Customer gets maggots in their duck dinner: "What more do you want - I already gave you a discount", says owner

webfact

3 hours ago, Gsxrnz said:

Um.....without exception I can guarantee that everybody who has consumed food in a Thai restaurant in Thailand has involuntarily consumed and happily paid for:

Maggots, ants, cockroaches, flies, weevils, caterpillars, mosquitos, bamboo worms, spiders, geckos, centipedes, and need I go on?

Maggots look similar to rice when stir fried anyway.  :coffee1:

Yes I think you're probably right, and it takes me back to the time I spent in Biafra, (Nigeria) just after the Biafran war when food was very scarce because the authorities had purposely starved the south-eastern state in order to get them to capitulate.

We regularly ran out of any "identifiable meat" on our oil rig and whatever was dished up during the shortage was always bathed in a chili hot sauce of some description or another, so we wouldn't recognise the taste or even recognise its origins!

Some bright spark suggested that we were eating human flesh, because there were thousands of dead bodies on the mainland and the "meat" looked unlike any I had ever seen in my lifetime!

• Sad 1

It looks more like fly eggs rather than maggots.  Pre maggots.  I had put a bowl of dog food down before and a couple minutes later looked at it and it looked like rice grains on it.  It can happen very fast.

Photo from the internet of them:

See the source image

5 hours ago, mikebell said:

After a celebratory birthday party, my wife found a dead (drunk) lizard in her wine glass.  The owner gave us 90 baht off out 6000+ bill. This was at our usual beachside place where we had been many times before.  We stopped going there; I reckon his parsimony has cost him over 100,000 and still climbing.

urinated as a lizard eh!

Edited by tandor

4 hours ago, Gsxrnz said:

Um.....without exception I can guarantee that everybody who has consumed food in a Thai restaurant in Thailand has involuntarily consumed and happily paid for:

Maggots, ants, cockroaches, flies, weevils, caterpillars, mosquitos, bamboo worms, spiders, geckos, centipedes, and need I go on?

Maggots look similar to rice when stir fried anyway.  :coffee1:

...why single out Thailand...happens everywhere there is food...all about food hygiene and handling.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The owner allegedly then got angry and told them:

"I gave you a discount - what more do you want?"

There was apparently no apology and the diners were allegedly told to file a police report if they wanted to get something extra.

Welcome to Thailand...... service comes extra.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, mikebell said:

After a celebratory birthday party, my wife found a dead (drunk) lizard in her wine glass.  The owner gave us 90 baht off out 6000+ bill. This was at our usual beachside place where we had been many times before.  We stopped going there; I reckon his parsimony has cost him over 100,000 and still climbing.

Yep, they only think of today