Omicron now dominant COVID-19 variant among new cases in Thailand

snoop1130

000_1PD64D.jpeg

Photo by Handout / US Food and Drug Administration / AFP

The Omicron variant is now the dominant COVID-19 strain in Thailand, representing 70.3% of new infections in the week between January 2nd and 8th, with total Omicron cases numbering 5,397, spread over 71 of the country’s 77 provinces.

Assistant spokesperson for the Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) Dr. Sumanee Wacharasint said today (Monday) that it is not at all surprising that the Omicron variant is outpacing Delta to become the dominant strain.

The Delta variant represented 29.7% of new COVID-19 cases during the same period.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/omicron-now-dominant-covid-19-variant-among-new-cases-in-thailand/

Logo-top-.png

Didn't take long for the Omicron variant to overtake the Delta cases and start to run through the populous.  It was not just from the Test N Go folks as this government wants you to believe is where it came from.  I believe it was already here and just skulking around as folks had cold symptoms starting back at the beginning of November.  I remember discussing this on another OP where we were on the MRT and noticed an awful lot of coughing, sneezing and sniffling by folks.  I thought it might just be allergies and with the PM 2.5 starting to build thought it could be contributed to that, but now I am beginning to think it was Omicron.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Omicron variant is now the dominant COVID-19 strain in Thailand, representing 70.3% of new infections in the week between January 2nd and 8th, with total Omicron cases numbering 5,397, spread over 71 of the country’s 77 provinces.

Only took the Christmas New Year holidays to achieve that... ????

6 hours ago, TooMuchTime said:

No need to worry guys, just hold on tight!

Pfizer coming to the rescue with omicron booster!!

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/10/covid-vaccine-pfizer-ceo-says-omicron-vaccine-will-be-ready-in-march.html

This is the beauty of trusting The Science.  Omicron has been around for a few weeks and we already got a booster lined up for March as manufacturing has already started.

This booster will surely last longer than a couple of months.

So a vaccine denier you must be.  Of course they could have a booster designed in just a few weeks.  It does not take long when you already have the base of the vaccine from prior and all you need is to find the new receptor in the new virus for the vaccine to attach too.  How do you think they make annual flu boosters....

You folks believe that all of the vaccines were just made in a New York Minute to suit an agenda, and were created out of thin air.  Vaccines have been in the works for years for all types of viruses.  Why do you think the CDC and others keep trying to get ahead of any new potential variants by manipulating viruses stored. Which brings us back to a possible lab leak of the virus they had been manipulating in order to create a vaccine that could have possibly started this mess.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Lt Frank Bullitt said:

My question is, do they really know? Wife and kid and SIL and her kids were admitted to reputable hospital in Hatyai with the virus, when we asked what strain they replied "We don't know, we don't check, costs more money to test for that" ????

The test kit they used at the hospital to find the virus will be sent out to the Government lab or another of MOPH's where it will be sequenced to find the strain or variant.

• Haha 1

Why are the "experts " still calling the Omicron variant Covid19 ?

I thought Covid19 was a disease which attacked (primarily) the lungs causing pneumonia and possibly death. 

Omicron appears to be so very different, so why do we still list it as Covid19 ?

Surely this title should now be dropped (apart from victims of Delta or earlier variants ) and the new infection called "SARS~Cov2 Omicron"  or something similar ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, orchidfan said:

Why are the "experts " still calling the Omicron variant Covid19 ?

I thought Covid19 was a disease which attacked (primarily) the lungs causing pneumonia and possibly death. 

Omicron appears to be so very different, so why do we still list it as Covid19 ?

Surely this title should now be dropped (apart from victims of Delta or earlier variants ) and the new infection called "SARS~Cov2 Omicron"  or something similar ?

Because it's origins are the original Wuhan Corona virus called Covid 19, as per other mutations, Beta, Delta etc. It is confused enough.... usually name changes are obfuscation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1