Assault on Kiev: Russian helicopters swoop above Ukraine's capital

Chris.B

21 minutes ago, jollyhangmon said:

Here's how the Austrian preser V.d.Bellen broke it down yesterday evening:

"The problem now is that we are not clear about the russian goal here, rather putins goal, as none of the possible versions show any sign of peace coming back to Ukraine. I've just talked to several countries leaders who all got the same problem:

'Did putin change, what's the reasoning for doing what he does? Can we still talk, to whom ...?'

This has become a very opaque system all of a sudden where for example foreign minister Lavrov seems to no longer belong to the inner circle - this makes the situation even more complicated ..."

(my translation)

Putins goal is no more independent Ukraine! Ukraine belongs to Russia, and there have never been a Ukraine. Rus is orign Ukraine, and Vladimer a prince was baptized there in 988. A Vladimer Putin often have refered to. 

read about Vladimir here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_the_Great

Another great hero of Putin is Peter the Great, and is a huge inspiration for him as well. 

The whole thing is not so difficult, when see everything throughout history. Hitler rise after Germany was defeated and humilated in 1. world war, the same humilation Putin have felt on behalf of Soviets fall and crushed by the west. 

History have a tendency to repeat itself

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, grin said:

I may have missed it but I never saw this posted.

The official Ukraine website is here: Updates

It seems to be updated a couple of times a day at this point.

Do you believe it all other than the power station being bombarded.

The news feed feels overwhelming at times. As if things couldn't get worse, reports that a nuclear power station is on fire certainly up the catastrophe factor. It just seems so incredible to me that only 2 years ago the worlds biggest headline was some overweight guy fed a few fish a bit fast in Japan. Oh how I wish we were back in those halcyon days.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Do you believe every border state have the right to carry out terror attacks to seperate themselves from their state? 

That is something happening all over the world between China and Tibet, China and India, India and Pakistan, kurdistan basically from every Neighbouring country (I personally feel for them) and many many other conflicts is based on etnecity and religion and also historical borders. 

Donbass insurgants have been sponsored by Moscow with soldiers and wepons. 

War is horror and sometimes hard to take side, but now Putin have put Europes peace on stake. No more understanding and talks, Pitin must be stopped and that have a price Ukraine is willing to pay at the moment. 

No but the west enable it to happen.

Maybe Thaiwan next seeing how the US has reacted.

Donbass thing has been going on for 8 years apparently who cared.

The west cares about Ukraine now but cannot or do not want to do anything to stop the killing on both sides. 

Well in the past the west didn't play the devious game how they should of in my mind.

It was getting all nice and peaceful with friendly exchanges then forget when Putin ask to be part of NATO it seem to me he started his attack on the west then. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, grin said:

I may have missed it but I never saw this posted.

The official Ukraine website is here: Updates

It seems to be updated a couple of times a day at this point.

Bit one sided news and overly optimistic in the Ukrainian favor.

01:02

At the strategic base of the Russian army in Kuibysheve, Mykolaiv area, 245 units of equipment, 30 helicopters were destroyed, “many APCs, fuel and personnel” – the chairman of the Mykolaiv regional administration Vitaly Kim. “Ukrainians chased the Russian column around the region. They caught up. There are zero losses on the Ukrainian side, the occupiers have a lot of losses,” he added.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

So if you are anti Putin and pro Russian people why do most of your posts support or excuse the invasion?

It is a difference between understand why things escalate to aggree with the actions. 

This did not start in 2022 or 2014, and there is a long link with incidents directly to the crisis or conflict, but also seen the collaps of soviet and what have been going after the 3 decades after the collaps. 

Putin and Russia have been slowly chased and cornered, and one of the reasons of why this is happening now, is Europe depend on gas and opil from russia, and we (europe) is in a bad bad position now thinking of next years winter and energy crisis and also regarding clima crisis. 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

You're giving Putin's irrational paranoia way more credit than it deserves.

His a KGB agent who became Empirer right? Imagine James Bond as an Prime minister in UK? 

A little joke, 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hummin said:

His a KGB agent who became Empirer right? Imagine James Bond as an Prime minister in UK? 

A little joke, 

However, paranoia have driven many democratic presidents and primeministers to do the same! We do not know what would have happend if Saddam was not removed? 

My best guess, One million people would still have been alive, and it would had been more or less peaceful in middle east, and oil would had been down to 25 usd a barrel? 

Isis would never had been created, 

Putin would not had as much paranoia as he have now. He saw what happend to Saddam and Gaddaffi. Nuff said

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

Reminder of ASEAN Now posting policies:

18) Social Media content is acceptable in most social forums. However, in factual areas such as news, current affairs and health topics, it cannot be used unless it is from a credible news media source or government agency, and must include a weblink to the original source.

English is the only acceptable language anywhere on ASEAN NOW, except within the Thai language forum, where of course using Thai is allowed.

1 hour ago, clivebaxter said:

So if you are anti Putin and pro Russian people why do most of your posts support or excuse the invasion?

Excuse the invasion in what way. 

I don't support either side I'm just cynical of fake news reports of war and some of the posts here. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

It’s quite obvious that Russia is the agressor here, and that withdrawal of Russian troops from Ukrainian soil would be the best solution. Yet you haven’t condemned the Russian invasion and you keep pushing for Ukraine to surrender. Call me crazy, but I find that a little odd. 

Yeah is it crazy and so odd to want to saves lives on both sides so just keep giving Ukraine arms to prolong the slaughter that make sense doesn't it. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

World leaders condemn Russian attack on nuclear plant

World leaders are accusing Russia of endangering the safety of an entire continent after its forces attacked a nuclear power plant and sparked a fire.

A fire broke out at the Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant - the largest in Europe - after it was attacked by Russia.

Ukraine's Emergency Services managed to extinguish the fire, which broke out at a building outside the plant's perimeter, but authorities say that Russian troops have seized the plant.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-60532634

Edited by metisdead
14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

29 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

It’s quite obvious that Russia is the agressor here, and that withdrawal of Russian troops from Ukrainian soil would be the best solution. Yet you haven’t condemned the Russian invasion and you keep pushing for Ukraine to surrender. Call me crazy, but I find that a little odd. 

The easiest way, is to always follow the popular vote! 

What do you learn by that? If you start reading and follow news from both sides, and not even need to pick up conspirecy channels, you will know there is not a such thing as only good and bad. Both parts have intersts in the conflict far beyond human rights. 

And we all know, if Ukraine did surrender, many lives would have been saved on both sides, but it is not that easy either. 

who wants to give up their freedom to choose their own freedom

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Hummin said:

And we all know, if Ukraine did surrender, many lives would have been saved on both sides, but it is not that easy either. 

Of course it’s that easy: Putin has delusions of grandeur and Russia invaded Ukraine, without any good reason. So why should Ukraine surrender? That would be giving in to the bully. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Yeah is it crazy and so odd to want to saves lives on both sides so just keep giving Ukraine arms to prolong the slaughter that make sense doesn't it. 

Did Putin give you that message to send?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

So if Putin decides to keep moving and invade more independent sovereign countries how far are you willing to support the ‘surrender to him it will save lives’ argument?

I'm not willing to do anything just give an opinion if you don't agree tough. 

• Haha 1