Lending Money to Thai Ladies

Danderman123

I got hit up by a Thai lady this morning on Messenger for a loan, which I ignored. 

In the afternoon, she posted on Facebook that she was making Triple Overtime at work, ie she was making the big bucks. 

In my experience, some of the loan requests come from their boyfriend complaining about lack of money. Maybe he wants a new motorcycle or just money for drinking. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

In my experience, some of the loan requests come from their boyfriend complaining about lack of money. Maybe he wants a new motorcycle or just money for drinking. 

In my case it's a new guitar....thanks fellow board members !

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

I never lend. I sometimes give without any delusions of payback. I also frequently utilize their Temp Services to help relieve their financial woes. I'm all for supporting the local economy! :coffee1:

Shakespeare wrote it best

Neither a borrower nor a lender be

Polonius:
Neither a borrower nor a lender be,
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, inThailand said:

And lending to expats here is any better? 

I have actually lent some money to a fellow Aussie expat as his transfer from Oz was delayed. Took a little while but I did get it all back after asking him. I did find out later that he had borrowed from a lot from others others and never paid back so I was lucky. He moved to Hua Hin and opened a bar so some of his lenders were hoping. He died so no paybacks.

• Like 1

Whats my motive for lending in the first place is where I start.

If I can't afford to never see money I give/lend to another ever again, don't give it in the first place ... This is one of the axioms I live by.

Edited by Tropposurfer
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

During the following divorce proceedings, she had the nerve to tell me she knew the law and was entitled to 50%.  I knew the law a little better than the fool who told her that - she got 0%. Well actually she actually lost money - I presume she had to pay the fool (lawyer) that gave her the incorrect advice ????.

How did you avoid splitting everything?

20 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

If you go into them they list the donations, its surprising the number of very small amounts that come in from Thai's.

There's been a few stories of Thais being shocked by begpackers begging and helping them out because they assume to be begging means they are in big trouble, rather than just lazy.  I'm pretty sure that guy with the big leg got a ton of cash, mostly from Thais, which he promptly wasted.

But one group of Thais being helpful and generous doesn't prevent another group from ripping you off.

• Like 1