What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2022)

CharlieH

34 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Take away some very average CGI and you have nothing.

I agree... the CGI was completely OTT too.

We persevered until the end, but it was neither enjoyable nor a movie I could recommend.

IMO DC could learn a lot from Marvel wrt story telling.

• Like 1

On 11/25/2022 at 2:49 PM, Jai Dee said:

I am really enjoying this series... brilliant cinematography, an awesome soundtrack, and a great story... watch and enjoy!

Episode 2 early on ,the Algerian woman offers a guy a cigarette and lights it with a GAS LIGHTER....not invented until 1948. Oooops BBC!

On 11/25/2022 at 2:49 PM, Jai Dee said:

I am really enjoying this series... brilliant cinematography, an awesome soundtrack, and a great story... watch and enjoy!

I'm going to have to watch this, and I particularly want to because I have a connection with the "Long Range Desert Group" which is what this series is all about........ 

Working in the Sahara desert, in the Cyrenaica region, not too far from Kufra oasis, I and a group of intrepid engineers decided to head north of our BP camp and search for the remains of a battle that had taken place a few hours north, during the war, which was marked on the BP survey maps, but the area was strictly forbidden because of possible unexploded armaments, although the area was/had been marked as "dangerous", we decided to have a look!

Sure enough we found some remnants of a couple of almost intact trucks, axle deep in sand and with what looked like bullet holes/strafe marks down the side?? A couple of guys found a huge shell, which somebody said was still live, so I kept away from the Land Rover in which they put this! Whereas I dug around at the base of the truck and uncovered the remnants of a fire, so considering this was in 1970, this fire was lit almost 30 years ago, and we also found a couple of old tins with the tops being cut open with knives (no tin openers, obviously) and imagined the soldiers sitting around eating out of their warm tins.

There were other bits and pieces of what looked to be parts of trucks/jeeps or the like, but I wasn't too keen on venturing too far into this area just in case they were mines or similar around.

Anyway after having a look round and staying away from the guys who loaded a very large shell in the back of their truck, we headed back to our BP camp at Sarir. 

It wasn't till after I had done a bit of research many years later that I found out more about this LRDG and their exploits....... brave guys indeed.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, longball53098 said:

The new Yellowstone series 1923 is getting set to be released seems Like in December. See this trailer:

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/11/28/entertainment/1923-trailer-release-scli-intl/index.html

Looks promising. Taylor Sheridan is a real busy boy.

52 minutes ago, roo860 said:

TPB have it.

The old Yellowstone not the new Yellowstone 1923

• Like 1

On 11/28/2022 at 5:12 PM, Daffy D said:

Don't know if this has been mentioned:-

TV series coming soon

1923 A Yellowstone origin story

The Duttons face a new set of challenges in the early 20th century, including the rise of Western expansion, Prohibition and the Great Depression.

With Helen Mirren and Harrison Ford, should be quite watchable  :smile:

Yes, will watch as love the western themed shows. Am shocked though by casting an 80 year old in the 1920's when life expectancy was around 55 years !  555

I mean, can't Hollywood find younger actors who needs the work?  Ford and Mirren are certainly great actors, but do not need the work IMO

On 11/26/2022 at 4:45 PM, xylophone said:

Many thanks for the tip ThaiFelix, and I did manage to find it; "Hearts of Darkness: A Film Makers Apocalypse" (eventually) and watched it, and it was both informative and intriguing and as I've always suspected, it was an allegory, not only about the Vietnam War, but also about America itself.

The candid confessions of the actors in the film were indeed eye-openers, and I was extremely surprised when Dennis Hopper (in this documentary) was just as "scatty/spaced out" in the real life scenes as he was in the movie!

It remains one of my most favourite movies and I don't know that I've ever seen one to match it. 

For those who may want to watch it, I think I have found the link and it is as follows: 

https://harateness.monster/movies/play/0102015-hearts-of-darkness-a-filmmakers-apocalypse-1991?mid=17&sid=e31nqfg5mbeuka1rd8cb87o1h4&sec=359bcefd2d3a5a6a86f0e28b245b47fed685e597&t=1669449583

My apologies re the title, I was miles out, however I did say it had been a while.  I watched it again and thoroughly enjoyed it.  I may just watch Apocalypse Now again as I am bedded down with the covid right now.

"Allegory" , Ive just learnt a new word and yes, very fitting too.

Dennis Hopper...555555!  What more could you really say about the man.  Reminds me of years ago Salvadore Dali was asked in an interview had he even partaken in LSD, to which he replied "Taken LSD?  I am LSD!"

The film was total insanity like the war and the politics it was trying in reflect.

• Like 1

Just watched this 1956 French crime/murder/suspense/thriller.  Have to read the subtitles but well worth the watch.  Great acting and and an excellent plot.

Voici Le Temps Des Assassins (Now Is The Killer's Hour) [Deadlier Than The Male] (1956)

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Jai Dee said:

Just released... Moonage Daydream

A cinematic odyssey exploring David Bowie's creative and musical journey.

From visionary filmmaker Brett Morgen, and sanctioned by the Bowie estate.

Parts of this are quite good, biographical footage from his travels, some of the concert footage. Lots of forgettable Bowie ramblings, annoying dated "art" collages to elevate more obscure and spurious musical attempts, and a big emphasis on the androgyny, as one might expect these days, that many of us might prefer forgotten and must sit through patiently. Didn't know he also came out with so much schlock. Very much a showman, but great when at his best. The greatness of "Heroes," for example, is undeniable in the genre, IMO.

For Bowie fans only and once will be enough. I did like David Bowie: The Last Five Years.

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1