Warning. Covid19 Thai Insurance.

14 minutes ago, dj230 said:

Manulife covered me for quarantine due to covid-19, medical treatment, quarantine in a medical facility or hotel/food/travel delays (plane ticket) etc. , when I planned my trip I wasn't going to rely on a Thailand company to insure me if things went south. I paid more, but I was completely covered. 

You did actually have to quarantine in a hotel and they paid for it? I just had a look at their terms and condition, and they only write that they pay for hospital costs.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, FriendlyFarang said:

You did actually have to quarantine in a hotel and they paid for it? I just had a look at their terms and condition, and they only write that they pay for hospital costs.

https://www.coverme.com/content/dam/affinity/coverme/english/documents/coverme-covid-19-pandemic-travel-plan-policy.pdf

page 8, I called and specifically asked if I would be covered, they said yes. 

Now re-reading it, it actually mentions quarantine due to positive covid test OR contact tracing, so I am guessing if you were in close contact with someone who tested and had to isolate, you'd be reimbursed as well.

Edited by dj230
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On the Thai Pass site, and during the application process, they are actively pushing policies through this broker with 3 companies that supposedly cover symptomatic, asymptomatic and close contact quarantine (which is a new requirement). Although when you click through, it doesn't actually mention close contact, unless that comes under hospital isolation, and there isn't enough information on the site about any of the policies to be able to say what they actually cover. 
https://tqm-app.com/static/thailandpass/index.html 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

On the Thai Pass site, and during the application process, they are actively pushing policies through this broker with 3 companies that supposedly cover symptomatic, asymptomatic and close contact quarantine (which is a new requirement). Although when you click through, it doesn't actually mention close contact, unless that comes under hospital isolation, and there isn't enough information on the site about any of the policies to be able to say what they actually cover. 
https://tqm-app.com/static/thailandpass/index.html 

I don't get it tho, one would get the insurance for a period of 30 days, arrive here with 30 days on arrival but then decide to extend or change to a long term visa without issues or that insurance. It clearly is a scam all together. In that case not that expensive with 2K ish baht.

Same time, if one did have intentions to insure long term, they exclude people who already are in Thailand now, like for what reason, a new person has less risk than an existing person??? But if I go to Netherlands, stay there 30 days, and then return on me re-entry, I can get the insurance.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, ThaiVisaCentre said:

This is not 100% true.

They will cover on all policies purchased before Feb 15th ????

not so.

policy for 3mln.

"From: Narisara Narintaranggoon <[email protected].>
Date: Thu, Feb 10, 2022 at 
Subject: Fwd: IPD Result; MR. xxx ; Policy: xxx-I-PRP-21-11-xxx
To: AKARABROKER NON-MOTOR <nonmotor@akarabrokerinsurance.>
Insured: MR. xxx

Policy: xxx-I-PRP-21-11-xxx

Broker/Agent: AKARA BROKER COMPANY LIMITED

Dear All ,

Please  inform the Insured that his IPD treatment for COVID Infection at xxx hospital is not subject to cover under his policy. For details, see the letter attached.

If further clarifications are required, please email [email protected] or call Customer Service at 02-401-9188 or 02-401-9189.

Best Regards,

Narisara Narintaranggoon Na Ayuttaya ( กระติก )

Sales Coordinator"

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Who will categorically cover the above scenario? List them here please. Not a dig. Would genuinely like to know. 

Agree with others, it is all on the government. They do not know what they are doing, but should pick up the bill if they want to lock tourists away unnecessarily AND expect them to pay for the privilege. Their actions are harming the standing of the country (yes, I know) and are one of a banana republic. 

I'm not sure if this counts from AXA Thailand.

Covid-19 > Is medical expense for COVID-19 treatment in “Field Hospital” and “Hospitel” covered?
Yes. Medical expenses incurred in facilities designated as “Field Hospital” and “Hospitel” by the Ministry of Public Health for treating COVID-19 patient is covered.

Covid-19 > If I am tested positive for COVID-19 but I don’t have any symptom. Will AXA pay for the medical expense?
AXA will cover for outpatient and inpatient medical expense incurred based on medical necessity and following the guideline published by Ministry of Public Health.

For hospitalization, AXA uses a combination of factors including symptoms, age and underlying medical conditions to determine if the hospitalization is medically necessary. Only medically necessary inpatient expenses will be covered by AXA.

It's still a bit vague but it seems they might. I haven't looked at the "guidelines published by the Ministry of Public Health"

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, kimamey said:

based on medical necessity and following the guideline published by Ministry of Public Health.

Only medically necessary inpatient expenses will be covered by AXA.

If someone is asymptomatic, no treatment is medically necessary so that would suggest they won't cover it, or it would at least put them in a strong position to argue over it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ThaiVisaCentre said:

It would appear to differ from insurer to insurer

image.thumb.png.749c6d7bc69fc572b399feef59497e50.png

That is a very clear statement by Luma, and their position seems perfectly reasonable. If you are Covid-19 positive, but asymptomatic or with mild symptoms, this will likely impact your life for some days, but should not affect where you will stay, or greatly increase your costs. The only exception is that you may not be able to travel as you intended. Hopefully, travel insurance would deal with enforced postponement of travel.

13 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

this pandemic, now an endemic,

This ain't no endemic and never will be. They need to get their definitions correct! An endemic is a localised outbreak, which this most certainly is not!

adjective

1. 1.
    (of a disease or condition) regularly found among particular people or in a certain area.

2. 2.
    (of a plant or animal) native and restricted to a certain place.

3 minutes ago, bluemoon58 said:

This ain't no endemic and never will be. They need to get their definitions correct! An endemic is a localised outbreak, which this most certainly is not!

adjective

1. 1.
    (of a disease or condition) regularly found among particular people or in a certain area.

2. 2.
    (of a plant or animal) native and restricted to a certain place.

That is your take on it.

An epidemic involves the wide-ranging spread of a disease throughout an entire area or particular community where it’s not permanently prevalent. A pandemic involves an even wider spread, often reaching across the entire world. The word endemic is used to describe a disease that persistently and regularly spreads within a particular area or region (that is, it never fully goes away)—for example, the flu is considered endemic in many places. The COVID-19 virus is not yet considered endemic, but medical experts expect that it eventually will become endemic.

• Like 2

It’s pretty obvious.  The Thai govt does not trust people, Thai and foreign, to self quarantine if covid positive but asymptomatic.  So they force all covid positive people to be isolated to keep it from spreading.  They are correct to assume a big chunk of people will not follow the honor system and stay home for 14 days if covid positive.  And so we are all stuck with this current policy.

Edited by koele2
  • Like 2

I've heard reports that there are no 'hospitels' yet due to unclear requirements. Are there actual hotels that qualify for quarantine? Should I get a policy for 7 days for just the 5 day testing window, or for 15 days to include any quarantine time?

AXA website facing page:

"Caught Covid but do not show symptoms? Don't worry! Yes, AXA will cover for the medical expense incurred based on medical necessity. "

AXA faq's;

Covid-19 > If I’m tested positive for COVID-19 and have to be quarantined in the hotel. Will AXA pay for this hotel cost?

"No, AXA will not cover for hotel accommodation cost. AXA will however cover for other medical costs such as physician fees and medicine"

Edited by ding
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1