Pattaya Police Chief warns public about alcohol sales ban on Makha Bucha as they could face legal charges if violating rules

webfact

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Police Colonel Kulachart Kulchai revealed that due to the occasion of the important Buddhist day “Makha Bucha Day”, the police would like to notify all shop operators and the public to refrain from selling and drinking alcoholic beverages for the whole day of Wednesday, February 16th, from 00.00 AM. to 11:59 PM. TPN media notes this is a NATIONAL ban on religious holidays.

I didn't realise it was illegal to consume alcohol on this day?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, hotchilli said:

6 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Only illegal to buy or sell as far as I'm aware, I have 2 cases of beer & 2 bottles of red wine in the kitchen, not just for today of course ???? you can drink as much as you want at home or around a mates place ????

7 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

About the only "important" information about Macha Bucha day each year, is the constant reminding that alcohol sales are banned......most expats have no idea what Macha Bucha day is all about!

Or what an alcohol ban is all about...me included.

No this is so the Commander can get his picture taken and posted online for all to see how truly wonderful and how he is such a law abiding good representative of the law. 

Get your brown envelopes ready and all will be unseen!

Edited by paul1804

15 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

A simple question - if drinking alcohol on this particular day is to bow to Buddhist beliefs, then why is it allowed during most other days of the year? Is Thailand a Buddhist country only on some days of the year and not others? Or is it another example of religious hypocrisy.

Isn't that the same as Christian countries only being Christian on days like Christmas and Easter? Days which often have stricter limits on drinking.

6 hours ago, mrfill said:
22 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

A simple question - if drinking alcohol on this particular day is to bow to Buddhist beliefs, then why is it allowed during most other days of the year? Is Thailand a Buddhist country only on some days of the year and not others? Or is it another example of religious hypocrisy.

Isn't that the same as Christian countries only being Christian on days like Christmas and Easter? Days which often have stricter limits on drinking.

I am not aware of anywhere that bans alcohol consumption, especially at holiday times. Perhaps you can enlighten us. But on a wider level, yes I agree. Not only Christian religion but every religion that exists is filled with hypocrites, where inconvenient rules are ignored.

And with so many conflicting religious beliefs - one demands shaven heads, another that you grow your hair long, for example -  is all the proof you need that the world suffers from mass insanity. Religion is used by many as an emotional crutch, that's all, offering support that they feel they need. Nothing wrong with that, though, if it helps them.

On 2/17/2022 at 9:02 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

I am not aware of anywhere that bans alcohol consumption, especially at holiday times. Perhaps you can enlighten us

Perhaps some of the  less strict Muslim countries during Ramadan? I know the bars got closed in Abu Dhabi when I was there... but a hotel I used opened one in a suite at the end of a corridor. 

Edited by jacko45k