Swedish man reportedly attacked by two Thai men on Pattaya Beach for no reason

webfact

11 hours ago, Virt said:
22 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That article is more than 4 years old and even if the same rules apply today, it does not describe it is forbidden to drink on the beach.

Drinking alcohol in temples, pharmacies, schools, gas stations and public parks is illegal and punishable by a fine of up to 10,000 baht and/or up to 6 months imprisonment.

That the article is four years old does not matter, laws don't have expiry dates!   Section 31 (7) of the Act covers "other places" and local districts, such as Pattaya, have the power to not allow alcohol consumption on the beach.    

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, bangon04 said:

Whatever the true story.. this is another lovely little story which will add to the glorious image of Thailand in the nordic mindset....

Yes. Clearly Thailand is not safe for tourists unless in an organised tour group. In future Scandinavians should be offered protection, armed if necessary to help them avoid trouble.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Yes. Clearly Thailand is not safe for tourists unless in an organised tour group. In future Scandinavians should be offered protection, armed if necessary to help them avoid trouble.

If this happened in any western country, anyone believe this would have been a story? Or anyone would have reported it to the police? 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Hummin said:

If this happened in any western country, anyone believe this would have been a story? Or anyone would have reported it to the police? 

Scandinavians should be warned about a street in Pattaya called Soi 6 where there is very loud music that could be dangerous and there are Thai  girls who feel free to talk to foreigners without permission!

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Scandinavians should be warned about a street in Pattaya called Soi 6 where there is very loud music that could be dangerous and there are Thai  girls who feel free to talk to foreigners without permission!

It sounds like they should be more worried about being randomly attacked by Thai people on the beach at 11pm...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Yes. Clearly Thailand is not safe for tourists unless in an organised tour group. In future Scandinavians should be offered protection, armed if necessary to help them avoid trouble

I don't think anyone is saying anything that extreme.  It's more that they are pointing out that Thai people attacking random tourists without provocation is bad for the image of Thailand.  I'm not sure how you can't see that.

38 minutes ago, Hummin said:

You need to understand how this kind of story feeds a certain  narrative which in turn creates revenue and thus attracts advertising.  It is sensationalist nonesense but it 'sells' and there is always a pool of ignorance to be exploited as evidenced by UK newspapers like the Mail and Sun. Their success is not based on thoughtful stories based on gravitas and decency. Not only would stories like this not be reported in other countries they would be torn to shreds by responsible journalistic authorities and the organs that promoted them censured.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Nickelbeer said:
On 1/17/2022 at 4:57 AM, shdmn said:

There is ALWAYS a reason and it usually involves the farang doing something stupid or being an ahole.  

The eternal whinge of the Thai apologist.  Thai good - farang bad.

I don’t think anyone would be a Thai apologist to identify that the possibility that that there was a ‘triggering’ action by the Swede - we’ve only heard one side of the story. 

But... to suggest there is ALWAYS a reason is not true.... the Thai guys could have simply been utter ayholes looking for an easy target which could have been anyone of any nationality on their own. 

--------

Some people do go out of their way to look for issues as if their life has an underlying frustration they cannot get rid of and thus vent through other means. 

Just the other day I was crossing the road...   plenty of time, plenty of space, quiet road  I’d nearly reached the other side and a Motorcycle taxi driver rode right up to me.. and hit his horn repeatedly... looked at me angrily - I was clearly in his way !!!....     Now, I wasn’t dawdling across the road carelessly, he had plenty of space to go around me, he had plenty of time to adjust his speed slightly... but he rode directly towards me, slammed on his brakes as he reached me...  then beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep,  !!!  He’d looked for conflict. 

I just looked at him an ignored him.....  

.....   it would have been easy to get triggered by such actions and react...   he probably had 15 friends sitting nearby.... 

Fortunately, in Bangkok at least, this level of ‘overt aggression’ is extremely rare - In Pattaya, I’m not so sure. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I don’t think anyone would be a Thai apologist to identify that the possibility that that there was a ‘triggering’ action by the Swede - we’ve only heard one side of the story. 

But... to suggest there is ALWAYS a reason is not true.... the Thai guys could have simply been utter ayholes looking for an easy target which could have been anyone of any nationality on their own. 

--------

Some people do go out of their way to look for issues as if their life has an underlying frustration they cannot get rid of and thus vent through other means. 

Just the other day I was crossing the road...   plenty of time, plenty of space, quiet road  I’d nearly reached the other side and a Motorcycle taxi driver rode right up to me.. and hit his horn repeatedly... looked at me angrily - I was clearly in his way !!!....     Now, I wasn’t dawdling across the road carelessly, he had plenty of space to go around me, he had plenty of time to adjust his speed slightly... but he rode directly towards me, slammed on his brakes as he reached me...  then beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep,  !!!  He’d looked for conflict. 

I just looked at him an ignored him.....  

.....   it would have been easy to get triggered by such actions and react...   he probably had 15 friends sitting nearby.... 

Fortunately, in Bangkok at least, this level of ‘overt aggression’ is extremely rare - In Pattaya, I’m not so sure. 

Just ban Thais from tourist areas like in the Gambia and DR. You never hear stories from these countries  about foreigners getting attacked.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

27 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

The solution is to ban Thais from tourist areas. Thais  need to be reminded that possession of an airline ticket by a farang is a kind of 'license  or freedom pass'.

I think it's very important to remind 'farang' of their rights in this respect. They are above the law and beyond reproach!

During Covid the Thais have been taking back their country. Never seen so many Thais where we frequently travelled before Covid. Especially hotels that almost only westerns used to live is now fully booked by Thais during weekends and holidays

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Hummin said:

During Covid the Thais have been taking back their country. Never seen so many Thais where we frequently travelled before Covid. Especially hotels that almost only westerns used to live is now fully booked by Thais during weekends and holidays

Yes and this has highlighted the really weird arrogance of white expats who don't recognise Thais. An example  is a few weeks ago I mentioned to a local bar owner that beach Rd was 'rammed' with thousands of people out having a great time,  eating  drinking, listening  to music, watching fireworks..The whole area was packed for the first time in months but his response was just dismissive: " Only Thais..no Farang?" As though they don't count! As one of those  foreigners resident in Pattaya who leaves during the High season I know Pattaya is a more dangerous  and violent place when it's full of tourists and its not Thais causing the problems usually.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Farang have no rights.  Never have, never will.

• Haha 1

On 1/16/2022 at 9:57 PM, shdmn said:

There is ALWAYS a reason and it usually involves the farang doing something stupid or being an ahole.  

Nope, S can just happen. Perhaps when you get off your couch and into the world you can have one just the same one day. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I like the idea of arming farangs. When a Thai thug stops a few 38 calibre slugs, he usually changes course.

The solution is to ban Thais from tourist areas. Thais  need to be reminded that possession of an airline ticket by a farang is a kind of 'license  or freedom pass'.

I think it's very important to remind 'farang' of their rights in this respect. They are above the law and beyond reproach!

Or just don't randomly attack tourists?

Just ban Thais from tourist areas like in the Gambia and DR. You never hear stories from these countries  about foreigners getting attacked.

I don't think the incident reported in the OP warrants Thais being banned from anywhere.  Do Thais sometimes attack tourists/foreigners without provocation?  Sure, but not at the level that would warrant banning anyone from anywhere.

Just see that the Thais that randomly attacked this tourist face some form of punishment to show that it is not accepted.  That's all that is needed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

During Covid the Thais have been taking back their country.

Foreigners never took it from them in the first place.  They never had to allow any non-Thais to stay in Thailand if they didn't want to.  They need the money, even if they don't want the foreign people here.

Nobody is taking anything back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Lets not throw the baby out with the bathwater Hoss. Let's just ban about 75% of the Pattaya population carrying the XY chromosome.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, jacko45k said:

It is something that would almost certainly get left behind somewhere. I just do not see how they are more convenient than pockets.... women seem to spend most of their time fumbling around in them. I carry my Kindle book reader or tablet computer in it for when I stop at a bar and relax.

True, but that's because they often carry much more in the bag than men can carry in their pockets. Most men ask their partners to put cumbersome inconvenient things in their handbags rathe than wandering around with it clutched in their sweaty paws all day. It used to be everything but the kitchen sink and then someone invented 'Wet Wipes'. I don't take mine off when I am away from home and it has a strap with steel threads to prevent it being cut. Zips on every pocket and a zipped internal security pocket for my wallet and passport, much safer than bulging trouser pockets, which are easily picked. Mine is thick brown leather and looks more like a small man's document bag slung over my shoulder rather than a ladies handbag.

1642497460131-1029504560.jpg