Gov’t Spokesman: 1.55 billion allocated since 2019 to address ASF

snoop1130

7242c4dedca690e7c6b99e96d76248c8_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - The government has responded to criticism regarding its handling of the African Swine Fever outbreak in Thailand, saying measures have been taken since 2019 to mitigate the impact on pig farmers.

Government Spokesman Thanakorn Wangboonkongchana today emphasized the government’s actions against the spread of African Swine Fever (ASF) in Thailand, with the animal disease control operations having been active since 2019 to control the outbreak.

He said the government was first notified of the regional ASF spread from China in 2018, after which Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha ordered animal disease control units to carry out swift operations.

Since 2019, the Cabinet has allocated 1.55 billion baht to control the spread, as well as the development of animal vaccines to sustainably control the situation.

Mr. Thanakorn said technological and scientific knowledge has been utilized for risk assessment and epidemiological control, adding that the private sector has been very understanding of the situation and that the situation should not affect general consumers and the export sector.

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2022-01-14

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

18 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

adding that the private sector has been very understanding of the situation and that the situation should not affect general consumers and the export sector.

Well it effects both ,general consumers having to pay much more per Kg , and Exports ,as you

should not be allowed to export animals while African swine fever is in Thailand.

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

4 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Since 2019, the Cabinet has allocated 1.55 billion baht to control the spread, as well as the development of animal vaccines to sustainably control the situation.

This is the second time this week  we have been told that Thailand is developing a vaccine for ASF,this disease has been about for 100 years ,other countries have  been trying for a good few years to make a vaccine ,what makes you think that Thailand can make one ,same as what has happened to the Thai Covid-19 vaccine.

Again we were told only 5 days ago Thailand does not have ASF but the government have allocated 1.55 billion baht to control the spread since when.

I have a Thai friend who works for the DLD ,Department of Livestock Development ,he said they is a lot of corruption in the DLD,I would say this money has lined a good few pockets ,you should have gone to his  nephew's  wedding ,no expense speared ,all on his salary ,I do not think so .

They are mow shutting the stable door after the pig has bolted ,trying to control it, and it is farmers losing money ,and Thai consumers now paying a lot  more for their pork and they lunchtime bowl of noddles .due to their miss management 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Well it effects both ,general consumers having to pay much more per Kg , and Exports ,as you

should not be allowed to export animals while African swine fever is in Thailand.

regards worgeordie

I am not sure, but does the ban on Exports also include pork products, and is there any specific International agreement / law that prohibits the movement of Animals and products.

I know yesterday there was a kind of hoo- haa over ASF being found in some Thai Sausages that were Exported to Taiwan, I believe

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Yes there is, 

regards worgeordie

I thought there was, but I was not sure, as when I posted recently that I believed ASF to be up there with Foot and Mouth as a notifiable disease, I received a few laughter emoji,s .

That might explain why the disease has not been notified from Thailand until now. 

I am also sure that the Thai Vaccine cure for ASF will be as good as their cure for Cancer.

• Like 1