What To Do Before Changing From A 5 Year Old Mobile To A New One

JetsetBkk

Oops - just realised it's 6 years old, bought on Lazada in 2016.

It's getting very slow and is still running Android 6, which doesn't well work with some web sites.

So how do I change the phone for a new one, keep all the data and apps and, hopefully, settings too?

The old one is a "OnePlus 2". I'm thinking of getting the latest and greatest Samsung, but I'm open to suggestions.

Xiaomi / POCO fan myself, since inexpensive.  To me, it's a camera / GPS, with access to internet, that makes phone calls, on that rare occasion.  Wouldn't bother with Samsung or Nokia.  If wanting best camera, Google Pixel 6 Pro

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Must admit I'm struggling to find APP's that will install upon my iPhone 4S these days!

I traded iPhone 5 for a massage some years ago!

It is seamless and all but once in the Apple ecosystem Tim Cook has you hooked.

SAMSUNG is a better product but takes more user know how to integrate

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Wise choice with Samsung (I have the S20 Galaxy Ultra, the wife the S20 Note Ultra).   Easy transferring all the date via Samsung's app "Smart Switch" or the more generic "Android File Transfer".   Does your current phone have an SD card?   If so, worthwhile transferring as much data as possible onto it, plus if it connects to a PC make a back up.   One thing with apps, worthwhile making a separate note of your log on details if applicable (user name/passwords etc) just in case the app transfers but not these details.

• Like 2

It's real easy to move all  your data, apps  info and media from old phone to new phone. Samsung has software for it and you can also dowload free software to do it called 'Copy my data' But when you buy your new phone get the girls in the shop to do it for you.

Do Not Get an IPhone. Its an OK phone but most people don't have them so day to day support  from friends is less easy to  get.

Edited by The Hammer2021
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

The old one is a "OnePlus 2". I'm thinking of getting the latest and greatest Samsung, but I'm open to suggestions.

OnePlus has a simple migration tool/app for transferring files,photos,contacts,etc.

I'm sure every phone does as well.

OnePlus has a great line of phones.

Screenshot_20220112-190457.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pagallim said:

Wise choice with Samsung (I have the S20 Galaxy Ultra, the wife the S20 Note Ultra).   Easy transferring all the date via Samsung's app "Smart Switch" or the more generic "Android File Transfer".   Does your current phone have an SD card?   If so, worthwhile transferring as much data as possible onto it, plus if it connects to a PC make a back up.   One thing with apps, worthwhile making a separate note of your log on details if applicable (user name/passwords etc) just in case the app transfers but not these details.

Thanks. No my OnePlus 2 doesn't have an SD card.

I do have all the log on details in a Password Safe utility:  https://sourceforge.net/projects/passwordsafe/  which runs on my phone and my PCs.

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:

is password safe better than last pass?

BTW I think Samsung  has its own Samsung pass

I've been using Password Safe on Windows for 14 years. And before that I used "QWallet" - from 1999 to 2008. My password database is now version 911 and I copy it to my phone and PCs every time I add a new password to it.

I do use Last Pass on my phone but only to enter the password into Password Safe (running on the phone) so I can access all my passwords. Last Pass has the facility to enter a password when the fingerprint sensor is touched, so that's the only password it knows - the one that unlocks Password Safe. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

I've been using Password Safe on Windows for 14 years. And before that I used "QWallet" - from 1999 to 2008. My password database is now version 911 and I copy it to my phone and PCs every time I add a new password to it.

I do use Last Pass on my phone but only to enter the password into Password Safe (running on the phone) so I can access all my passwords. Last Pass has the facility to enter a password when the fingerprint sensor is touched, so that's the only password it knows - the one that unlocks Password Safe. 

I'm also a big fan of Password Safe. Used it on my desktop/laptop for 10+ years and on my phone for the last few years. Very good IMHO.

Edited by Mutt Daeng
  • Like 1

I don't know if things have changed as of late, but Samsung phones have been notorious for bloatware -- pre-installed apps that are impossible to remove, you'll probably find useless, and eat up a large portion of memory.  You should have no problem finding tales of frustration on the net regarding this.

• 4 weeks later...

I also am looking for a new phone cos I dropped my old zen phone and shattered the glass front and back . I am interested in the Realme X50 5G (8+128GB) mobile phone but am a bit concerned about the fact that most shops on Lazada do not give a warranty , only a 7 day return for change of mind and the package the phone comes in must be intact and unopened . I have read somewhere that some on line stores have sold copies ( big name Asian stores ) Did you by your phone on line or at a phone shop ?