Pattaya driver flees after crashing his pickup truck into a motorbike sidecar, one person dead, one young girl seriously injured

snoop1130

S__23183368-696x385.jpg

An unidentified male driver has fled after he crashed his pickup truck into a motorbike sidecar leading to one person’s death and one young girl sustaining serious injuries in Banglamung early this morning (January 3rd).

Emergency responders were notified of the accident at 3:00 A.M. on a road near a railway in Huay Yai.

They and The Pattaya News arrived at the scene to find a middle-aged woman who was unconscious. She was taken to a local hospital where she was later pronounced dead upon arrival.  The injured person was a young girl who had sustained serious injuries. She was taken to a local hospital for urgent medical assistance. The names or relationships of the two were not released by emergency responders pending notification of friends and family.

Full Story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/01/03/pattaya-driver-flees-after-crashing-his-pickup-truck-into-a-motorbike-sidecar-one-person-dead-one-young-girl-seriously-injured/

PattayaNews.jpg

• Sad 7

37 minutes ago, mikebell said:

He'll be at his mother's.

'What a cowardly act.' Standard Thai practice; flee and deny. Never accept any responsibility for wrongdoing.

In around 26 years living here I've only once seen a Thai take responsibility, when his dog ran out and bit me and he took me to a clinic and paid the bill.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

In around 26 years living here I've only once seen a Thai take responsibility, when his dog ran out and bit me and he took me to a clinic and paid the bill.

When a Thais dog ran down an embankment and across the road chasing a cat, it ran directly into the side of my M/C bowling me over, when I got up, the Thai family who had been sitting up in their garden, had disappeared and hid inside their house. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, BestB said:

Most likely a drunk, will surrender today evening or tomorrow claiming he panicked.

Had a prominent lawyer do the same thing in Adelaide (Australia) after killing a cyclist whilst drunk. Never spent a day in jail and still practicing law.

• Sad 1

as bad as it sounds, but if he was drunk it is actually a good thing he did the runner because now insurance will pay. If he was caught and was drunk, all insurance is void. At least family will get some payout from insurance as highly unlikely driver has any to pay. this is of course under the assumption he has insurance 

Whether the car driver was intoxicated or not I feel neither road user should have been on the road. First and foremost the car driver shouldn't have ran. Secondly the motorcyclist may well have been drunk as well. Women do drink and drive. We won't know until the full story comes out. But chances are at 3 am the motorcyclist may well have been drinking. Plus, we'll never know, that if the motorcyclist hadn't been injured as badly as she was that she too would have done a runner. It does happen. Keystone cops style.

As far as I'm concerned these motorcycles, with an home made attachment welded to the motorcycle side should all be banned off the roads. They're a serious hazzard on Thai roads. No insurance for a start, not even 3rd party. Not mechanically sound and never checked to see if it's road worthy, which I guarantee it won't be. Tail lights on the actual motorcycle were probably not working and be none existent on the side cor attached

So I think the lynch mob that precedes my post should hang back until all facts have been established.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, BestB said:

At least family will get some payout

Why? She was in/on a homemade vehicle that wasn't fit for its roll. She shouldn't have been out on it.

Plus if the car driver was drunk then he too shouldn't have been driving.

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

What a cowardly act.

Exactly, the lowest of the low. Happens more and more often in my country as well, people causing accidents and then doing a runner, probably because they are drunk or high on dope, leaving (seriously) injured victims behind. The law needs to become a lot harsher for scum like this, or people who kill someone while driving drunk, high or playing/texting on their phones.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

The law needs to become a lot harsher for scum like this, or people who kill someone while driving drunk, high or playing/texting on their phones.

In this case we still don't know the full facts. No proof as to which driver had been drinking.

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

Jeez dude, show a little empathy. That woman is dead now, the little girl seriously injured,

Who the heck takes a small child out at 3am on a badly lit vehicle with no insurance? And you expect sympathy from me?

Has it ever occurred to you that many people in Thailand are poor and can not afford to buy ‘proper’ vehicles

If you can't afford a 'proper vehicle' then you shouldn't be on the 'proper' road. Simple innit?

Has it ever occurred to you that, instead of being drunk, like you implied, she was maybe on the way to the market or something at 3 AM? 

Speculation.

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Like 2
  • Sad 4

9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

IvorBiggun2’s harsh comments

"Harsh comments'? They weren't harsh. I should have been more harsher. Been here 16 years and Thais don't learn even when it costs someone their life. How would some posters feel at running into the rear of a homemade vehicle that should never have been there? 

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, transam said:

If there were no lights on one of those things, it is an accident waiting to happen....

Giving her, the woman, credit and she had lights, those homemade buggies should not be out on the road. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

"Harsh comments'? They weren't harsh. I should have been more harsher. Been here 16 years and Thais don't learn even when it costs someone their life. How would some posters feel at running into the rear of a homemade vehicle that should never have been there? 

Not necessarily homemade, there are plenty of workshops churning them out. A pity they mostly don't fit them with rear lights and reflectors etc. Driving in Thailand you have to be ready for these types of vehicles, along with 4 or 5 family members on a motorcycle. 

• Like 2