Thailand to consider cutting second COVID-19 tests on international arrivals

snoop1130

I doubt the second test is of any use in preventing the rise of the Omicron variant in Thailand but the main problem for me is not the test, its having to check back in to a hotel again.  I just can't get my head around the point of that.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

There’s no ‘obvious’ Thai Snare (trap) or whatever paranoid conclusion you wish to draw. 

Decisions such as this are simply borne out of clumsiness and a lack of critical thought from those attempting to hash-out policy and attempt to achieve a solution.

I imagine no one in the room at the time thought....  hang-on a minute, but can’t new arrivals catch Covid-19 on day 1, 2, 3, or 4 ???? ....   and I’m glad no one did ask this question, otherwise to counter this they may very well have come up with 5 days quarantine. 

Baby-steps for for the juvenile minds of those in positions of decision making power - the removal of the day 5 test is a natural progression and simply a matter of time.

Hanlon’s Razor indeed. I jokingly invented the "Thai Thick Gene" to explain much of this,but it increasingly seems a reality! ???? 

Compounding this is the prevalence within officials of the Dunning- Kruger effect.

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul met with AirAsia CEO Tony Fernandes, who suggested measures to improve the “Test & Go” scheme, specifically the removal of the second test requirement.

Of course IGNORE any real health officials and listen only to someone whose profits depend on such decisions (unless some brown envelopes are passed, then it's perfectly fine).

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

People only get covid if they test.If you don't test you get a cold or flu.I never tested so I didn't get covid but I did get a cold or flu.If people want to stop the spread of covid then stop testing for it.

Does the same logic work for pregnancy tests ? You only have a baby if you do a test, otherwise no test then you are not pregnant ?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, racyrick said:

What a joke. A CEO with a vested interest in trying to improve his business at the expense of the people's health.

Most infections are caught on the second test!!!!

Yes, but most of the positives on the second test may well be caused by contracting the virus between the 1st and 5th day! Why would anyone, especially with a family come here with the possibility of one member testing positive on the 5th day and ruining the vacation for all? Join the rest of the world and drop the useless restrictions!

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

I doubt the second test is of any use in preventing the rise of the Omicron variant in Thailand but the main problem for me is not the test, its having to check back in to a hotel again.  I just can't get my head around the point of that.

The main problem,and a much bigger one, would be were your second test to be positive. 

12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I still agree with the pre-flight PCR test... this is to protect others on the flight - Thailand can do away with the rest.

That test should also have some benefit wrt protecting the people within Thailand. 

15 hours ago, racyrick said:

What a joke. A CEO with a vested interest in trying to improve his business at the expense of the people's health.

Ecause tourists catch it during their first 5 days in Thailand? And if they brought it with them, they have had 5 days to spread it anyway. 

can you really explain any real. benefit wrt the second test?

Edited by wensiensheng
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, thaiman said:

Indeed.  Maybe 100k/daily new local infections and they're overly concerned with a few travelers coming into the country.  If they really were concerned, why not rapid test everyone who rides the BTS/MRT before everyday.  Then throw those infected in isolation?  It's all a joke at this point!

LOL it has always been this the trains and buses did not stop

15 hours ago, racyrick said:

The joke is not knowing that airlines and all related businesses that support a large scale operation  are essential for a thriving country. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul Henry said:

Only the unvaccinated should have to go to manditory Covid testing on arrival. They should also be isolated on the aircraft bringing them into the country. Maybe better still 'NO JABS NO ENTRY".

Problem with that - even though I agree somewhat - is what is unvaccinated  ? You could claim that 2 or 3 jabs is not vaccinated enough 

50 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Does the same logic work for pregnancy tests ? You only have a baby if you do a test, otherwise no test then you are not pregnant ?

Does the same logic work for pregnancy tests ?If you can't answer that then you might consider claiming a refund on your education expenses because they seemed to have had little to no promising results.

• Haha 1