If war breaks out in Ukraine, what do you think will be the impact on your expat life in Thailand?

Jingthing

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

It's just a waiting game as I see it,  from what I hear news wise is price rises on many things, oil for one I  guess.  

I don't think anyone can predict what will happen until it happens.

In my home country, they are already paying record prices for Fuel! And no end in sight!

• Like 1

Oil prices

Flight routes changed again and 

All we have to do, is just wait for better times. If a war brakes out between Russia and Ukraine, most likely China will tighten the grip on South Asia Pacific, and also Taiwan. Then Thailand have to choose side!

Don't expect a single Russian attack and occupation of Ukraine to install a Russian friendly government to pose a great risk for Europe, unless Nato respond (do the stupid move) with all power necessary. 

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1

Just now, Virt said:

A lot of the air traffic from Europe to Thailand use that route.

Yeah. Remember this one??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaysia_Airlines_Flight_17

Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 (MH17/MAS17)[a] was a scheduled passenger flight from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur that was shot down on 17 July 2014 while flying over eastern Ukraine. All 283 passengers and 15 crew were killed.[3] Contact with the aircraft, a Boeing 777-200ER, was lost when it was about 50 km (31 mi) from the Ukraine–Russia border, and wreckage of the aircraft fell near Hrabove in Donetsk Oblast, Ukraine, 40 km (25 mi) from the border.[4] The shoot-down occurred in the War in Donbas in an area controlled by pro-Russian rebels.[5]

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Just now, Jingthing said:

As another said. Investment hits. Stock market hits. That kind of thing that helps fund a lot of many expats lives here.

But that creates opportunities as well.

I don't get a lot of Interest on my money in my Home Country and I even have to pay the Bank if I have more then a certain amount of money in the bank. So if the stocks are crashing, it's good time to buy ????

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MJCM said:

But that creates opportunities as well.

I don't get a lot of Interest on my money in my Home Country and I even have to pay the Bank if I have more then a certain amount of money in the bank. So if the stocks are crashing, it's good time to buy ????

In theory a good time to buy, but myself I wouldn't know what to do or what to buy. My money is invested in an IRA, mutual funds, S&P and NYSE, but I don't have a great knowledge except I've made money.

• Like 2

Personally , I don't think there will be a war. Not a war of occupation anyway. The Russians had a bad experience in Afghanistan so I don't think they will go to war. Just sending a message that it will not tolerate the Ukraine joining NATO or moving much closer to the west. 

Therefore , here in the boonies I can't see myself getting conscripted into a new dads army any time soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

As another said. Investment hits. Stock market hits. That kind of thing that helps fund a lot of many expats lives here.

The stock market hits were priced in last week. 

It is equally likely to create a...  'there was an invasion and the stock market went up????' reaction from many...