you.

(However, I am not sure that I agree with you that steak, bacon, etc, causes bowel cancer, in moderation.  I think that the available data just does not yet demonstrate the connection, yet.)

Enjoy your porridge!

Far better than cold cereal with milk, and a ton of sugar, for sure.

29 minutes ago, mrwebb8825 said:

So...Oats, Corn, Wheat with milk bad, Fried, Fried, Fried and Fried good. Does that about sum up your OP? ????

Not really.

If you wish my true thinking about American breakfast cereal consumption, this can best be summed up in this video...which...all children should read, all children young and old.

This is a gift from Santa....

always been a fan of Jellied eels but not in Thailand. Eels are now verging on being endangered in the UK and the prices are going to reflect tis sooner or later.

"comfort food" I can understand - cooking it at home, I can understand ..... What I can't understand is expects' infatuation with eating home food all the time.....I cooked Christmas Dinner couple of times, did a Burns night but have eaten Sunday lunch about 5 times in 20 years. English breakfasts are nine times out of ten, just plain disgusting - (look at the people eating them!).

I used to gt then to a rather "posh" English style continental restaurant in Pattaya by a group of ageing expats .... it was like going back to te 1970s - I mean, how much ratatouille can eat??.

Thailand has a long and proud culinary tradition yet so few expats take the time to learn about and stick to a range of about three or four dishes which they eat on their own single plate. Why on earth do expats never eat socially like Thai people - I have been so embarrassed at times when eating with a group of Thais and expats and the expats are eating as if they are in an English caff.... scraping everything onto their own plate and eating with a fork!!

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Not really.

If you wish my true thinking about American breakfast cereal consumption, this can best be summed up in this video...which...all children should read, all children young and old.

This is a gift from Santa....

Sugar is in everything - sweet and savoury....Honey is sugar and by weight has more calories than honey , malt extract is sugar, it's in everything we eat - ketchup is about 90% sugar as are jams and chutneys. There is a lot of debate about "different" sugars but in reality they are pretty much the same. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Thunglom said:

Sugar is in everything - sweet and savoury....Honey is sugar and by weight has more calories than honey , malt extract is sugar, it's in everything we eat - ketchup is about 90% sugar as are jams and chutneys. There is a lot of debate about "different" sugars but in reality they are pretty much the same. 

Does this include sugar from corn?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corn_syrup#:~:text=2 Uses-,Commercial preparation,chemist Gottlieb Kirchhoff in 1811.

Judging by some guys in the deep south of the USA, I guess some people use a whole tank car of corn syrup, per year, and think nothing of it.

Corn_syrup_tank_car.jpg.9b29b545a272a54371920a7d40a50c33.jpg

Maybe you love ice cream

Maybe you love sugary drinks

Maybe you love ketchup with sugar

But, all I can tell you is that.....

Lips that touch sugar shall never touch mine.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Does this include sugar from corn?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corn_syrup#:~:text=2 Uses-,Commercial preparation,chemist Gottlieb Kirchhoff in 1811.

Judging by some guys in the deep south of the USA, I guess some people use a whole tank car of corn syrup, per year, and think nothing of it.

Corn_syrup_tank_car.jpg.9b29b545a272a54371920a7d40a50c33.jpg

Maybe you love ice cream

Maybe you love sugary drinks

Maybe you love ketchup with sugar

But, all I can tell you is that.....

Lips that touch sugar shall never touch mine.

Sugar is also found in surprisingly large amounts in many savoury foods, such as stir-in sauces, ketchup, salad cream, ready meals, marinades, chutneys and crisps.

..and of course alcohol - a major source.

fruit juices ae a major source - I think th problem with sugar is not the substance itself, it is the way people don't realise how much they consume in processed foods.

Corn sugar is a result of Nixon subsidising farmers back in the 1970s -it has a lot of bad press, but a bit like MSG, there isn't a lot of science to back it up.

I don't drink alcohol only tea, hot or cold.

Edited by Thunglom
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

The main problem with American-style Kellogg's breakfast cereal fare is that it turns out to be mostly just another way of consuming huge amounts of sugar in the morning, which is harmful to children and adults, alike.

The ads on TV are unstoppable and ever-present, and almost as harmful as cigarettes, one might guess.

Instead of breakfast cereal in the morning, here is what i do:

I broil a large chicken breast, with crispy skin, which is quite tasty. (20 minutes in a convection oven)

I would prefer a leg of lamb, but lamb is expensive here.

====

Has anyone noticed that the price of broccoli has risen by threefold during recent months, from 50Bt. to 150Bt?

Why is broccoli so expensive these days?

Anybody know? 

And Cauliflower! 

6 hours ago, Thunglom said:

Interesting article and I have read similar before...........

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/why-high-fructose-corn-syrup-is-bad

Also...

Increases appetite, promotes obesity

Studies show that high fructose corn syrup increases your appetite and it promotes obesity more than regular sugar. “High fructose corn syrup also contributes to diabetes, inflammation, high triglycerides, and something we call non-alcoholic fatty liver disease,” says Dr. Hyman. He says it increases all the fat in the liver which now affects over 90 million Americans. 

“It can even cause fibrosis or what we call cirrhosis. In fact, sugar in our diet is now the major cause of liver failure and that makes sugar the leading cause of liver transplants,” says Dr. Hyman.

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/avoid-the-hidden-dangers-of-high-fructose-corn-syrup-video/

15 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Also...

Studies show that high fructose corn syrup increases your appetite and it promotes obesity more than regular sugar. “High fructose corn syrup also contributes to diabetes, inflammation, high triglycerides, and something we call non-alcoholic fatty liver disease,” says Dr. Hyman. He says it increases all the fat in the liver which now affects over 90 million Americans. 

“It can even cause fibrosis or what we call cirrhosis. In fact, sugar in our diet is now the major cause of liver failure and that makes sugar the leading cause of liver transplants,” says Dr. Hyman.

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/avoid-the-hidden-dangers-of-high-fructose-corn-syrup-video/

These days, almost everything one consumes in America originates from corn.

Even the milk one drinks is from corn.

And so, one might say, we truly are...  the children of the corn......

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

YEUK!! ????

45 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

"I steam a large chunk of broccoli."

"I would prefer a leg of lamb, but lamb is expensive here."

So is broccoli , 148 thb a Kg , at Makro this morning , 

regards Worgeordie

This price, I DO know.

Last year, broccoli was 50Bt. per kilo.

And, the broccoli was from China.

So, my question was...

Why has broccoli tripled in price so fast?

I love broccoli, as I am sure you do, as well.

Thank you.

7 hours ago, xylophone said:

Also...

Yes. I've seen this before, but as said the science on this is very thin. Let's not fall into the trap offing a one quote wonder.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Isaanlife said:

Rice has a high glycemic index and can lead to diabetes.

Actually, this is an incorrect interpretation. Firstly there are many kinds f rice and most don't fit your premise. If they all lead to diabetes then it would be really much higher than in theWest which it isn't.

• Sad 1

50 minutes ago, Thunglom said:
7 hours ago, Isaanlife said:

Rice has a high glycemic index and can lead to diabetes.

51 minutes ago, Thunglom said:

Actually, this is an incorrect interpretation. Firstly there are many kinds f rice and most don't fit your premise. If they all lead to diabetes then it would be really much higher than in theWest which it isn't.

There are numerous web sites out there that refer to the high prevalence of diabetes in Thailand. I've been quite shocked at the number of cases in our village and not just old lard blobs either.

When we went to have routine blood works done a while back, my wife's blood/sugar count was borderline and she was advised to cut back on the sticky rice, I reckon there's some truth in Isaanlife's comment, because many villagers show the same indication when they have their monthly checks.

17 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Yes, but unlike cereal it will probably kill you or give you bowel cancer if you eat it every day! 

I tend to eat the day before's left over wife's cooking (keeps her happy) or porridge/oats (i'm a skinflint,  its cheap).

I eat oats too, not because its cheap but because its easy. Bit of oats, some milk, some protein powder. Then let it soak and put in the microwave for a bit. Breakfast is ready. I add the protein powder as oats is not high in protein and its protein that keeps me from getting hungry.

As for that great English breakfast, taste wise it beats oats, but like you said it will kill you nor is good for weight control.