What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2022)

CharlieH

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

You should just watch the movie anyway.

It is excellent!

Though I must admit I was confused by the ending so I had to look it up for an explanation.

Concur, also thought it was quite a good film.

The ending was a surprise.

Edited by userabcd
  • Like 1

The Last Days of Ptolemy Grey

RAR

Suddenly left without his trusted caretaker, Ptolemy Grey is assigned to the care of orphaned teenager, Robyn. When they learn about a treatment that will restore Ptolemy's memories, it begins a journey towards shocking truths.

2 hours ago, biervoormij said:

I thought I was the only person irritated by the accent of the narration of 1883.

Obviously getting a 9/10 viewer rating on IMDb, the narration didn't irritate too many!????

Personally I thought it was brilliant and added to viewer general satisfaction.

It was reminiscent of the narration in Ken Burns' The Civil War.

Edited by LosLobo
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, LosLobo said:

Obviously getting a 9/10 viewer rating on IMDb, the narration didn't irritate too many!????

Personally I thought it was brilliant and added to viewer general satisfaction.

It was reminiscent of the narration in Ken Burns' The Civil War.

I don't recall anyone doing a fake accent in the the narration in Ken Burns' The Civil War.

I am glad the accent in the narration did not irritate you but I was surprised to see userabcd bring it up so had to agree.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, biervoormij said:

I don't recall anyone doing a fake accent in the the narration in Ken Burns' The Civil War.

I am glad the accent in the narration did not irritate you but I was surprised to see userabcd bring it up so had to agree.

I don't recall saying anyone did a fake accent in the narration in Ken Burns' The Civil War.

9 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

I don't recall saying anyone did a fake accent in the narration in Ken Burns' The Civil War.

You compared 1883 narration to Ken Burns' The Civil War. One has a bad fake accent the other does not so not a fair comparison. My point is a bad accent can be irritating. I still watched 1883 but will not miss the bad accent in season 2.

Sorry if I was not clear it was the bad southern accent of the narration in 1883 that I did not like.  I have heard a number of people talk about Dick Van Dyke's accent in Mary Poppins and the 1883 accent makes me understand how they feel.

1 hour ago, biervoormij said:

You compared 1883 narration to Ken Burns' The Civil War. One has a bad fake accent the other does not so not a fair comparison. My point is a bad accent can be irritating. I still watched 1883 but will not miss the bad accent in season 2.

Sorry if I was not clear it was the bad southern accent of the narration in 1883 that I did not like.  I have heard a number of people talk about Dick Van Dyke's accent in Mary Poppins and the 1883 accent makes me understand how they feel.

With respect I did not compare anything.

Maybe you need to look up the meaning of reminiscent in the context that it was used.

ie The narration "tended to remind me" of the narration from  Ken Burns' etc. Which it did!

Am I not entitled to an opinion, as you are? Different strokes etc....

Edited by LosLobo
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

With respect I did not compare anything.

Maybe you need to look up the meaning of reminiscent in the context that it was used.

ie The narration "tended to remind me" of the narration from  Ken Burns' etc. Which it did!

Am I not entitled to an opinion?

OK you are right. I'm wrong the southern accent was wonderful and not irritating at all.

Edited by biervoormij

14 hours ago, biervoormij said:

From what I have read there may be a season 2 but? See this website for info: https://www.townandcountrymag.com/leisure/arts-and-culture/a39122946/1883-season-2/

• Like 1

Watched Blacklight last night. The new one from Liam Neeson. Wish I hadn't. Apart from being too old to play action man any more, he's now making woke movies. I go to his movies for action, death and mayhem. I don't go to see family man with a mental conflict, and second rate ethnic minority actors put in to tick the boxes.

I won't be seeing any more Neeson movies for sure.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2022 at 10:32 PM, recom273 said:

Awesome movie .. I was in my pushchair at the time, but just imagine what a stir it must have caused in 1971.

If you are looking for the version to keep hold of, there is a Criterion collection 4K restoration with a commentary. 

I wasn't and saw it then but while it was certainly a good movie I don't recall any uproar about at the time.

58 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I also didn't get the ending till I had thought about it for a while.

Remind me, haven't seen it for years, but I thought the ending was pretty straightforward, ie a pitched battle between Dustin and the local rednecks, where he clearly was the winner.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I wasn't and saw it then but while it was certainly a good movie I don't recall any uproar about at the time.

It was originally given an X rating, cut and then reclassified. It was on the video nasties list and banned from video release for 20 years.