Is Bank Account With Book Necessary for 800,000 THB in Bank?

16 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

As usual UJ has it covered.

The issue is some immigration offices and or officers will not accept account with no bank book.

There have been reports stating that. 

Why make easy difficult.

because there are some accounts with better interest out there.

• Haha 2

As I've reported, I got by for three years with an FCD (Foreign Currency Deposit) account that the bank refused to provide a paper book for, and then hit a wall with a particular IO. She and I effectively agreed that she would give me the stamp and I would put my foreign currency into a baht account with a paper book. The time had come.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

13 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

As usual UJ has it covered.

The issue is some immigration offices and or officers will not accept account with no bank book.

There have been reports stating that. 

Why make easy difficult.

I agree. Why do THEY make easy difficult? In nearly every aspect. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, FarangULong said:

This is exactly the mindset and "reasoning", why some people will always have more than others. Because change or not, money generated at no risk/not doing anything anyway, is still money, and with inflation also being a factor, the depreciation is less.

Most, but not all, wealthy people have far more appreciation for the value of even a single dollar, than those who have less. Not talking about some daddy's boy from Dubai, but in general & esp. people who created their wealth themselves...

So how much difference in interest rate from different banks....

5 minutes ago, MasterBaker said:

You need a bank statement, not a book, here's regulations i got yesterday from immigration

Your post is good example of what some are typing. 

"Bank Statement" may or may not cut it. 

It's up to the immigration officer.

My advice, be it income method or money in the bank method...

1. Have a dedicated account for immigration purposes with a Bank Book be it an FD or Savings account.

2. Avoid foreign currency account.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, phetphet said:

You can get some savings accounts that will apply interest to the 800,000, but they will still give you a passbook. You can show that to Immigration Office.

I often see the KrungSri Mee Tai Dai mentioned in threads on the subject of interest.

HTH

It is what i have. under 1 m pays 1.1 % or 8800 a year or one box of beer a month cheers:burp:  no tax to pay.

Edited by brianthainess
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DUNROAMIN said:

Man if your worried about current interest rates for immigration purposes, you must be living on a shoe string budget.

Where do you live then? Soi Buakhao, Pattaya? In a fan room with rent 3,000 baht a month and huddled over a bottle of Chang with your room mates.  ????????

Edited by Chris.B
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, chuang said:

So how much difference in interest rate from different banks....

I have no idea, I don't live in Thailand. It's probably not going to be huge, esp. being that interest is generally low these days, but it's better than nothing. Particularly if the money is just sitting there anyway. Why throw away free money, even if it's not much?

When I was working doing deliveries (not food, and quite a while ago), I noticed something.. those living in the run down apartments/lower end apartment blocks were always far more likely to tip me, particularly come Christmas time. They'd be the ones leaving me 10 Euros, sometimes even 20.

The ones with the nice houses, that are 500k-750k (Euros, not Dollarettes) a pop at minimum, didn't give me <deleted>. I only ever got money from one of those houses.

Don't get me wrong, a) I didn't feel entitled to anything (huge problem nowadays, seen some of these kiddos rage over getting a 20 dollar tip, for ONE delivery, claiming it's not enough...) and b) I don't think it was greed.

They simply didn't consider giving me even one Euro, as I was just doing my job, and because they have more appreciation for their money. It's just a euro, or ten or 20. Nothing really. But it's money that can go into an investment (obv. with other money). I learned from that, to appreciate my money more, and to always get max value out of it, when possible.

I'm 36, I work less than 25 hours per week and I make more money than the average person in my country.. Which has one of the highest living standards in the World.

Cute doggo, btw. I have a Rottweiler girl myself. Best dogs imo. 20210917_110341.thumb.jpg.e7ba906a6010038db0563ef7c73a8917.jpg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MasterBaker said:

You need a bank statement, not a book, here's regulations i got yesterday from immigration

20220113_084203.jpg

I suppose it depends on your particular immigration office. Here in Samui they wanted an up to date copy AND the original passbook at my last extension..

• Like 1

OP, thinking much of this is off topic. 

In first couple of replies it was stated that it depends on your imagination office. 

It may even depend on which io.

If your that keen to have an account that does not provide a Bank Book then you would need to ask you immigration office. 

Don't think you even stated imm office.

Thought that would be a start. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MasterBaker said:

For the record I extended my retirement visa at Jomtien last month and they did ask for my bank book at immigration. I had already given them the bank letter and statement.

Then again somebody could do the same today and they wont ask for it. It's a spin of the roulette wheel as always.

• Like 2