As a farang, what is your Prime Directive here in Thailand? And, after bandying the word about, do you know the derivation of the term, farang? And, do you feel happy to be called "farang" by all who know you here?

GammaGlobulin

15 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

99% of Thais pronounce it as 'falang', so why don't you? 

Actually, they DO NOT pronounce it falang.

In fact, this is a TRILLED R sound which is neither an R sound in English nor an L sound in English.

Anyway, all guys who have studied linguistics know about these sounds, which are different from any sound in the English language.

As any fool might know, and I am DEFINITELY one of those fools, too, learning trills is not easy.  Also, there are many sounds in Chinese which are not common in the English language.

Speaking of fools, I love the Doobie Brothers, too.

What A Fool Believes....

4 hours ago, Paulaew said:

My Prime Directive is not to interfere with the natural development of the alien civilization here.

We have to wait until they are ready for democracy, science and rational morality.

Paul Laew

Depends who you are looking at as the alien civilisation. 

I have no objection to the word farang as long as it is pronounced properly ie falang.. Too often it is pronounced ferrang, generally by the know nothings who speak of Patt-AYa or Patt-EYEa. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, farangnomore said:

My impression is that Thais have a hard time distinguishing sounds "R" and "L".  Farang is only one word where many Thais pronounce "L" instead of "R", but there are tons of other words with similar mis-pronunciation.  I've seen even words spelled incorrectly in Thai. 

I went to Thailand for the food, great weather and people.  Once I figure out the culture, I left it, mostly because of the people (tiny minority, but rather poisonous, unfortunately). 

it's not a mispronounciarion mate it's the local custom. Thais do know how to both pronounce "R" and distinguish it from "L". 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rott said:

Depends who you are looking at as the alien civilisation. 

I have no objection to the word farang as long as it is pronounced properly ie falang.. Too often it is pronounced ferrang, generally by the know nothings who speak of Patt-AYa or Patt-EYEa. 

nope, farang is the correct pronunciation. falang is the local vernacular

Came here after a complete brake down physical and mentally, and learned to love life again. Step by step, start walking longer distances, swimming, climbing, kayaking, diving and feel life had kind of meaning again. Came back home healthy and with a mindset that I would return and live here. Spent about 10 years working for that goal, and are here now in my 5. Year! 

Falang or farang, I could not care less! But when a English or a Aussie call me a <deleted>, I tell them to delete off, and go and delete themselves

1 minute ago, Lemsta69 said:

Sez you. Falang is how it was being pronounced by Thai and farang when I was first here and that is the way I have pronounced it ever since. I will allow there can be regional differences and also social class differences. 

But ferrang just developed from the know nothings. 

my prime directive is to have fun and leave big tips. somebody has to make up for all the cheap charlies ????

yes I know about the derivation of the term 'farang' and no I DNGAF if anyone calls me by that name. it's when they start calling me Khun that I start getting upset ????

1 minute ago, rott said:

Sez you. Falang is how it was being pronounced by Thai and farang when I was first here and that is the way I have pronounced it ever since. I will allow there can be regional differences and also social class differences. 

But ferrang just developed from the know nothings. 

not even close mate

2 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Came here after a complete brake down physical and mentally, and learned to love life again. Step by step, start walking longer distances, swimming, climbing, kayaking, diving and feel life had kind of meaning again. Came back home healthy and with a mindset that I would return and live here. Spent about 10 years working for that goal, and are here now in my 5. Year! 

Falang or farang, I could not care less! But when a English or a Aussie call me a <deleted>, I tell them to delete off, and go and delete themselves

Came here in a wheelchair.

Now walking.

Coming to Thailand has been far better than drinking the water in the Grotto at Lourdes, at least for me.

I agree with you!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

my prime directive is to have fun and leave big tips. somebody has to make up for all the cheap charlies ????

yes I know about the derivation of the term 'farang' and no I DNGAF if anyone calls me by that name. it's when they start calling me Khun that I start getting upset ????

Why would Khun upset ? Its a courtesy/honorific title, the same as Mr/Mrs. Used to address someone of inferred higher social status etc

Edited by Peterw42
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lemsta69 said:

My experience is that educated Thais pronounce it more often the 'correct way', while the ones less educated or from 'upcountry' don't, either on purpose, or because they don't know better. Also, and that might be subjective, I feel that Thais who pronounce it 'correctly' when talking about me or foreigners in general, use the word in a "neutral" context, while using the word as a slur, it seems rarely be pronounced with an 'r' sound.

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, sungod said:

More of a breast man myself

Please explain what a man who enjoys breasts got to do with being called a farang ? 

I could of just pressed confused , but i attempt to get abreast of what you mean.

19 minutes ago, itsari said:

Please explain what a man who enjoys breasts got to do with being called a farang ? 

I could of just pressed confused , but i attempt to get abreast of what you mean.

I wont bother, the post was obviously lost on you.

3 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Why would Khun upset ? Its a courtesy/honorific title, the same as Mr/Mrs. Used to address someone of inferred higher social status etc

It is pronounced "COON".  If you are African-American, you may have a problem with that. ????

8 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Prime directive, dont interfere ! Let Thais deal with Thai things whenever possible.

Farang:  depends whose saying it and the tone used.

If a family member, my wife etc used it referring to me I woukd be upset. I also dont like wives of others referring to their spouse in such a manner, I think its disrespectful in that context. Other than that I dont care.

Why am I here: I came on holiday, met the wife, the country seemed alot better in many ways than where I cam from so we settled here. Slowly as time progressed the ties to the old country were severed and being honest in that time the homeland evolved beyond all recognition and is not somewhere I would choose to be.

I agree with all of this.

With my friends and my wife's friends, I am Chris, an Englishman. No need for the "far(l)ang bit as it only begs the next question, "where is he from"?

I think the word farang is most politely used when it refers only to white foreigners wherever they are from, and in a general sense and talking in the collective context. Otherwise, known individual people are denied their personal identity.

It is useful for the delivery boys looking for our house - just say "bahn farang" and immediately, they know!

• Like 2

prime directive is to enjoy being here with my wife, dogs & trees doing what I want to without interfering in other peoples business, farang doesnt bother me unless it is said nastily then I smile and tell them to go fluck themselves while I flip the bird at them 

Edited by seajae

My Thailand-specific prime directive/mantra:

- Don't die on the roads

- Don't do anything stupid

- Relax, explore, learn, grow experience

- Be healthy 

I don't mind being called farang, it's how native Thai people see us until they know us better (and perhaps - - or even often - - afterward).   It is what it is. 

Edited by ChrisP24