Kanchanaburi murder latest: Funeral held for deceased Brit, crowdfunding appeal started for attempted murder victim

webfact

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

Show up at your friend's funeral wearing shorts, flip flops, and a T shirt? And smoking a cigarette? 

I doubt if he packed a black suit, white shirt, black tie and black shoes for his trip to Thailand. ????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

There are some conflicting statements, like holiday and travel insurance that ran out due to the incident; if the incident happened before the travel insurance ran out, shouldn't mr. Dagnan be covered? Or has mr. Dagnan been staying three years in Thailand with his wife without insurance? And playing loud music at 3 am, what happened before the attack - from the photos in the first news article about the incident, it looked like the two men were staying in a terraced house like glued to their neighbors - did somebody ask them to reduce the music sound level or stop the noisy party before the attack?

Of course nobody shall be killed or even attacked because of loud music - a very sad incident - but don't forget that TIT.

2 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

I doubt if he packed a black suit, white shirt, black tie and black shoes for his trip to Thailand. ????

Just planned on being a bum? You don't need to travel like you're Cosmo Topper, but you should be at least be able to put on trousers, a clean shirt, and a tie. At least the guy on the far right in the photo managed to put on his dress sneakers.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, pagallim said:

Wrong.   His visits were never longer than a maximum of 3 months (still working in the UK) and 90 reports are only applicable for visa extension purposes.   Given that you cannot enter Thailand currently without health insurance, you are wrong again.   I have no doubt his insurance would have only been applicable up until the date of what has been his delayed departure.   That said, an insurance claim for an event that happened within the insured period should still be met.

"an insurance claim for an event that happened within the insured period should still be met."

What should happen and what could happen are two very different things.

If someone coming on holiday for three weeks and has insurance for three weeks, then has to make a claim for something that happened on these three weeks, surely the insurance company cannot refuse to pay out for treatment that lasts longer than those three weeks.

Insurance companies do not have bad reputations for no reason.

• Confused 1

31 minutes ago, Jim P said:

The article says he lived in Thailand for 3 years with his wife. If he arrived in December he would have had a minimum of $50,000 medical insurance for the duration of his stay. If he cancelled his flight home and didn`t extend his insurance that`s pretty stupid with the endless possibilities that it may be required for. As they say, up to him, but it`s not Go Fund Me worthy imo.

What the article says and the actual reality is different.   In essence he has regularly visited his partner in Kanchanaburi for the past three years, working full time in the UK and travelling here for a few weeks/month at a time various times of the year.   He is not here full time.   You are correct he would have had to have had medical insurance for the duration of his current visit.   I guess lying in hospital with critical injuries (fractured skull etc) may have cause him to have had a memory lapse about cancelling his flight home and extending his insurance.

3 hours ago, chuang said:

Crowdfunding seems to be the norm...for everything and anything..LOL

Yes. Can I set a crowdfunding thing up for people to pay for my life so I do t have to work or do anything for myself as I am too lazy?

I'll say I have life anxiety or triggered by having to make my own money. Lol

6 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

An excuse often used by the RTP is that perpetrators have mental issues....often resulting in a lesser sentence....and maybe a reward for the police

Why would the police need "an excuse" and for what?   

Why would they be rewarded for collaring a mentally disturbed murderer as opposed to an unchallenged murderer?

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, JonnyF said:

The last thing Thailand needs is another Daily Mail story about "Brit ripped off by hospital after slashing murder in Thailand" headline.

He has not been "ripped off" by any hospital and not many people give a flying toss about whatever <deleted> the Mail publishes!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Highend Expat said:
11 hours ago, webfact said:

A 22 year old Thai man, reportedly with mental health problems, is helping police with their inquiries in the western Thai city of Kanchanaburi. 

Hmmm... That's two reports with language framing the Thai suapect in a positive light. Strange. 

Deliberate translation or something else?

He's already been charged with murder and attempted murder so perhaps it's just accurate reporting, why should it be anything else?

2 hours ago, pagallim said:

I have no doubt his insurance would have only been applicable up until the date of what has been his delayed departure.   That said, an insurance claim for an event that happened within the insured period should still be met.

"...an insurance claim for an event that happened within the insured period should still be met.".

Only if the claim is made within the policy term, i.e. before it expires!  

2 hours ago, roo860 said:
3 hours ago, John Drake said:

Show up at your friend's funeral wearing shorts, flip flops, and a T shirt? And smoking a cigarette? 

It's what his dead mate wanted.

How do you know, how would he know?  Had they discussed his funeral arrangements while they were getting rat-arse_d?

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, roo860 said:

It's what his dead mate wanted.

If that's the case, those in the photos showing respect by wearing long trousers and shoes should hang their heads in shame at letting him down.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, pagallim said:

He already works full time in the UK, and only travels to Thailand to visit his partner for a few weeks or a month at a time over a year.   She works full time here as a chef.   He arrived this time in December and would have left this week.

Who?  The murdered man or his pal?  Or are they both married to "chefs"?

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

What do you want him to wear, a suit, collar and tie?

How about trousers and shoes like the others shown in the photos and leave the fags until the ceremony has finished?   Doesn't seem too unreasonable.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Who?  The murdered man or his pal?  Or are they both married to "chefs"?

Don't know the circumstances of the guy who died, or his partner, though I believe he too worked outside of Thailand.   Shaun Dagnan (the injured man) I don't know personally, though am friends with people who know him well, and his partner is a chef in a bar restaurant that I use when I'm in Kanchanaburi (last time I was there November 2021).

Edited by pagallim

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

How about trousers and shoes like the others shown in the photos and leave the fags until the ceremony has finished?   Doesn't seem unreasonable.

I agree about the wearing of shorts and the smoking, but a top, long trousers and trainers should suffice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

If someone coming on holiday for three weeks and has insurance for three weeks, then has to make a claim for something that happened on these three weeks, surely the insurance company cannot refuse to pay out for treatment that lasts longer than those three weeks.

Was it reported that "his insurer" has refused to pay his claim?