What is the good news about living in Thailand now?

webfact

4 hours ago, blazes said:

I'm still waiting (for many years) for the good news that the ridiculous tax on imported red wine be dropped to something that does not threaten bankruptcy.

Getting a bottle of wine here without having to search the label for the print, that requires a magnifying glass, saying 'Fruit Wine' meaning it's up to 15% added fruit juice or whatever is the most annoying thing about wine here. And nowadays it's not much cheaper than a half decent real wine.

8 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I was recently in the US for a few months. Mom people are fairly sour, and bitter these days. No humor, serious, downcast, and they just do not look like their lives are particularly fulfilling. And hyper inflation is out of control. They are admitting to over 7%. It is likely closer to 20%. Prices are stupid. And between me too and Covid women have basically shut down. Good looking, successful friends of mine there cannot even get dates. 

Here, some people seem to be struggling. But, they are still somewhat even minded, and many are quite pleasant. Many have maintained their light heartedness, and their sense of humor. And I can walk into a restaurant and (harmlessly) flirt with a gorgeous 23 year old waitress, and she is all smiles. And the restaurant does not cost me an arm and a leg. Life here is just so much more pleasant. As long as I keep my head in the sand over politics, the extreme over reaction to Covid, and the major issues here caused by the goons shutting down the economy over Covid. 

Biden 7% inflation disaster

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, bang saen guy said:

The only upside to living here is cheap rent and readily available sex.

The only foreigners that survive on Thai food are skint or too lazy to cook for themselves

I like Thai food, about 80% of my diet. I cook for myself the rest of the time.

I have calculated my assets apart from my pension will run out when I am about 106, so I don't consider I am skint.

I agree on the upsides you mention; however, there are more than two for me.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Hardly a plus. Thai strawberries are tiny and goppin. Big red juicy English strawberries can’t be beat. 
For sure, Thailand is better than some other places but with a big dark cloud over it in the form of an autocratic gov… not far off tyrant. Putin. 

Dont agree with you about the strawberries....I prefer the Thai ones...green and dipped in the salt.  

The huge tasteless red ones in UK supermarkets just taste like sweet water.

But the wild strawberry are very good 

Agree about the rear of your post 100 percent though. 

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Tom H said:

Good is, that Russia wont attack Thailand.

Just remember the true story about the man who sensed that WW2 was about to start and he searched the map of the world for the safest place to hide out until the war was over, and after much research, just a few weeks before Germany invaded Poland, this man relocated to a remote little island in the Pacific named Guadalcanal.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I agree with most of what you write. But strawberries in Thailand are just not what strawberries are supposed to be.

Where in Thailand can you get strawberries like this?

erdbeeren-erdbeerzeit-cc0pixabaymaxmann-

It is true, English strawberries beat everything else. But every year in Thailand, I have absolutely lovely strawberries that I am very happy with. The photo above shows no better than I have been eating as little as two weeks ago. I would add that I wont buy from the supermarkets - stupidly expensive and never look very nice. When I go away towards the mountains where they grow, I buy for B100 that would cost B250 in the towns.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

It is true, English strawberries beat everything else. But every year in Thailand, I have absolutely lovely strawberries that I am very happy with. The photo above shows no better than I have been eating as little as two weeks ago. I would add that I wont buy from the supermarkets - stupidly expensive and never look very nice. When I go away towards the mountains where they grow, I buy for B100 that would cost B250 in the towns.

English is better than French or Aussie?

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I agree with most of what you write. But strawberries in Thailand are just not what strawberries are supposed to be.

Where in Thailand can you get strawberries like this?

erdbeeren-erdbeerzeit-cc0pixabaymaxmann-

You can get strawberries like this on a market in our vicinity. And they taste better than the ones I used to eat in Switzerland (both local and imported). And they are not even overly expensive. Thailand has made a huge step forward as strawberries are concerned. The times of the half-white-tasteless-hard ones are over. They used to grow them in the Chiang Mai area I remember, but I do not know where the really sweet and full tasting ones are grown that my wife buys now (if they are available and not sold out) but almost 100% they are not imported.

So it is a question of knowing where to buy the right stuff only.

7 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Hardly a plus. Thai strawberries are tiny and goppin. Big red juicy English strawberries can’t be beat. 
For sure, Thailand is better than some other places but with a big dark cloud over it in the form of an autocratic gov… not far off tyrant. Putin. 

Tyrant? surrounded by US bases, that have killed more people than any other county, laid was to Iraq.Afghanistan Lybia the list is endless. And we are conditioned to believe Putin is a Tryrant. We bomb Syria because they are said to use barrel bombs, we are so much more civilised we use cruze missiles Assad was the Tyrant. Omar Kadaffi, Sadam and all the rest were Tryrants when we bombed Noe Putin give me a break

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

There have been restrictions on flying back into Thailand... certainly did not wish to get stuck in the UK. My home is here now.

Stay in Thailand.

You wouldn't know what freedom looks like here in the UK.

Give me four seasons, a fresh breeze on my face  any day of the week over the oppressive heat and humidity in Thailand.

"Get stuck in the UK".

You mean you couldn't afford to come back permanently?

Let's see how Thailand works out for you when you can't get insurance over 70.

Enjoy mucking out the buffaloes and i'll make a donation to your Go Fund Me page to get you a flight back to the UK.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Cherrytreeview said:

You mean you couldn't afford to come back permanently?

Let's see how Thailand works out for you when you can't get insurance over 70.

I could, but I'd have to work, and I'd be cold all the time.

I don't expect to live past 70 ...... no need for insurance when you're dead.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, webfact said:

The good news is at least Thailand produces masses of its own fresh fruit and vegetables.

The good news is that with all the chemical pesticides found in the wonderful Thai fruits and vegetables that you ingest, you will never be eaten by bugs.  

Edited by sirineou
typo
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I could, but I'd have to work, and I'd be cold all the time.

I don't expect to live past 70 ...... no need for insurance when you're dead.

This is exactly what I mean.

So many here have burned bridges, no plan B and hope that it all works out.

It's all a joke until it isn't.

Rising inflation, strengtening baht, frozen UK state pension and a never ending cycle of cheaper places to rent as your savings are eroded.

You don't decide how long you live unless you jump off a balcony.

Best of luck to you, your going to need it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2