What is (or was) your profession or occupation?

Paulaew

5 hours ago, Expat68 said:

I worked in the printing business for 34 years. Started as a hot metal compositor (placing single metal characters in what was known as a stick) you will see these in museums now, not many of us left now I think????Then moved on to was called a paste up artist, (producing magazines and books) this was placing film on another slightly thicker piece of film (the end product was a positive or negative piece of film) My next step was Desk Top Publishing (mostly magazines) the ladies on this site may have heard of them, Living, She, Options, Women's Realm etc. Planner/Platemaker was my final step (similar to Paste up Artist) producing 32/64 pages in Black, Cyan, Magenta and Yellow of thin aluminium which wraps around the rollers of the Printing Press

Sounds just like my career, except 45 years in the printing business, still have my old line gauge, pica stick in my desk here which I use for smashing bugs, spent my last fifteen years making flexographic printing plates retired in 2013

• Like 2

OK high school education, 4 yrs USAF, worked on AC130's WCS..Electrical weeny. 43 yrs Oilfield, NOV 20 and consultant/employee Transocean, retired as Director Mechanical Technical Expert 2014. 

Expertise convențional drilling gear, marine gear and cranes.  Bearing failures...Now wifes gardener Sattahip since 2019. Wrote many documents on inspection and repair, my sheave groove doc was #1 if you googled sheave groove inspection. Been sent to federal court over Global Marine vs Amclyde double drum anchor winch failures... I wrote an email when accessing the first failures and after 5 million dollar engineering FEA study I was proven 100% correct in my observations... Lawyers interviewed me for 20 minutes and let me go...The PhD behind me spent 5 days with them...He was a good dude and is still a friend.. My forte is taking $hit apart without destroying it.. At my apex I was 2500 a day plus expenses...homey don't fly economy either... Big chuckle if you calling me you in deep doo doo...I would love to teach for free what I learned from the school of extremely hard knocks.. In my world nothing was on paper.. Sad because there are few mentors today that have a clue what they are talking about...Or to put it another way, I rattled big iron..

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:
19 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:
3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Cut back quite a bit after marrying someone who worked in a Bangkok department store two weeks after we met and 31 years ago this month.

Brilliant!  ???? 

We even met on her birthday! ????

I'm an old romantic and that story just made my day!  ????

30 minutes ago, simon43 said:

LoL - here is  the microwave antenna of the Envisat scientific satellite that I helped to design and build.  Guess which one of these ice-cream salesmen is me?  (Clue - I'm the handsome one...!).

alcatel1.jpg.64d10420f6f489c77c6060fabae13bc6.jpg

Wow, very impressive. 

Looks like one of Iran's nuclear facilities. ????

Screenshot_2022-02-08-16-43-04-56_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

6 hours ago, Harveyboy said:

varied life .. worked as an international tour guide ..then onto working on movies .. Hollywood..spent a lot of time in LA ..did script writing with some of the biggest names in the industry worked with many top A list actors... producer's director's..did location scouting in Europe..had a lot of fun lived the dream now im a House husband here in a small village in the north of Thailand cash gone but im happy as a pig in Shooot

why the ha ha funny face .. don't you believe this upstanding gentleman when he tells you ..Guide to the Stars...lets just say this !! Mission was not Impossibe !!!

Master Mariner Class 1 (unlimited - as Master 20 years ) ,  Marine Surveyor , Pilot.  Petrochemical / LPG / LNG inspection and quantification surveyor , Yacht Surveyor ,  Yacht Delivery skipper .  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Helicopter logging and firefighting pilot with short stints flying offshore oil support, moving seismic drills and construction.  45 years of saving my life, sometimes several times in a day.  If a young friend or relative expresses the desire to become a helicopter pilot quietly drown them to save them from their disillusionment, the failed marriages and financial disaster.  However, despite my best (or worst) efforts I find myself retired with a higher net income and benefits than I ever earned as a working pilot.  ?.  Beats me.  

• Like 2

On 2/7/2022 at 10:46 AM, simon43 said:

Rocket Scientist (well, parts of it anyway). I designed various ground and space hardware for military, commercial and scientific space projects.  Then when I moved to live in south-east Asia, there were no jobs for rocket scientists, so I built small hotels for a while, then became a science teacher in Laos and Myanmar.

Nowadays (well this week at least), you'll find me living on the island of Mauritius, where I still work as a science teacher, but online.  My spare times are filled with various science projects involving satellites and radio transmitters, which often seem to create hostility and suspicion from the police/military etc in whatever country I'm living in at the time ????

That makes two of us. 

I designed stuff now flying on ISS. 

I am one of the founders of a company flying satellites that act as cell towers in space for standard cell phones. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, yankyoakum said:

Big chuckle if you calling me you in deep doo doo...

555 - that brought back memories !

I shared a house in Ft Nelson BC with a guy who fished stuff that fell into drill holes. We were on Scotch bottle #2 early one morning when he got a call that some Yoyo kicked a crescent wrench down the hole in a drilling rig offshore from Newfoundland.

Charter plane preparing for a flight to Ft. St. John, Lear standing by for flight to St. Johns, chopper for flight to the rig.

He got it out too !

• Like 1

On 2/7/2022 at 10:22 PM, JAS21 said:

I know how to operate a modern Power Station … guess not much call for that on this forum though…

As we speak. Not a modern power station anymore, but a steam boiler and plant.

IMG20220209112539.jpg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Dazinoz said:

I did an apprentice as an electrical fitter /mechanic. At the same time I completed my Cert IV in Electrical engineering. I worked in heavy industry where I did my apprenticeship for a total 6 years. 

I worked as the maintenance electrician in a 305 room hotel in a capital city in Oz for about a year.

I worked in a power station as an operator on the plant and in the control room running 2 x 500MW generators and then as training officer (2 years) for a total 10 years.

I then worked in an oil refinery from outside on the plant to control room then as head operator for a total 23 years.

I also did many and varied sideline activities such as TV servicing, locksmithing, massage and split air conditioning installation.

3 power station operators here. Who would have thought.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

^ Shoot the DCS guy or the instrument maintenance guy.

My monitors usually look like this.

I best not complain.

I run it in auto so I can watch YouTube on the other monitor.

If an alarm guess off I think about actually doing my job.

IMG20220209114731.jpg

Edited by sipi
  • Haha 1