Thais praised for finding Russian tourist's necklace: "That's why our tourism is so magical," says top cop

webfact

6 hours ago, Jerno said:

And the taxi mafia continues unabated.  Police are gushing over civilians doing some good.  How about getting your guys to do their job and shut down the mafia.

354 baht from Phuket Town to Patong right now, on Grab. It's 15 kilometers. About $11. The same taxi ride in Seattle would be $25-$30 (USD), I think.

I'm guessing the prices would be different if you flag a taxi down on the street in Patong. But if you know about the apps, the prices have gotten considerably better.

They must have scouts looking for any shred of a story that will paint Thailand in a positive light for Tourist.
Perhaps treating every Tourist with respect and not devising at every opportunity a Way to fleece them for everything would help?
Also having more Tourist friendly Law would help

Edited by dutchweller
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

I wonder want tourism he is referring to. The goons have killed the Golden Goose. Wonder why they are not posting arrival numbers? There are very few. Maybe 1,000 a day? 

And they are not even genuine tourists either, more like expats and retirees who must get back to their families and loved ones, no matter the associated risks and the costs.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BKKTRAVELER said:

I have to say, about 10 years ago, I left a coffee shop in Bangkok and dropped my money (about 2,500 baht) on the floor as I didn't bring my wallet that day (stupid of me). The waitress ran after me in the street to bring it all back. That really surprised me because she could have easily kept it, it was a local place with no CCTV. There are some kind hearted people. I've seen a lot more of them here in Thailand than in my home country.

Yes but maybe not so many in Phuket...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mikebell said:

A story about four honest Thais on Phuket was always going to make headlines.  Interesting how RTP jumped on this band-wagon.

Phuket is not representative of Thailand, which has more honest people than the UK or other Western countries I've lived in.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

The trouble over overcharging taxi mafia in Phuket, the attack and robbery of a German footballer's wife in Phang Nga and the hitman murder of an Indian gangland figure in Rawai.

It seems that finding a necklace makes up for those mere bagatelles

bagatelles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Famous Humanity" and " Thai Tourism so magical".

Well, everything is fine and dandy then!

I`m waiting for tomorrow news.

Cheers!

Such is the significance of this story that I didn't even know a necklace had been lost!

One "good" doesn't mean everything else is! But from this person's (Tourism Police) perspective, Thai tourism is again, on the upward path to Thailand.

A Policeman's lot can be such a happy one!

And when the tourists come flooding back remind them not to sit on any rocks in the sea - they might be coral!

Edited by ChrisKC
typo
  • Haha 1

Never mind dumb slogans, infantile hubs and pie-in-the-sky tourism numbers, and inflated tourism ad campaigns and associated budgets: just one "bracelet found" story once a week will work wonders to get Thailand "top of mind" ...... No doubt, Thailand now world #1 destination for backpackers, millionnaires and retirees. All on the back of a worthless trinket. Job done. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Muzzique said:

Yep, that has sold me on coming to Thailand.

Getting murdered, raped, robbed, scammed or killed by a connected drunk driver are simply bagatelles compared to losing my necklace in the sea. 

When I'm looking for a Holiday, the first thing I search for is holiday where my junk jewelry can be recovered by heroic policemen risking their lives by paddling on the beach.

All those nasty crabs... . nip nip nip

Obviously, you - like also many others coming here - were very disappointed not to find here everything - and the people either - so perfect and honest as in other well known tourist places... 

• Confused 3
  • Sad 2

33 minutes ago, Saanim said:

Obviously, you - like also many others coming here - were very disappointed not to find here everything - and the people either - so perfect and honest as in other well known tourist places... 

Do you know what sarcasm is?

• Like 2

Breaking....

since the fabulous news emerged that an honest thai citizen returned a lost necklace, worth 57baht, bookings go through the roof.

Airlines are making hundred thousands of seats available to get all people asap to the land of "return the lost jewellery country".

• Haha 2