Tanker caught discharging oil into the sea off Thailand’s Chon Buri province

snoop1130

8.png

The skipper of an aging oil tanker is facing charges for violating the Navigation in Thai Waters Act by allegedly discharging about 3,000 litres of oil into the sea off Chon Buri province.

Royal Thai Navy (RTN) Spokesman Vice Admiral Pokkrong Monthatphalin told the media that the 30-40-year-old tanker was found to have discharged oil mixed with water into the sea, as it was cruising in the Gulf of Thailand west of Juang Island in Sattahip district yesterday.

He said a naval vessel found suspected oil slicks, about five miles long, yesterday morning and alerted the First Fleet based at the Sattahip naval base.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/tanker-caught-discharging-oil-into-the-sea-off-thailands-chon-buri-province/

Logo-top-.png
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-02-24

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Sad 9

4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

For the mess it could make and the potential cleaning bill I think that is an incredibly low maximum sentence !

He added that officials will file charges against the skipper for violating Section 119 of the Navigation in Thai Waters Act, which carries a maximum jail term of three years and/or a fine of 60,000 baht if convicted.

60,000bahts? is that a joke? It should. E 6 million baht and 10 years in jail, confiscation and dismantling of the tanker..

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stefanix said:

The skipper is probably only partially to blame. Probably this happens in consent with the owner. They should be punished and pay for the damage! Why are they not named?

They are ordered to dump used Fuel Oil at sea; you can normally find great blobs of it on your local Beaches in your home country, it's everywhere !

5 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Keel-haul the man I say.

The company that this ship belongs to should get an enormous fine and be sued. These crimes against the environment happen every single day, all over the world, and they need to be stopped. The only way to accomplish that is to hurt them financially.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

They are ordered to dump used Fuel Oil at sea;

Fuel oil ios expensive. Why dump it. Anyone who knows anything about the operation of a ship will know they pumped the bilges.

23 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

discharged oil mixed with water i

QED

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Stefanix said:

The skipper is probably only partially to blame. Probably this happens in consent with the owner. They should be punished and pay for the damage! Why are they not named?

Perhaps it's a Thai company. Normally shouted from the rooftops if anyone else.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

They are ordered to dump used Fuel Oil at sea; you can normally find great blobs of it on your local Beaches in your home country, it's everywhere !

Used fuel oil??? That would be called exhaust. It goes up the smoke stack. I’m pretty sure they were tank washing.

23 minutes ago, whaleboneman said:

Used fuel oil??? That would be called exhaust. It goes up the smoke stack. I’m pretty sure they were tank washing.

Agreed ! Tank  flushing in expectation of a new different cargo as informed by shipping  owners. Sadly I would suspect that insufficient "blinding " money was paid to ignore  such close proximity  flush.

On 2/25/2022 at 11:12 AM, Stefanix said:

Yep. 

Working offshore for many years, occasionally the rig would be in the shipyard or dockside I'd see these old vessels and their captains/skippers. 

Phillipines and Indians (if local ship, Thai captain), most of these guys have no knowledge about the environment, their education is different from ours. 

These guys are on poor wages and forced by their companies to do this disgusting, unacceptable destruction to our planet.