Stickman Returns

Bangkok Barry

29 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

He's a friend of mine. I once interviewed him for his site, and one Sunday he, unusually, posted a submission from me. Unusually because he never posted submissions on a Sunday but mine was my take on an evening out with Stick in my neighborhood of Udom Suk and he devoted his Sunday column to his take of the evening.

As for doing PR, I just thought that people, former readers, might know his column is returning. If you aren't fine. but there are people who are interested and would find my tip-off useful.

So can you confirm if Stickman is in Thailand?

I don't trust anybody writing about Thailand who is not in Thailand.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

So can you confirm if Stickman is in Thailand?

He isn't. As he wasn't for maybe 2-3 years before he put most of the site on hold during the pandemic. He relies on people close to the ground for info and tries to confirm its accuracy before publication, but once or twice he came unstuck.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

stickman should have an easy time filling up the column with updates as the nightlife places start to reopen.  soi 7 has been going strong for months, nana opened about two months ago, and cowboy followed nana.  the soi 7 beer bar complex is almost 100% outdoors/open air.  the inside of the go go bars at nana and cowboy are not open (except for toilet use) but the patios are open and busy most nights.  cowboy was deserted for a few weeks after new years as they started requiring a negative test to enter the soi.  that ended recently so things are going again there.  a friend of mine claims he ate dinner inside what most of us call rainbow 4, i think it was a restaurant a few decades ago.  they don't have much of a patio going there but somehow they are open.  i was also told one go go was doing shows inside but i'll withold the name for now. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

He isn't. As he wasn't for maybe 2-3 years before he put most of the site on hold during the pandemic. He relies on people close to the ground for info and tries to confirm its accuracy before publication, but once or twice he came unstuck.

Thanks for your honest answer.

Many years ago when Stickman was in Thailand and when he enjoyed the nightlife he had useful information.

And then, after he left Thailand, his information was often inaccurate. Some people even say he made paid promotions of boring places.

The fact that he is not on the ground means he won't really know what is going on. Anybody of us who goes to Nana or Cowboy and talks to people will be able to get a better picture of what is going on.

Maybe Stickman is good enough for tourists from far away...

• Haha 2

Not sure if the same person but there is a Chris (American) in CM that has a website (tielandtothailand dot com) and a FB group (Tieland To Thailand).  A few years ago it was he and his wife but they (I'm guessing) went back to the US during the pandemic.  He came back (sans the wife) to CM a few months ago and has had a few posts recently.

I meant to answer Freedomnow's post but it didn't work ????

Edited by howlee101
added more info

Guest Isaanlife

Stickman hasn't lived in Thailand for a few years.

He lives in New Zealand.

So why try to write a column about Thailand that has changed 1000% since that time when he has no first hand knowledge?

It is all a money grab for him.

Don't need to be rehashing his make belief stories from years ago because he needs money.

He has no clue what Thailand is like since Covid and therefore anything he writes will be made up.

If you want to write about Thailand, at least live here and give readers an accurate story of whatever.

A person living in Thailand would have to be pretty bored and restless to resort to this.

Another one is Paddy Doyle, the Brit Youtuber that rides his 110CC Honda Dream around Thailand. Obnoxious character and obviously another money grabber to try to live in Thailand will no real skill or job. His viewership dropped and he posted a teary eyed video how sad and depressed he was because he might have to go home. My god man! If you cannot afford it, stay home!

You can only see so many videos of the same things before it really gets on a person's nerves.

I would rather see more stories like Owl See's All, Folks Building their own houses, or other things that concern real life and substance.

Guest Isaanlife
2 hours ago, buick said:

stickman should have an easy time filling up the column with updates as the nightlife places start to reopen.  soi 7 has been going strong for months, nana opened about two months ago, and cowboy followed nana.  the soi 7 beer bar complex is almost 100% outdoors/open air.  the inside of the go go bars at nana and cowboy are not open (except for toilet use) but the patios are open and busy most nights.  cowboy was deserted for a few weeks after new years as they started requiring a negative test to enter the soi.  that ended recently so things are going again there.  a friend of mine claims he ate dinner inside what most of us call rainbow 4, i think it was a restaurant a few decades ago.  they don't have much of a patio going there but somehow they are open.  i was also told one go go was doing shows inside but i'll withold the name for now. 

How is he going to do this from New Zealand?

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

As for doing PR, I just thought that people, former readers, might know his column is returning. If you aren't fine. but there are people who are interested and would find my tip-off useful.

Didn't say that I wasn't interested, I'm sure that your PR efforts here will be useful and provide him with a handful of readers.

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

A long time ago I was with a friend in the little fish and chips shop in Soi 23. We talked about the latest article from Trink and I explained to my friend what Trink wrote about computer viruses was total rubbish "the guy has no idea what he is writing about" and all that.

After we left the shop my friend told me: By the way, do you know who was sitting behind you? Bernhard Trink...

If I ran into Stick I would gladly tell him to his face what an idiot he was is trying to claim all Pattaya bargirls have HIV.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

A long time ago I was with a friend in the little fish and chips shop in Soi 23. We talked about the latest article from Trink and I explained to my friend what Trink wrote about computer viruses was total rubbish "the guy has no idea what he is writing about" and all that.

After we left the shop my friend told me: By the way, do you know who was sitting behind you? Bernhard Trink...

He was a NY'er - he can take it... he was probably flattered that you were talking about him...

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

He also used to like a small place called Catz. I went there on his recommendation, and while there bought a girl a tequila. She returned with a glass that had bubbles in it, and it turned out to be Sprite. The girl was too stupid to use water to trick me. But the mamasan sorted it out.

Oh no BB.. Did you really do that/say that?

Forcing anyone to drink alcohol against their wishes is so uncool..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Think you'll find Stickman is no longer a person but a brand. Must be a number of interested parties on the ground here trying to sell their products as things reopen.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bobbin said:
23 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

He also used to like a small place called Catz. I went there on his recommendation, and while there bought a girl a tequila. She returned with a glass that had bubbles in it, and it turned out to be Sprite. The girl was too stupid to use water to trick me. But the mamasan sorted it out.

Oh no BB.. Did you really do that/say that?

Forcing anyone to drink alcohol against their wishes is so uncool..

What is uncool is her asking for a tequila and returning with a tiny glass of Sprite, for which I was expected to pay 150 baht or more. I also didn't write that I forced her to have alcohol. The mamasan took it off my bill and I left.

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Like 2

On 2/3/2022 at 3:57 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks for your honest answer.

Many years ago when Stickman was in Thailand and when he enjoyed the nightlife he had useful information.

And then, after he left Thailand, his information was often inaccurate. Some people even say he made paid promotions of boring places.

The fact that he is not on the ground means he won't really know what is going on. Anybody of us who goes to Nana or Cowboy and talks to people will be able to get a better picture of what is going on.

Maybe Stickman is good enough for tourists from far away...

He's always been a grand charlatan. 

Hasn't changed at all.

On 2/3/2022 at 8:31 PM, Isaanlife said:

Stickman hasn't lived in Thailand for a few years.

He lives in New Zealand.

So why try to write a column about Thailand that has changed 1000% since that time when he has no first hand knowledge?

It is all a money grab for him.

Don't need to be rehashing his make belief stories from years ago because he needs money.

He has no clue what Thailand is like since Covid and therefore anything he writes will be made up.

If you want to write about Thailand, at least live here and give readers an accurate story of whatever.

A person living in Thailand would have to be pretty bored and restless to resort to this.

Another one is Paddy Doyle, the Brit Youtuber that rides his 110CC Honda Dream around Thailand. Obnoxious character and obviously another money grabber to try to live in Thailand will no real skill or job. His viewership dropped and he posted a teary eyed video how sad and depressed he was because he might have to go home. My god man! If you cannot afford it, stay home!

You can only see so many videos of the same things before it really gets on a person's nerves.

I would rather see more stories like Owl See's All, Folks Building their own houses, or other things that concern real life and substance.

Other obnoxious YouTubers.

DanTheMan.

KeisOne - who is 38 and dresses like a 12 year old. Goes on about sex tourists and he's the biggest example! 

RAZZ

On 2/4/2022 at 9:27 PM, LaosLover said:

Will def look in on Sunday, but Stickman has been coasting and treading water for a long time, topic-wise.

Thailand's open pay for play scene in its many flavors has been written about to death for decades. And a lot of its more agog aspects, like soapies, seems to be on the steep fade for good. I remember when it was shocking to hear One Night In Bangkok on the radio.

I miss the flamboyant mongers of the 90's with their Indian-tailored shirts and barstool Buddha philosphizing, but all day English breakfasts in Pattaya and Jaeger-shots seem to have killed off a ton of them.

It's them -or what's left of them- that I'll be looking for in the must-click Reader's Submission section, not Stick's equivocating and tiptoeing around offending bar owners and what he calls The Punters.

If you have to be polite to keep the ad revenue flowing when talking about whoring around, then where exactly are the laughs supposed to come from?

Agreed and those that lived through it know its a dinosaur that won't return. Anyone that's come here in the last year 10 years is chasing something that hasn't existed for a veeeeeeery long time. It will be im sure a decent experience for them but anyone that was here from the mid 90s or earlier knows the truth.

For mine Pattaya was gone by '07 it had just become a cash cow. The gogo model basically destroyed the bars with the coyotes and dancers and superstars and all the other tiers they tried to create. 

On 2/3/2022 at 3:52 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Incorrect. But I won't disclose details here because we don't want to bring trouble to those places.

my last sentence indicated that i knew of one go go open inside doing 'shows' but i didn't want to disclose it.  i now know of two but the second one is more like a sit inside with a woman.  not doing much on stage.

• Like 1