Hiring a Lawyer/Going to Court advices?

ESLTeacher1989

1 hour ago, MSMU1993 said:

Pay the bill, from a repair shop that you get an estimate for, and just move on. By the questions you ask you are in no position to walk into a Thai court, the lawyers will laugh, take your money, and you will lose.  No pool water caused car paint to be damaged overnight....

Realistically if I didn't hire myself a lawyer , how much would costs for court proceedings (estimate)?..............

Id rather lose 30k than 50k, I am not 100% sure it was me and no 2) I feel he is overcharging for work which can be done for alot less? The person may also not want to both with going to court etc and id just say lets settle for 30k cash

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Settle out of court to avoid paying police, lawyers fees, court fees.

Insist on a bodyshop estimate for the paint job, don't just pay what they ask. Repainting costs around 3,000 Baht / panel.

Forget representing yourself in court. Knowledge of court procedures and language problem (all court cases are heard in Thai language).

Forget doing a runner. You could get black listed by immigration and caught on return to Thailand.

Agree, prevent that the case to go to Court, it might both take long time and be more expensive than having quote from car painters and just pay for the damage.

34 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Demand three independent quotes for the repairs and say you will pay the middle one.......only sensible way out of it.

I like this idea

I will offer them two options

1) I pay them 30,000 baht upfront cash at the police station

2) I get three different quotes, and go with the owner to the garage and pay the garage the middle price quote myself

• Like 1

I like this idea

2) I get three different quotes from three different garages because I feel like I'm being way overcharged for minor damage, and go with the owner to the garage and pay the garage the middle price quote myself

If they don't accept either of these two offers, I will say ok up to you but lets go to court

Edited by ESLTeacher1989

1 hour ago, ESLTeacher1989 said:

Realistically if I didn't hire myself a lawyer , how much would costs for court proceedings (estimate)?..............

Id rather lose 30k than 50k, I am not 100% sure it was me and no 2) I feel he is overcharging for work which can be done for alot less? The person may also not want to both with going to court etc and id just say lets settle for 30k cash

How many more times, you can't go to a court case without a lawyer as you don't speak Thai to start with.

36 minutes ago, ESLTeacher1989 said:

I like this idea

2) I get three different quotes, and go with the owner to the garage and pay the garage the middle price quote myself

You don't get to decide.

55 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

You don't get to decide.

Ridcolous comment.....So I should just hand over whatever money the owner asks when .......Ok Ill hand over 100k just because you say so.............

1) I'm not 100% sure it was even my fault, and  even if it was my bottle of bleach. I don't know if the maid came into my room while I was out and tipped out the bottle without me knowing. How can a bottle of bleach leak when the balcony provides a buffer AND the whole bottle was empty when I found it .......if the bottle hit the ground and leaked..........some bleach should be left in the bottle

2) I'm also offering another option of getting from 2 other dealers, pick the middle price, so I can get a fair deal

Edited by ESLTeacher1989

Man if I owned the Honda CRV which is in the 1.6M thb range and a tenant through his carelessness caused my car too look like the pics, I'd want a first class paint job with all the molding replaced. I just had a truck's rear quarter panel body work, paint done and replace tail light, cost 14,000thb. The 50,000thb probably isn't too far off the mark.

• Like 2

First of all you need to admit that it is your fault and you caused the damage. full stop. if it was happened to you, im pretty sure you would ask more, and complain that thais are acting bad to farangs. 

secondly, again if it was you, you would take your car to the honda service and ask the repair price. in this case to be honest 50K is really not bad. 

thirdly if you go to court most likely you will lose the case. 

as it was mentioned accept it apologize and accept the 50K thats the best way and gentleman way. plus it is the right thing to do. I would indeed go to the police station so police will be my eye witness that i paid the money but here i would ask the car owner to show me the bill. would be a good idea. Most likely police will also try to solve the problem at the station. What you can do here is you can tell them you are not working or other things to drop the bill little bit, maybe 10K, find something good. If you act friendly to the car owner and the cops they will help you most likely. 

Also next time keep in mind that it could fall on some kid. you know this thing can make you blind

Edited by problemfarang
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, ESLTeacher1989 said:

I have a condo maid who comes into my room every week, How do i know she didn't jusst chuck the plastic bottle empty over the side...........I also took a video of a bottle spilling on my balcony and a ridge would stop any bleach from escaping the balcony, it seems unlikely to have the cars below

it is you.... not the maid.. you know it.. pay it. You would do the same thing as the car owners. 

6 hours ago, ESLTeacher1989 said:

Theres a chance it was actually from the swimming pool, swimming pool water contains bleach.

The Court is often in a position where there are no conclusive facts. If there were conclusive facts, the matter probably wouldn't be up for debate.

As such, the Court decides cases based on what it believes was the most likely thing to happen; the evidence that is produced and the merit of the arguments presented.

If you start talking about swimming pool water and bleach you will end up looking like a fool and things will not turn out well for you.

The product that stripped the paint from the vehicles is extremely corrosive as it damaged those vehicles in a matter of hours.

When was the last time you heard of anyone having the skin stripped from their body after spending a few hours in your condo pool, or indeed any swimming pool that you know of?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ESLTeacher1989 said:

If you wish to dispute the claim , be aware that a possibility of section 358 criminal code , causing damage to another persons property may apply.

1 hour ago, ESLTeacher1989 said:

1) I'm not 100% sure it was even my fault, and  even if it was my bottle of bleach. I don't know if the maid came into my room while I was out and tipped out the bottle without me knowing. How can a bottle of bleach leak when the balcony provides a buffer AND the whole bottle was empty when I found it .......if the bottle hit the ground and leaked..........some bleach should be left in the bottle

2) I'm also offering another option of getting from 2 other dealers, pick the middle price, so I can get a fair deal

Your first statement forgotten already? "

So I had a bottle of drain cleaner which I forgot to put the lid on my washing machine - on my balcony - I live on a top floor condo

Well the wind blew it over - overnight - and two cars below, are now covered in stains which cannot be removed......."

The owner doesn't have to accept whoever you are comfortable with to repair the car. You where negligent, you pay the damage and stop looking for silly excuses and blaming others.

If i was the owner the car would be in the repair shop until you paid and you would be paying for a replacement car too.

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Like 1

Just now, bluebluewater said:

OP  -  you were coming across as an upfront guy who had an unfortunate accident.  Not so much anymore.  Winny little <deleted> comes to mind now.  You have been given good advice several times here.  Good luck out there.

Whiny little <deleted> ? No not really ????

Why would do you think it's sensible to pay the highest price they come up with at the very first instance (they are going to be mad at me obviously (and so might try and get as much money out of me as possible just out of spite, go to the highest price places and ask honda to repair some things which may not even be damaged, who knows what they are thinking when their car has just been ruined).

Anyway we settled for 40,000 baht cash at the police station to end the matter. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Demand three independent quotes for the repairs and say you will pay the middle one.......only sensible way out of it.

ha ha, you really think that will work in Thailand?  The guy will get each shop to increase the quote!

• Thanks 1

Have you asked in a car paint shop if drain cleaner (show bottle) can cause this type of problem on car paint? And also if swimming pool chlorine can do the same if to much chlorine in the pool? I think that the swimming pool chlorine can do the same damages if not correct mixed with the pool water. To much chlorine. And your test show that your drain cleaner not likely can cause all that damage on the car roof.

Maybe you can do a new test? This time with drain cleaner. What is there to loose? If you are going to paint the cars anyway then you have nothing to loose.

I have used drain cleaner some and spilled on paint in the bathroom but never seen this damages in your pics.

At the other hand if it would be the pool then maybe there would be this type of problem on more cars? Maybe there are cameras showing the parking spot? That would show what really happen.

Insurance: You don´t have home insurance? I know not many people have that in Thailand (same as car insurance) but if have they should take this. Otherwise change insurance company.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, ESLTeacher1989 said:

Anyway we settled for 40,000 baht cash at the police station to end the matter. 

Just out of curiosity, did they sign some documents stating that the matter is now settled? If so, who prepared those documents?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Alldar said:

Just out of curiosity, did they sign some documents stating that the matter is now settled? If so, who prepared those documents?

Yes the police took photos and the Police prepared a document in Thai , which me + owner of the car + observing police officer had to sign. The police officer/Police station keeps a copy

• Like 1

So you settled on 40,000 baht.

You are in Thailand,  so behind the scene the police officer will get say 5,000 of that,  any quotes you get will have been padded say 5,000-10,000 from behind the scene .....   so you cannot ever win here   !!!

Anyway,  at the start you admitted guilt that it was your fault.

Then you changed and started blaming the maid.

You've paid up already,  now it's time to sack the maid if that's what you think.  

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

So you settled on 40,000 baht.

You are in Thailand,  so behind the scene the police officer will get say 5,000 of that,  any quotes you get will have been padded say 5,000-10,000 from behind the scene .....   so you cannot ever win here   !!!

Anyway,  at the start you admitted guilt that it was your fault.

Then you changed and started blaming the maid.

You've paid up already,  now it's time to sack the maid if that's what you think.  

If you're paying for a full respray and replace some moldings, I don't think there's much meat left on the bone. I think you're off the mark thinking the whole job only cost 25,000thb. 

2 hours ago, ESLTeacher1989 said:

Yes the police took photos and the Police prepared a document in Thai , which me + owner of the car + observing police officer had to sign. The police officer/Police station keeps a copy

You sure the 40K isn't just a down payment, ahahhaaa

• Like 1