New Elite Card allows holders to work in Thailand – for 32 million baht

webfact

3 hours ago, khunpa said:

What a “great” deal! 

Clear that they are aiming to the very stupid super rich. Sure there must be millions of those.

Very stupid super rich?? Except for maybe these who are born into money.

35 minutes ago, Dexxter said:

The last time I entered Thailand via Don Mueang just before covid appeared, I was pulled aside and got questioned for 30 minutes because I had "too many" 6 month METVs in my passport and the Immigration Officer said I should marry my Thai partner and next time use a "marriage" visa. So even "back-to-back" 6 month visas with gaps of 2-3 months in the home country between each visa are risky.

Happened to me with only one METV and one or two VE entries. That's why, when my current visa runs out later this year, I will show mercy and spend a year or so away from Thailand, travelling to other parts of the world, so not to cause these immigration officers too much distress. (And yes, the current entry requirements are also a reason why I won't be tempted to set foot on Thailand for a year.)

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, ukrules said:

It requires far less investment to just incorporate then employ yourself if you're so inclined.

But I guess if someone already bought a 30 million Baht condo and has an Elite visa already and for whatever reason wanted to take a job then the option's there.

I doubt many will bother with that route but you never know

Maybe there are tax implications. If somebody is in Thailand with an Elite visa, they may not be able to claim tax residency in Thailand. But if they work legally and stay in Thailand more than 6 months, they could claim tax residency, pay themselves a small monthly salary, and avoid or lower taxation in other jurisdictions.

32 million that pays 4 percent in dividend outcome - which is very possible on the Thai stock market, even after withholding tax - is little more than 1.2 million a year or 100,000 baht a month. It's not enough for luxury, but enough for an Okay life-style, so if you wish a hi-end life-style you need to also work. However, the question is if you really need to "invest" 32 million baht to get a work permit?

If you are in that income level from a job, so you have 30+ million baht in savings, you should easily be able to get a job - and work permit - in a major- or international company, without the need for investing 32 million baht; and that job might even include both accommodation, or extra for that, and free international school of your choice for eventual children.

If you are entrepreneur and start your own business, you only need to invest 2 million baht in a company limited - and as American, who are part of the target group, you can actually own that company 100 percent - to obtain a work permit, provided you can employ 4 Thais, or even less depending of your business and eventual BOI benefits.

Makes me wonder what the real benefits are for 32 million baht...????

• Like 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Under the Elite Card’s new Flexible Plus Program applicants will be able to obtain a work permit. [for only 1M USD] 

It's almost impossible to understand how their brains work.

Who, exactly, pays a million dollars, as an individual, to goto a developing country to work? 

Incredible people 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Lets see I get a 5 year work permit for my 32 million ...hmmmm.  So in order for it to work I need to make 6.4 million THB a year, or around 53k Thb a month....doable but then what about taxes.....and who is going to hire a 50 something foreigner?

no thanks i will stick to the 1900 baht a year retirement extension....

53,000 per month is only 636,000 per year.

You need to add a zero. You would need to make 530,000 per month to make back 6.36 Million baht in a year!!  Not so doable unless you are in a high paying CEO position perhaps. 

Many here (including the news redactors) look like they did not really understand it's an investment privilege.

More like a technicality.

One invest in real estate, in equities, in a business, etc., having already an Elite visa, will have less trouble if he/she needs a work permit, for whatever bureaucratic reason, period.

High level, but nothing unreal.

You guys seriously thought it was to look for a job ? ???? Ho wait some did not read the actual article ? ????

Who looks stupid here ? ????

Edited by Sambotte

3 hours ago, Oxx said:

Consider the blatant gerrymandering and the flagrant attempt to make it difficult for ethnic minorities to cast their electoral votes because white Americans are better than everyone else.

This is what you get, a broken society that cannot function like a democracy.

Let me guess, whites are already a tiny minority globally and now you want us to be a minority in our own country by allowing non-white permanent immigration? Has living in Thailand taught you nothing about what it means to be a minority without political power? If white America wasn't so stupid they would have shut this entire thing down already but that hasn't nearly happened despite what you're suggesting.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, koratkarlos said:

I find their proposed elite visa quite insulting.  Who do you think we are?  Are we really that stupid to spend 32 million THB to get a low paying job?  When will this government wake up to reality?  

They seem to be relying heavily on the "Thailand brand."  Some years ago, Thailand had that "pull" but Thailand is just not that popular anymore.    

• Like 1