51-year-old man dies while making a U-turn on his motorbike in Chonburi

snoop1130

272888640_3390354257755157_38125562011658098_n-696x392.jpg

PHOTO: Nong Maidang rescue team

A 51-year-old motorbike rider has been pronounced dead at the scene after his motorbike collided with a pickup truck during a U-turn in the Phan Thong district yesterday (January 31st).

Emergency responders arrived at the scene to find the body of Mr. Boonying Sirijunto, 51, lying on the road. Nearby, they found the damaged motorbike and the pickup truck.

Full Story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/02/01/51-year-old-man-dies-while-making-a-u-turn-on-his-motorbike-in-chonburi/

PattayaNews.jpg

-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-02-01

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

And the liklihood he was wearing a helmet ? pretty much zero and likely the primary reason for death which may have otherwise been avoidable..... 

Of course...  one of our most reliable pedants will be along soon to inform us that the article didn’t mention he was not wearing a helmet, thus the suspicion that he wasn’t is wrong !!!

But did he have a mask on? Some would asked this question. U-turns are everywhere and very dangerous. The streets need better signs because people do U-turns wherever they want where I live.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

But did he have a mask on? Some would asked this question. U-turns are everywhere and very dangerous. The streets need better signs because people do U-turns wherever they want where I live.

Whether he was wearing a mask is not relevant here. 

Silly to  even mention it!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

19 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

More importantly was he double vax'd and boosted ?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

I was following an elderly guy the other day on his motorcycle, he was on the far left of the small road riding very slowly, just a few shops on each side of the road.

I heard a car behind me so I moved left, and followed behind him to allow the car to pass.

Without looking, indicating or nothing the old fella swept over to the right to go to a shop.

I braked and moved left to under-cut him, the car which was right along-side me at this point braked and squealed to a stop, missing the guy by inches.

That guy was so lucky... 

The funny thing is if you take this elderly man off the the road he's a pretty nice guy. But the same guy on the road  seems to grow horns.

Condolences to family.

Yesterday I was travelling at about 40 kmph, just speeding up to change into 4th gear, when suddenly a young chap on a m/b in front and on the left (no helmet) decided to do a U turn in the middle of the road (dual carriage way, in a local market area.). Since the left was empty I veered left. But then he swerved tight right in front of me and zoomed off on my left driving the wrong way. He could only have missed a collision by inches. There was a U turn point just a few meters beyond his position that he could have used, but no.

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

I was following an elderly guy the other day on his motorcycle, he was on the far left of the small road riding very slowly, just a few shops on each side of the road.

I heard a car behind me so I moved left, and followed behind him to allow the car to pass.

Without looking, indicating or nothing the old fella swept over to the right to go to a shop.

I braked and moved left to under-cut him, the car which was right along-side me at this point braked and squealed to a stop, missing the guy by inches.

That guy was so lucky... 

Just up the road from me two women on a motorbike did the same and were hit by a pickup that was following. One dead, the other legs amputated. For what! Just ridiculous. And a few months ago my sister-in-law killed an elderly woman who crossed over a main road from a side turning and was too stupid to look both ways. Fortunately CCTV showed what had happened. I'm sorry, but both those examples and the case you refer to are just further proof of the total lack of common sense here. It's just impossible to understand why these people are so stupid.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

And the liklihood he was wearing a helmet ? pretty much zero and likely the primary reason for death which may have otherwise been avoidable..... 

Of course...  one of our most reliable pedants will be along soon to inform us that the article didn’t mention he was not wearing a helmet, thus the suspicion that he wasn’t is wrong !!!

????????......

I see the impact tore the steering yolk/handlebars right off!

RIP mate ... hope it ended quickly n painlessly for you.

I seem to have a way that if I intend to do such a manoeuvre I do my best to set it up so theres a lot of space behind me and in the oncoming lanes I am gunna turn around and into to minimise the chance of collision. It's worked so far but requires a fair bit of planning long before I get to the turn point.

The problem with ning-nongs not paying attention and rear-ending you are high here. As is the same turning right in front of you. I drive much more slowly here than I did in Oz which always gives more reaction time - 3 second rule. I'm not an annoying tortoise but much slower.

Having said that I don't usually do the u-turn job, preferring to turning positively and definitively (quickly) into a side soi, drive up the road a-ways, turn around, then come back to the corner and turn left. It's nowhere near the same as Oz or Europe here and I gotta always remember that when behind the wheel. 

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

That guy was so lucky... 

Just postponing the inevitable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Just up the road from me two women on a motorbike did the same and were hit by a pickup that was following. One dead, the other legs amputated. For what! Just ridiculous. And a few months ago my sister-in-law killed an elderly woman who crossed over a main road from a side turning and was too stupid to look both ways. Fortunately CCTV showed what had happened. I'm sorry, but both those examples and the case you refer to are just further proof of the total lack of common sense here. It's just impossible to understand why these people are so stupid.

People are born with some brains but there are Many that have Never been taught to make use of them like in Learning something .

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

That guy was so lucky... 

An incident that happens hundreds of times a day.

Some riders are not so lucky

• Like 1

20 hours ago, warrima said:

RIP Sir. U turns are insanely dangerous here. Not related but I travel the Bang Na Trat fairly regularly. Having slow moving (u turning traffic) entering an overtaking lane on a highway is madness.  I'm either in or see near misses every day.

The U-Turns Of Death.  ☠️
Up here in Lamphun/CM on Highway 11 they have built multiple fly-over bridges with well engineered, safe U-turn lanes under the bridges.  And yet, travel a kilometer down the road and you have The U-Turns Of Death.
They should be closed and u-turn traffic diverted the extra 1 or 2 kilometer to the U-turn lanes under the bridges - but - Noooo!!!  "Thai driver in big big hurry and need go fast fast quick quick."  The Speed Trumps Safety insanity is built into the culture and propagated by the MOT.  Everyone is in a hurry to die and the Thai Ministry of Transportation helps them right along to their next rebirth as a BMW or Mercedes-Benz or Ferrari or perhaps a Ducati.

8 hours ago, tandor said:

...doing a U-turn in front of an approaching vehicle doing 90kmph; which he probably didn't see or estimate its speed correctly; i dont think a helmet would have saved him!...RIP.

The average Thai has poor spacial relation aptitude.  You can see it on the road all the time.  You'll be driving down the road to a ☠️U-Turn Of Death ☠️  and a car will have it's hood poked out onto the third lane, and when you're far away and they could easily cut in front of you they wait, and then when you get close to the U-Turn Of Death they pull out in front of you as the slow speed. 
Same with passing.  I drive at a moderate speed on two lane highways so people who are in big big hurry and need go fast fast quick quick will inevitably hang back when there is a clear lane to pass on, and then when you are within 100 meters of a blind corner or the top of a hill - they pass - often with a car coming the other direction who simply gets forced off the road.  It's just insane.  They have no concept of time and space.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Broken Record said:

So funny, what a complete dick, I know germanic humor is non existent, but try to have some empathy, Jesus. 

I'm not defending the guy, but your "germanic [sic] humor is non existent [sic]" comment makes you a complete dick too...

Edited by NotReallyHere

18 hours ago, vandeventer said:

Not only that but the highways and slip lanes need better lighting particuarly when so many bikes have no working rear lights

15 hours ago, connda said:

And yet, travel a kilometer down the road and you have The U-Turns Of Death.

It just seems to be the nature of the beast... if we go out to eat, and travel East, on return I will drive past the U-Turn, which I regard as dangerous at night, and go on only about another 1km, to where Hwy 36 ends, and turn back on myself there. The Mrs has derided this a few times, and prefers the U-Turn that is even more dodgy, a km or so before the one I reject.... 

Nowadays I have a few beers, let her drive back, and sit in the seat with my eyes squeezed shut. 

Edited by jacko45k