My Thai step-daughter has been given the ultimatum 40% wage cut or unemployment.

BritManToo

I well understand your annoyance but sometimes you have to eat humble pie . 

I think your daughter is better to accept the terms and move on when there is a new position available to her .

Its not fair , but what is . 

Not forgetting that a 40 percent decrease results in less income tax to pay . Net result maybe ok

Edited by itsari
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

As others have said check if it's legal. Then she could have meetings with the other staff, as if they all refuse the pay cut, what is the company going to do. If the reality is the company is going bad then she just needs to look for a new job. It seems the Thai economy is not going that badly so hopefully she can find another job. She could keep that job in the meantime and if there's no other jobs then she might have to cop it. 

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I've told her to leave and move back home, I'll feed her.

What do you all think?

Depends on what's for dinner...

And yet, it costs me 500 baht a day for a decent gardener and maid... my wife's best friend is working as a maid in Bkk [several different customers] - - she totals out at 30k a month... 

But to answer your question, I would let my kid decide... she is only 16 now but I I am sure that she knows that moving back home will always be an option... 

• Like 1

Take the pay cut, and immediately start looking for better jobs with better pay. Although this may be a general approach by most businesses with the upcoming minimum wage proposal, take with one hand and give back with the other.

Psychologically, IMO it's much better for her to continue employment, rather than going back to dependence on relatives.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Because what the company is doing is not legal. 

Brit’s initial suggestion was obviously not the best which is why he turned to this forum for further advice.

Now he knows that his daughter should go to the ministry of Labor and they should be able to help in her situation. The labor laws in Thailand are very supportive of employees, in such circumstances this is ‘almost’ a slam dunk.

Of course, going ‘head to head’ with the company may see the girl laid off, however, our maid gets 700 per day.  She works for other people too. If she’s working 6 days per week, she’s pulling in 16,800 baht per month.

This places into perspective the type of stunt this company is pulling on BritMan’s daughter, its wrong and she should stand up. 

Fine but do what I stated  while looking into the legality of what her company is doing.  If it is illegal and likely to win in court or a claim at the employment office, then go down that route.  Have my doubts this will work in the end but have at it if she thinks it is the best option.   

Still think quitting and going back home is terrible advice.  If the other employers will pay more than 11k for her skills then great if not she has to accept reality.  Reality can suck!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, atpeace said:

That is terrible and what an awful place for her to be but your advice is equally terrible.

Tell her to take the pay cut and look for something else immediately.  Life isn't fair and if if no other opportunities arise then she is lucky to be at least earning 11k.  Returning home defeated and being fed by Dad won't help her other than help her become more dependent on others. Doubt this is what you or she desires.  If she finds her way out of this predicament she will be a better person for it in the future.  Why not help her with rent or anything else if she runs out of cash while she is working and looking?

Sound advice....

19 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Take the pay cut, and immediately start looking for better jobs with better pay. Although this may be a general approach by most businesses with the upcoming minimum wage proposal, take with one hand and give back with the other.

Psychologically, IMO it's much better for her to continue employment, rather than going back to dependence on relatives.

No.. she should not quit. IF the company fires her, the owe her 108,000 baht severance (6 years of work, x 1 month for each year worked). 

The company obviously want her to quit so they can avoid paying severance, or take the pay cut so they can save money. None of this is the employee’s problem, they are on an incredibly low wage already. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

No.. she should not quit. IF the company fires her, the owe her 108,000 baht severance (6 years of work, x 1 month for each year worked). 

The company obviously want her to quit so they can avoid paying severance, or take the pay cut so they can save money. None of this is the employee’s problem, they are on an incredibly low wage already. 

The op hasn't said she has completed 12 months work if she has her severance will be 18K not 108K

• Like 1

This happened at a company I worked at in '97 crisis. Staff agreed to a pay cut on the condition that if they were subsequently laid off their severance would be at the pre cut rate and I think also that they would be paid the difference between pre and post cut for the time period between start of cut and when laid off.

Colleague was asked to take an additional pay cut later on and refused so they said sorry, we have to terminate you then. This company was very straight, so I would guess it is legal.

If l;aid off, don't let them make you leave early by taking holiday owed. Demand to work those days and get the cash instead, that's what people demanded at my place.

In fairness to the company I worked for, they kept me on for a year longer than when my job kinda became irrelevant and laid me off when they laid off all the other people who weren't related to anybody.

Edited by mokwit

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

6 years higher education for nothing

Never a waste.  As they say "they can't take your education away from you".  There will be more opportunities that will require her qualifications in the future.

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I've told her to leave and move back home, I'll feed her.

What do you all think?

Is there any need to rush?  Can she wait and look for something else?  It's often easier to find work while still employed but maybe not in a different city.  Any connections through her current work that can help?

What are her prospect in BKK?  More likely to get work there?

As others have said, probably better for her not to move home if it can be avoided, although you clearly care for her and maybe want to stick it to her company, keeping her independent and standing on her own two feet might be better for her personal development.

Good luck with it.  Horrible situations for young people all over Thailand.