I cant decide if I should take out private health insurance or not whilst living in Thailand.

davidst01

Ive been living here in Thailand under 10 yrs and have never had private health insurance. 

Im middle aged and fast on the way to 60 yrs old. Its a hard decision to make as to whether or not I should take out private health insurance. 

I looked at Cigna global insurance and for their mid range plan I would be paying 12,000 baht a month with no outpatient cover. But unlimited inpatient etc. Also, it covers travel to other countries excl' some countries. But if I go back home Im covered there for x amount of days. Cigna global will allow me to continue coverage up to age 99 yrs old. 

I was a teacher yrs ago and after quitting opted to pay the 400 baht a month Social security and thus have access to the local govt hospital. I have used that a couple of times but dislike the waiting etc. 

Over a 10 yr period I would be paying 1.2 million baht in premiums. If I end up in Bumrungrad with something serious it could easily cost 1 million. So it seems that its worth the money? Cigna global do allow their customers to go to any of the big hospitals in Bangkok. It therefore seems appealing to me. 

Please list your reasons for having private health ins' or not having it- if you're currently living in the LOS. 

thanks

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, davidst01 said:

Over a 10 yr period I would be paying 1.2 million baht in premiums. If I end up in Bumrungrad with something serious it could easily cost 1 million.

It's never that easy

• Like 1

Do you have enough money in the bank to be able to live without health insurance?

Obviously paying 12k per month is annoying. But if it give you peace of mind then probably it is a good idea to spend that money. What would otherwise happen if you need an operation for several hundred thousand THB?

Maybe also think about your risks: Are you riding around with a motorcycle? Are you healthy?

And last but not least if you develop a chronic illness without health insurance then it is possible that no health insurance wants to insure you anymore at any age at any price.

Personally I didn't have a health insurance in Thailand when I was younger. Now I have one, and it feels good. And when I talk to others who don't have an insurance that is always a nice reminder that it's good that I have one.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, steven100 said:

look for a good sickness cover that includes hospital and possible medivac and go from there.

Pacific cross

AXA

Bupa

Cigna

I am looking for a good and inexpensive insurance coverage for Covid (Thailand Pass) for use in the future. And possibly emergencies in the future.

Which one do you recommend?

I pay about 150K baht for me and the wife, we're both under 50.

I use Regency.

I'm not insuring against a bump or graze but something serious, long term illness or anything that requires long term hospital time, or a bad accident.

Here's an example:

A friend of mine had a fit, so was taken to A & E byhis girlfriend, checked him out and was allowed to leave, as leaving he had another fit so off to ICU and many tests.

His bill for 2 nights in ICU was more than 200K, so yeah would n't take long to rack up a decent bill.

He is also under 50 and turns out he had epilectic fits, never had any before or since.

If you are not yet 60 years old, then 12,000 THB a month sounds rather expensive, (unless you have some existing medical conditions).

I am insured with April International (France).  This is $1 million USD cover, including $1M Covid cover, medivac etc etc.  I'm almost 63 years old and I pay about 7,600 THB per month.  Prior to choosing April, I seriously considered Cigna, but decided that their premiums were somewhat high when compared to other expat insurers.

I use Integra Global from the UK. Global insurance including the US and Canada. Permitted 180 days per year in US and Canada. You can opt for coverage to not include and premium is much less expensive. I have never had any issues with claims.

I use Aetna Thailand for the remainder of family members. Aetna also provides World coverage if needed. Never a problem with Aetna either and we have had many claims.

6 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

I pay about 150K baht for me and the wife, we're both under 50.

I use Regency.

I'm not insuring against a bump or graze but something serious, long term illness or anything that requires long term hospital time, or a bad accident.

Here's an example:

A friend of mine had a fit, so was taken to A & E byhis girlfriend, checked him out and was allowed to leave, as leaving he had another fit so off to ICU and many tests.

His bill for 2 nights in ICU was more than 200K, so yeah would n't take long to rack up a decent bill.

He is also under 50 and turns out he had epilectic fits, never had any before or since.

Under 50 OK,   2 nights ICU  ,could have stayed on ward. Anything prolonged/life changing/recovery doubtful, needs a re think of staying in Thailand

13 hours ago, swissie said:

OP: If the your "Cigna" deal is still intact afer having read "the fine print", go for it.  If (at the time), I would have come across such a deal, I would still be living in Thailand.

why is that? what happened in your situation. please tell the story as it might benefit me or others reading it. thanks

7 hours ago, fredscats said:

Under 50 OK,   2 nights ICU  ,could have stayed on ward. Anything prolonged/life changing/recovery doubtful, needs a re think of staying in Thailand

not if you have insurance?? thats the reason why people pay the money... to cover high bills incurred

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nino3 said:

I use Integra Global from the UK. Global insurance including the US and Canada. Permitted 180 days per year in US and Canada. You can opt for coverage to not include and premium is much less expensive. I have never had any issues with claims.

so is that company a known and good company in the uk?

Its good that they have always paid your claims. I might look at them

thanks

12 hours ago, simon43 said:

If you are not yet 60 years old, then 12,000 THB a month sounds rather expensive, (unless you have some existing medical conditions).

I am insured with April International (France).  This is $1 million USD cover, including $1M Covid cover, medivac etc etc.  I'm almost 63 years old and I pay about 7,600 THB per month.  Prior to choosing April, I seriously considered Cigna, but decided that their premiums were somewhat high when compared to other expat insurers.

Sheryl is with that company as well. 

Have you ever made a claim with them? 

I thought myself last week that 12k a month was a bit much. 

I might research April more. See how long they have been around for

thanks

1 minute ago, davidst01 said:

not if you have insurance?? thats the reason why people pay the money... to cover high bills incurred

False cover,some joker small cover stated what if I needed liver transplant?  yeah right     If needed say big operation,costing 3 million plus,but that would be selective/elective,easily gotten at twentieth of Thai price nearby,but then aftercare,outpatient,not nearly as covered,hardly at all,fact is Id say not covered would send you winging your way back home  pretty damned quick     (has happened)

It is so expensive for what you get. I have accident insurance, and for my wife as well. It comes with inexpensive term life insurance. So, we end up self insuring, with some accident protection. Unless something catastrophic happens, we end up way ahead of the game. Personally, I despise insurance companies. They are a real mafia. 

Edited by spidermike007

15 minutes ago, davidst01 said:

Sheryl is with that company as well. 

Have you ever made a claim with them? 

I thought myself last week that 12k a month was a bit much. 

I might research April more. See how long they have been around for

thanks

I've never made a claim with them.  I use medical insurance as a 'black swan', to pay for heart transplant, cancer treatment etc. I try to stay as healthy and fit as possible, and envisage claiming only if I have some serious accident or illness.  But I haven't heard anything bad about them in terms of paying out on a valid claim.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, simon43 said:

I've never made a claim with them.  I use medical insurance as a 'black swan', to pay for heart transplant, cancer treatment etc. I try to stay as healthy and fit as possible, and envisage claiming only if I have some serious accident or illness.  But I haven't heard anything bad about them in terms of paying out on a valid claim.

Even if you don't claim, insurers can look at hospital records and find out where you've been and then deem it a pre-existing condition and not cover and even then cancel your whole policy and other complications, hopefully that's just a Thai company thing

• Like 2

12 hours ago, davidst01 said:

so is that company a known and good company in the uk?

Its good that they have always paid your claims. I might look at them

thanks

Not sure how known it is by UK citizens as I am from the US. All I know is that I have had a policy with them since 2009 and had no issues with communication or claims in Thailand or the US.

Your social security covers you for thailand pass. 
if you go abroad you get travel insurance for some $100 per month. 

with your social security you are covered for all conditions. If you cant wait or need better medical option you go private. Doesnt have to be the most expensive hospital. The cheap/medium range private will be as good for a fraction of price. 

for the last ten years you have saved some 1mln in premiums. 
You dont have to jump from no having any private insurance to one of the best and most expensive one with unlimited inpatient. You can get still good 3mln for below 50k. You can lower premium by very high deductible. 
or get very basic 300k below 20k per year. Basic ones dont offer deductible. 
Be sure to top up with the highest possible for accident. 
no, you dont need an outpatient. You still have aftercare for some 30 days per year. 
in your place i would not do any health insurance yet. But do get the accident. 
Do yearly full body check ups, just some 5k at any government hospital (possible lower with your ss).
if you have spare some 12k per month do invest it, even by getting bitcoin. That would be your health insurance where ever in the world you will be in time for need

Edited by internationalism

20 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Even if you don't claim, insurers can look at hospital records and find out where you've been and then deem it a pre-existing condition and not cover and even then cancel your whole policy and other complications, hopefully that's just a Thai company thing

Doubt it.

Private hospital would clear out the pot in minutes,need a hefty premium to be OK

Evaluate when over 60 plus,get rid of things that keep you here  Dose of cancer? easily cut out,but it spreads,time to go,far too many have hung on,paying a fortune,only for all their efforts to fail,dying not long after when realisation sinks in and after fleeing   That magical dose of morphine,is but seconds away back 'ome  when pain gets too bad,here not so

After major surgery probably in no fit state to fly anyway,save the money  fly business class,far less haste at pitching you out than coach