COVID-19: Thailand reports 8,511 new coronavirus cases, 12 deaths, 2,605 recoveries

webfact

4 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Simple. It is far more contagious. More people are getting the virus. But, the fatality rate is way down as a percentage of infections. That is the all important aspect of this weak and pathetic variant. 

I normally agree with you but not this time these infectioned people filling up hospitals and stopping other real people from having operations

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

But in other countries like the UK and US with better public reporting of public health data, hospitalizations due to Omicron have been rising. If it's so "pathetic and weak" as you put it, why are COVID hospitalizations spiking just lately again now?

From Friday's CDC update:

U.S. New COVID Hospital Admissions

"The current 7-day daily average for December 28, 2021–January 4, 2022, was 16,458. This is a 60.2% increase from the prior 7-day average (10,271) from December 21–December 27, 2021."

And a slightly later version of the same data via chart form:

Screenshot_1.jpg.8cfa5b2dde8eeeebd29c1a3fde84bdda.jpg

Source weblink

Rising deaths in the past have trailed rising COVID hospitalizations. Whether that will be the case or not in this current Omicron wave, I think it's too early to tell for the time being.

But it bears remembering, in Thailand and the U.S. right now, about one-third of the overall population still has not received two vaccine doses as yet, much less a third booster shot that the medical experts say is needed to best fight off Omicron.

So there remains large populations of not fully vaccinated folks out there. And disproportionately larger numbers of them, at least in the U.S.,  are ending up being hospitalized lately with the explosion of new Omicron cases.

Hospital numbers are of course up as are deaths (people are also dying from colds, as they do), but hospitalisation curves are well down compared to the vast amount that are infected now. 

1 hour ago, edwinchester said:

Spot on. Both my daughters are frontline NHS workers back in the UK and omicron is ripping through the hospital staff. Some days between 10 and 20% of staff are off sick or isolating so the effect this has on hospital care is devastating. Stress levels of staff having to cope with the hugely increased workload is through the roof too.

I was thinking of the exact same context in writing my prior post, even though I didn't address it in my comments. But I'm glad you did and bringing your family's experiences to bear.

Doctors and nurses and other medical staff are TWO YEARS into COVID now. They've been getting sick and they're dying of COVID themselves. They've long-term been seeing vast numbers of patients dying before their eyes, unable to save too many of them.

And more recently, in various places, after all of the crushing reality above, they're now getting verbally and physically abused by anti-vax wingnuts, religious zealots, conspiracy proponents, etc etc... And amid all this, they're preparing for what's shaping up as a FIFTH wave of COVID...

Being a front line health care professional these days means having a job that's literally going to ground you into the earth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, smedly said:

Time to take it on the chin and move on - we cannot continue like this - we have done all we can and now have a lucky break to see this far behind us

Couldn’t agree more. Unfortunately mass hysteria and ott mask wearing in Asia is here to stay. 

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Simple. It is far more contagious. More people are getting the virus. But, the fatality rate is way down as a percentage of infections. That is the all important aspect of this weak and pathetic variant. 

It is not pathetic and weak , but it is weaker then Delta . This together with the vaccinations keeps most people out of hospital. When not vaccinated , it still is a potentially very serious disease , but thx to the vaccines it is "pathetic and weak" .

You can see in many places that they let the virus more or less do it's thing , only trying to slow it down little . This is also because the spread is so big , that previous methodes aren't enough so in order to slow this 1 down , very drastic measures would need to be taken . In many countries vaccination status is pretty high , so they can manage the hospital load , it is more a problem to keep enough people going to work .

Phuket is fast running out of beds for people testing positive. Locals with mild symptoms can isolate at home, but international arrivals have to quarantine either in hospital or their hotel. Yesterday, another 229 arrivals tested positive. There are only 985 beds left. #Thailand

Quote Tweet

Thai News Reports: Today, Phuket reported a two year record of 742 new cases, out of which 513 were local and 229 were from abroad. There are now 3,126 people in care. At this moment, the island only has 985 beds left #Thailand

https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow/status/1480320241695543298

• Like 1

Chonburi Public Health Office is reporting 767 new cases today and two more deaths. Most new cases are in Chonburi City (119), Si Racha (165), and Bang Lamung/Pattaya (390). There are now 7,207 patients in care #COVID19 #โควิดวันนี้ #Thailand

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1480323061425397766

Thailand reports 7,926 new COVID-19 cases, 13 deaths, 3,612 recoveries

COV10.jpg

File photo

Thailand on Monday (January 10) reported 7,926 new COVID-19 cases, 3,612 recoveries and 13 additional deaths over the past 24 hours.

Full story: https://aseannow.com/topic/1246145-thailand-reports 7926-new-covid-19-cases-13-deaths-3612 recoveries/ 

//CLOSED//

/Admin