Does anyone know if you can get a meeting with a prosecuting attorney in Pattaya?

Longwood50

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Have you taken to the Land Office?  Would seem first port of call if they suggested doing it.

The Land Office in Thailand is an unusual agency.  They are charged with taking in documents and approving Juristic Entities.  However they do not investigate anything, nor do they take any enforcement action.  The documents submitted can be totally fabricated, or not turned in at all and the only recourse is a lawsuit.  

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

I can ask my friend who is a lawyer in Pattaya but please explain what is "prosecuting attorney" you're referring to?...

In most countries the prosecuting attorney works for the government and brings charges against defendants for breaking the law.  In the USA the prosecuting attorneys will bring charges not only for criminal offenses but also when a party is guilty of violating some government law.  Example would be a person who fails to obtain a building permit, or discharges pollution into a river etc.  

In Thailand the prosecutors office handles criminal offenses.  So if you were charged with homicide, arson, theft etc. the police arrest you and the prosecuting attorney decides if he/she has sufficient cause to charge you with the offense and take you in front of the court to determine your guilt and determine your punishment. 

The prosecuting attorney in Thailand will generally not deal with minor offenses.  However one thing unusual in Thailand is unlike the USA a private citizen can bring a lawsuit charging another with a criminal and/or a civil offense.  

So an example might be your neighbor deliberately damages your home.  You are allowed to sue them civilly for damages and criminally for vandalism. 

In my case, I am seeking the opinion of a "neutral" party familiar with the courts system to view the videotape and see if it rises to the level of assault as defined in Thailand.  Yes I can go to a private attorney, show them the video but they will be biased in favor of bringing charges to earn a fee even if they know that realistically the Thai courts will not show the action to be assault. 

I have a situation where the entity here has not been legal for many years, never went to the land office, never has provided any income or expense statements, never had votes on the community fees etc. And pressed by us has submitted to the land office documents with false elections, signatures of people not in attendance etc.  The land office said, they had no way of ascertaining who attended etc and suggested taping the meetings to evidence them.  That led to the altercation when they realized that the videotapes would be proof certain of what really was occurring at the meetings and they could no longer fabricate the happenings at the meetings. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

This is Thailand ....  not the US.    You are asking for a Thai lawyer to prosecute a thai person who grabbed you in a meeting. 

Which is precisely the reason I would like a "thai" third party prosecutor to look at the video.  If the person said "no way" will this person be convicted then why go through the effort. 

Edited by Longwood50
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bbko said:

I doubt you get to speak with a prosecuting attorney before any charges are filed,

The police report has been filed.  Already know that they will not pursue the matter as it is regarded as not worth their time to pursue.  As I have repeatedly said, I can go to an attorney for an opinion but such an opinion will be biased given they will want to file the lawsuit and earn their fees.  I was hopeful that someone knew of a way to contact a prosecuting attorney to view the videotape.  That prosecuting attorney would not be expected to pursue the case, merely advise if the action met the standard under the Thai law as assault.  

3 hours ago, Longwood50 said:

In most countries the prosecuting attorney works for the government and brings charges against defendants for breaking the law.  In the USA the prosecuting attorneys will bring charges not only for criminal offenses but also when a party is guilty of violating some government law.  Example would be a person who fails to obtain a building permit, or discharges pollution into a river etc.  

In Thailand the prosecutors office handles criminal offenses.  So if you were charged with homicide, arson, theft etc. the police arrest you and the prosecuting attorney decides if he/she has sufficient cause to charge you with the offense and take you in front of the court to determine your guilt and determine your punishment. 

The prosecuting attorney in Thailand will generally not deal with minor offenses.  However one thing unusual in Thailand is unlike the USA a private citizen can bring a lawsuit charging another with a criminal and/or a civil offense.  

So an example might be your neighbor deliberately damages your home.  You are allowed to sue them civilly for damages and criminally for vandalism. 

In my case, I am seeking the opinion of a "neutral" party familiar with the courts system to view the videotape and see if it rises to the level of assault as defined in Thailand.  Yes I can go to a private attorney, show them the video but they will be biased in favor of bringing charges to earn a fee even if they know that realistically the Thai courts will not show the action to be assault. 

I have a situation where the entity here has not been legal for many years, never went to the land office, never has provided any income or expense statements, never had votes on the community fees etc. And pressed by us has submitted to the land office documents with false elections, signatures of people not in attendance etc.  The land office said, they had no way of ascertaining who attended etc and suggested taping the meetings to evidence them.  That led to the altercation when they realized that the videotapes would be proof certain of what really was occurring at the meetings and they could no longer fabricate the happenings at the meetings. 

I'd avoid dark alleyways if you pursue this.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Longwood50 said:

If so, I could imagine that you'd have to join a long queue, and that you'd have to be very patient.

There's a whole building full of prosecutor or what they call themselves attorney general in Pattaya

they do pro bono work and do meet with public to file things like wills and such, so they have an office you can get to

Normally the police is the front line that decides if they forward case to the prosecutor to charge for criminal case

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, digbeth said:

Normally the police is the front line that decides if they forward case to the prosecutor to charge for criminal case

What I have determined is that the police will pursue only cases they deem severe enough offenses.  So if you beat up someone, rob them, stab them, or shoot them, they will look into the matter.  

I recognize that this action would not rise to interest the police in taking action.  That is not to say that it would not constitute assault.  Those here can conjecture that it is a waste of time, or does not rise to an assault offense but none of us is familiar enough with the Thai legal system to determine that.  

That is why I have asked if someone knows if a person can seek a government prosecuting attorney to merely look at the video and say yes it does, or no it doesn't. 

1 hour ago, Longwood50 said:

I would give you a penny for your thoughts but seems overpriced. 

While the thread is on that tack:

I live in a village in the UK during the Summer.

I've never encountered a "Juristic Entity" and don't ever expect to.

I live in an Isaan village during the Winter and have never encountered.......etc......

Have you actually bought into one of those jam packed, box-housing estates, which is essentially a condominium lying on its side, where you have to constantly get into tiresome meetings with a bunch of near strangers to negotiate your way through your life?

From what you say, and what people who have bought into condominiums say about similar situations, it sounds like a complete ******* nightmare way to live.

Sorry not to be helpful, but thanks for spurring me to express a thought that has been on my mind for some time.

Goodnight and best of luck.

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 1

The Criminal Procedure Code
TITLE I
GENERAL PROVISIONS

Section 3 Persons specified in sections 4, 5 and 6 have the power to act on behalf of the injured person according to the conditions provided in those sections as follows:

To lodge a complaint;
To constitute a criminal prosecution or join with the Public Prosecutor in a criminal prosecution;
To enter a civil claim in connection with an offence;
To withdraw a criminal charge or a civil claim in connection with an offence;
To compound a compoundable offence.

Section 4. above: "Injured Person" means a person who has received injury through the commission of any offence

https://www.samuiforsale.com/law-texts/thai-criminal-procedure-code.html

17 hours ago, petermik said:

There`s a saying that goes....peeing into the wind....think about it and stop wasting your time...as many have quoted TIT...

17 hours ago, Longwood50 said:

I would give you a penny for your thoughts but seems overpriced. 

17 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

I'd avoid dark alleyways if you pursue this.

16 hours ago, treetops said:

Doesn't sound like assault, it sounds like he grabbed you twice.

Longwood has a very high opinion of himself and is above accepting any constructive advice....I have contacted Vera in the UK as a top femail detective she is ready and willing to take on this monumental case for the OP......????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1