Assault on Kiev: Russian helicopters swoop above Ukraine's capital

Chris.B

2 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

I don’t know what Putin propagandists would love. Do you have a link?

The longer the conflict goes on, the better for my personal circumstances.

Which are?

Posted (edited)

This might be a must read for those interested in how fascist dictator Putin has radically transformed Russia and threatens the west. This is much much bigger than just about Ukraine. 

https://archive.ph/9XHEq

MOSCOW — As Vladimir Putin persists in his bloody campaign to conquer Ukraine, the Russian leader is directing an equally momentous transformation at home — re-engineering his country into a regressive, militarized society that views the West as its mortal enemy.

Putin’s inauguration on Tuesday for a fifth term will not only mark his 25-year-long grip on power but also showcase Russia’s shift into what pro-Kremlin commentators call a “revolutionary power,” set on upending the global order, making its own rules, and demanding that totalitarian autocracy be respected as a legitimate alternative to democracy in a world redivided by big powers into spheres of influence.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

They don't have the range to attack the main oil production areas in West Siberia.  If they did manage to reach a target 2,000+km away, then I'd imagine things would escalate even further very quickly.

Current Conventional Oil Production in Russia

Russia Oil Map (carnegieendowment.org)

Edit:

The same goes for the main gas producing regions.  (Note the lack of any real pipeline network to China, something that is seriously hindering Russia's ability to sell gas on a major scale).

image.png.e1c572fab6ee89dc47246f5989dfaa2e.png

Main present and perspective Russian production regions | Download Scientific Diagram (researchgate.net)

There is the Power of Siberia and construction of Power of Siberia 2 is expected to commence sometime this year.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

This might be a must read for those interested in how fascist dictator Putin has radically transformed Russia and threatens the west. This is much much bigger than just about Ukraine. 

https://archive.ph/9XHEq

MOSCOW — As Vladimir Putin persists in his bloody campaign to conquer Ukraine, the Russian leader is directing an equally momentous transformation at home — re-engineering his country into a regressive, militarized society that views the West as its mortal enemy.

Putin’s inauguration on Tuesday for a fifth term will not only mark his 25-year-long grip on power but also showcase Russia’s shift into what pro-Kremlin commentators call a “revolutionary power,” set on upending the global order, making its own rules, and demanding that totalitarian autocracy be respected as a legitimate alternative to democracy in a world redivided by big powers into spheres of influence.

Preaching to the choir.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

And predictably he will act all surprised and outraged if/when Russia targets British-supplied weapons whilst they are still in Britain.

On 5/3/2024 at 11:06 AM, Bkk Brian said:

That's about as ridiculous as saying that Ukraine will target North Korea or Iran who supply weapons for Russia to use

A few moments later...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13387683/Moscow-threatens-strike-British-military-targets-Ukraine-abroad.html

Moscow has threatened to strike British military targets in Ukraine and elsewhere if it finds Kyiv's forces used British-supplied long-range missiles to strike Russia.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

Where does your link say Russia will target British-supplied weapons whilst they are still in Britain?

The Russian foreign ministry summoned British Ambassador Nigel Casey (right) to the Kremlin on Monday and warned him that if Ukrainian forces use British weaponry to attack Russia, Moscow could hit 'any UK military facility and equipment on Ukrainian territory and beyond

"and beyond"  in my view means including on British soil

then we also have this earlier bit of news

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13386907/Russia-stepping-plans-unleash-violent-acts-sabotage-Europe-including-bombings-arson-attacks-intelligence-agencies-warn-wave-arrests-Moscow-operatives.html

Do you think the Russians might be trying to tell us something ??

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

issuing another worthless and baseless threat just as they continue doing from the start of their illegal invasion. 

Well it seems to me they carried out the  worthless and baseless threat of taking control of Crimea and then the Donbas region...

After this very clear warning will you be as surprised and outraged as Cameron will be  when "something"  happens ?

Russia's foreign ministry said Lord Cameron's remarks recognised that Britain was now de-facto a part of the conflict and contradicted an earlier assurance that long-range weapons given to Ukraine would not be used against Russia.

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, johng said:

Well it seems to me they carried out the  worthless and baseless threat of taking control of Crimea and then the Donbas region...

After this very clear warning will you be as surprised and outraged as Cameron will be  when "something"  happens ?

Russia's foreign ministry said Lord Cameron's remarks recognised that Britain was now de-facto a part of the conflict and contradicted an earlier assurance that long-range weapons given to Ukraine would not be used against Russia.

After this very clear warning will you be as surprised and outraged as Cameron will be  when "something"  happens

Yes I would be surprised if WW3 happened because that's what it would be if they carried out a strike on the UK. They would also not survive. In the meantime you carry on worrying, they issues these threats all the time.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 5/4/2024 at 6:35 PM, jas007 said:

Off the top of my head, I think I remember seeing or reading about an interview with Trump about what he said to Putin about Ukraine. Trump told Putin that if Russia invaded Ukraine, the US would bomb the Kremlin. When I heard that, I found it hard o believe, but maybe Trump really did say that, and maybe Putin didn’t want to FAFO.

Well I don't remember any such thing. Do you have a link to a reliable source for that?

I have to say, it sounds highly unlikely to me, given that during his presidency, he thought that Ukraine should be part of Russia and when the invasion actually happened, he called Putin a genius for doing it. 

Donald Trump Trump thought Ukraine ‘must be part of Russia’ during presidency

Trump calls Putin ‘genius’ and ‘savvy’ for Ukraine invasion

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

they issues these threats all the time.

Yes and "the collective west" don't ever seem to listen  until they carry out the treat  as we have seen in Crimea and now the Donbas...then they are surprised and outraged ...it's not as though they didn't say 

plain as day "if you do this we will do that"  they have said it again and again  now they are actually doing it...and yes I am concerned  I think you should be too..unless you have a spot in the Zuckerburg fallout shelter.

• Confused 2
  • Agree 1

On 5/4/2024 at 11:35 PM, jas007 said:

Off the top of my head, I think I remember seeing or reading about an interview with Trump about what he said to Putin about Ukraine. Trump told Putin that if Russia invaded Ukraine, the US would bomb the Kremlin. When I heard that, I found it hard o believe, but maybe Trump really did say that, and maybe Putin didn’t want to FAFO.

It's OK. I remember things that turn out to not have happened as well. Something to do with old age I suspect. Half the time I don't know if it's something that actually happened or if I dreamed it.

Somehow I doubt that Trump wants to die in MAD any more than anyone else.

7 minutes ago, Wobblybob said:

So basically because Putin has stockpiles of nuclear weapons he's allowed to invade other sovereign countries, is that what you're saying?

No he is not allowed he "just does it"  same as America was not allowed to invade Vietnam,Iraq,Syria,Afghanistan  but "just did it"   same as Israel is not allowed to invade Gaza  but "just does it", those wielding the nuclear bomb "just do it"   Thatcher "just did it" with the Falkland isles..Cameron thinks he can take on the worlds largest nuclear power :cheesy:

• Confused 5
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

The west has been too afraid to help Ukraine actually win instead of just not lose.

That's gotta change.

Ukraine never stood a chance...except at the very beginning..but those peace talks where scuppered by Boris Johnson.

A US  NATO war against Russia isn't something I want..I'd rather Ukraine give up the land they already lost sign a peace deal and stop the killing.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2