What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2022)

CharlieH

5 hours ago, LosLobo said:

Ticket to Paradise (2022) - IMDb

A feel-good romantic comedy starring Julia Roberts and George Clooney.

Set in Bali but really filmed in Queensland Australia.

A good enjoyable movie for all the family.

LOL. I won't watch anything with Roberts in it now, and Clooney fell off my list of actors to watch a while back.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thought I would watch an old movie on iPlayer, called "Wilde" about Oscar Wilde and a part of his life before he went to jail, however I switched it off after a while as I couldn't watch the male to male sex scenes and it wasn't just with one male lover, but with many and also with rent boys – – he was eventually jailed for his activities with boys and men and died a broken man after his two-year jail term.

Not my cup of tea I'm afraid.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

Thought I would watch an old movie on iPlayer, called "Wilde" about Oscar Wilde and a part of his life before he went to jail, however I switched it off after a while as I couldn't watch the male to male sex scenes and it wasn't just with one male lover, but with many and also with rent boys – – he was eventually jailed for his activities with boys and men and died a broken man after his two-year jail term.

Not my cup of tea I'm afraid.

Did not know Oscar Wilde was that way inclined. They never taught us that about him at school. Am quite shocked really. 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, djayz said:

Did not know Oscar Wilde was that way inclined. They never taught us that about him at school. Am quite shocked really. 

Really djayz ?  One of his most famous poems, that was turned into a book was "The Ballad of Reading Gaol"-(Jail).

Did no one think to ask the teacher, what was he doing the "time" for.

22 hours ago, djayz said:

Don't let the fact that he was married fool you – – he was as camp as a row of frilly pink tents!

I think it was mentioned on this thread a while ago, "The Vietnam War – déjà vu" which was the first episode of the series of 10 episodes of a documentary made in 2017.

So I watched that and managed to find the rest of the series on 1337x.to and have just downloaded them to watch later, mainly because the first episode was so full of information of which I had no knowledge whatsoever, so watching the rest is an absolute must IMO.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, oxo1947 said:

Really djayz ?  One of his most famous poems, that was turned into a book was "The Ballad of Reading Gaol"-(Jail).

Did no one think to ask the teacher, what was he doing the "time" for.

Believe it or not, but no. This was rural, Catholic Ireland in the 1980s. Such topics were taboo. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Don't let the fact that he was married fool you – – he was as camp as a row of frilly pink tents!

That is exactly what fooled me! He even had 2 kids, if I remember correctly. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/16/2022 at 10:37 AM, giddyup said:

The book was pretty cheesy as well. I gave up on that after a few pages, likewise the TV series after 10 minutes. From memory it was supposed to be based on actual events experienced by the author. Some of it is, like his prison sentence,  the rest is pure fiction.

I very much enjoyed the book and thought the series was ok too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

I think it was mentioned on this thread a while ago, "The Vietnam War – déjà vu" which was the first episode of the series of 10 episodes of a documentary made in 2017.

So I watched that and managed to find the rest of the series on 1337x.to and have just downloaded them to watch later, mainly because the first episode was so full of information of which I had no knowledge whatsoever, so watching the rest is an absolute must IMO.

One of my favourite subjects, I will look out for it.  However is it factual?  The last doc I watched on the subject was by Ken Burns and while it was very well put together it was still tainted with the old US lies such as the North Vietnamese being the aggressor in the Gulf of Tonkin incident, even though it was admitted by the US  years ago to be untrue.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, ThaiFelix said:

One of my favourite subjects, I will look out for it.  However is it factual?  The last doc I watched on the subject was by Ken Burns and while it was very well put together it was still tainted with the old US lies such as the North Vietnamese being the aggressor in the Gulf of Tonkin incident, even though it was admitted by the US  years ago to be untrue.

Apologies, I just discovered it is in fact the same series sadly.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, ThaiFelix said:

https://www.history.com/news/the-gulf-of-tonkin-incident-50-years-ago  

Some Excerpts from the above to consider: South Vietnam “was essentially the creation of the United States,” the Defense Department would later admit in the Pentagon Papers. 

It also sent over more and more military advisors, some of whom participated in raids despite ostensibly being there only for self-defense. As part of one such covert operation, the United States trained and directed South Vietnamese sailors to bombard radar stations, bridges and other targets along the North Vietnamese coast. Meanwhile, U.S. warships such as the Maddox conducted electronic espionage missions in order to relay intelligence to South Vietnam.

At this point, U.S. involvement in Vietnam remained largely in the background. But in the pre-dawn hours of July 31, 1964, U.S.-backed patrol boats shelled two North Vietnamese islands in the Gulf of Tonkin, after which the Maddox headed to the area.

Read more from the link above; and especially the paragraphs regarding the lies from the Johnson administration as it never disclosed that the US backed raids were taking place, and a second attack almost certainly never occurred, and later on the Navy issued a statement saying, "it is now clear that North Vietnamese naval forces did not attack Maddox and Turner Joy that night!

So I will continue to watch the series, as so far as can be ascertained, what is being portrayed appears to be true.

43 minutes ago, ThaiFelix said:

Apologies, I just discovered it is in fact the same series sadly.

Very Sadly - I agree.

Seems like even after all this time, all the revelations, no one is willing to tell the whole story and attempt to right the wrongs by those involved.

The one I like the best - out of a Bad Batch the lot of them, is

'Vietnam: The 10,000 Day War.

Available on UTube

• Like 1

2 hours ago, seedy said:

Very Sadly - I agree.

Seems like even after all this time, all the revelations, no one is willing to tell the whole story and attempt to right the wrongs by those involved.

The one I like the best - out of a Bad Batch the lot of them, is

'Vietnam: The 10,000 Day War.

Available on UTube

Yes excellent as is the book of the same name.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, xylophone said:

https://www.history.com/news/the-gulf-of-tonkin-incident-50-years-ago  

Some Excerpts from the above to consider: South Vietnam “was essentially the creation of the United States,” the Defense Department would later admit in the Pentagon Papers. 

It also sent over more and more military advisors, some of whom participated in raids despite ostensibly being there only for self-defense. As part of one such covert operation, the United States trained and directed South Vietnamese sailors to bombard radar stations, bridges and other targets along the North Vietnamese coast. Meanwhile, U.S. warships such as the Maddox conducted electronic espionage missions in order to relay intelligence to South Vietnam.

At this point, U.S. involvement in Vietnam remained largely in the background. But in the pre-dawn hours of July 31, 1964, U.S.-backed patrol boats shelled two North Vietnamese islands in the Gulf of Tonkin, after which the Maddox headed to the area.

Read more from the link above; and especially the paragraphs regarding the lies from the Johnson administration as it never disclosed that the US backed raids were taking place, and a second attack almost certainly never occurred, and later on the Navy issued a statement saying, "it is now clear that North Vietnamese naval forces did not attack Maddox and Turner Joy that night!

So I will continue to watch the series, as so far as can be ascertained, what is being portrayed appears to be true.

I dont know about that news article but I was talking about Burns' documentary still blaming the North for the attack.

1 hour ago, ThaiFelix said:

Its no wonder this guy became a raging murderer after the system let him down so badly again and again!

Children need to be taught to stand up, think for themselves, and don't take bull from anyone.