Thais urged not to drink drive this New Year

webfact

Just now, jacko45k said:

If that is the case, well they should treat the privilege of being permitted to drive a little more seriously. Strong punishment is the way forward...along with education. Simply because they are poor is not reason to allow them to drive around drunk killing people!

I didnt say because they are poor they should be allowed to drive drunk. I am saying that as a punishment massive fines would not work.

3 minutes ago, Asquith Production said:

I didnt say because they are poor they should be allowed to drive drunk. I am saying that as a punishment massive fines would not work.

Then let us say better policing and fines or  prison sentences. Maybe time for action and not making excuses for them? In the UK I think the TV campaigns worked well, making DWI socially unacceptable. Along with harsh punishment, large fines and driving bans... and problems did not end there. 

Edited by jacko45k

1 minute ago, Asquith Production said:

I am not making excuses for them I see the reality, I would love the Thai roads to be as safe as other countries but you live with what your given.

I can only go by what I read here...... 

16 minutes ago, Asquith Production said:

Massive fines work (sorta) in other countries.

Why is Thailand any different ?

Today was the first time I have seen road block inspections in my neighborhood (Doi Saket, east of Chiang Mai).  It looked like a show to me.  Every day I drive here in Thailand I get angry.  There are two things I hate the most; 1) how close they tailgate you when you are not driving fast enough and 2) how the people do not yield, slow down or steer towards their side of the road when the road narrows and they are coming from the opposite direction.

Anger every day.  I think this annoucement is rhetoric.  Enforcement and education are needed.

• Like 2

Just now, Ralf001 said:

Massive fines work (sorta) in other countries.

Why is Thailand any different ?

I can only speak for the UK but if you get a large fine you are allowed to pay it off weekly and the courts can get that direct from your employer, Their is no such system in place here and if you expect some Issan farmer to go a pay a fine every month good luck with that. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, koratkarlos said:

Today was the first time I have seen road block inspections in my neighborhood (Doi Saket, east of Chiang Mai).  It looked like a show to me.  Every day I drive here in Thailand I get angry.  There are two things I hate the most; 1) how close they tailgate you when you are not driving fast enough and 2) how the people do not yield, slow down or steer towards their side of the road when the road narrows and they are coming from the opposite direction.

Anger every day.  I think this annoucement is rhetoric.  Enforcement and education are needed.

agree enforcement and education --  but will never happen  !!!!!  

• Like 2