Thailand moving to scrap all tourist restrictions this year once the Covid virus is declared endemic

webfact

"economic data suggests strongly that foreign tourism income has a far higher impact on the country’s economy than originally thought due to its impact on confidence and the level of indirect economic activity generated."

WOW - they are looking at economic data??  Who could have predicted this? Surely they need a new committee of 30+ professors from Chula to study this new economic data in great detail - maybe a year or so.....

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand will scrap all restrictions on inbound tourists once the COVID-19 virus has been declared endemic, something that is expected this year.

The key words ... "THIS YEAR".

• Like 1

Yes it may look like a good news... I am hoping too, can't compare Latin America to SE Asia and especially Thailand.

BUT... They actually just changed the second test from PCR to Antigen, they did not scrap it, nor provide clarity about the forced hospitalization. 

It's the Tourism and Sport Ministry whish, to return to normal, "this year maybe" indeed...

We know how it works... Will see in a few months, if something official.

13 minutes ago, joecoolfrog said:

Thailand has constantly been been 6 months behind the ball since vaccinations started.

With that in mind my bet would be the autumn.

Can you really see Thailand clinging to its mandates as its competition in neighboring states relax theirs?  I don't.  I think this all falls like a house of cards.  If not... see you in Autumn!  ????   I would be a fool to claim my predictions are any better than yours!   Cheers

21 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

That was not my point, i was making a clear comparison on SA with low vaccinations and Thailand which are much higher and so deaths far less. As for the UK, I'm all for its total re opening and lifting of restrictions due to its high immunity wall. For Thailand the Test and go is a complete waste of time.

Absolutely agree with you.  

Test and go, they can give me a blow.  I'm vaccinated, on a plane, so is everyone else, that's enough.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, desert dueller said:

I'd wait for how BA.2 variant turns out. Seems to be the next big wave on the horizon. And apparently much worse than anything encountered previously.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/23/health/covid-ba2-omicron-studies-explainer/index.html

That would appear to be fear mongering..... 

While it may well be the most contagious variant so far, it is not the most dangerous symptomatically. It is claimed to be of a similar level as the B1-Omcron variant, which itself was optimistically claimed to be the variant to end the pandemic, by bringing about Covid herd immunity. 

Dr John Campbell recently stated this.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, kiwikeith said:

My personal experience, - My son brought it home from school , Im 69 and wife 45 (Thai) my son got it like a mild cold, he is 10yrs old, I got headaches and running nose , fatigue for a few days, my wife the only one vaccinated with 2 shots of Pfizer was in bed for nearly 4 days, bad headaches and coughing up mucous, we all were coughing up a bit but nothing as bad as bronchitis after the flue.

We isolated 10 days and the only medication was Panadol every four hours, We are over it and my son is back to school, the only other thing was we all took D3 and K2 and magnesium and zinc, then, when it started we all took vitamin c, but don't do this unless you talk to your doc first.. So for us it was not as bad as some flues we have had, but smokers and diabetics may be at higher risk as they are with the common Flue. Cheers, I hope things open up soon I have been stuck here over 2 yrs now and want to get back, to home I call Thailand my home.

Here’s one of my personal experience in Thailand. Friend of mine early 30’s caught it. Not vaccinated, he claims his doctor in the UK told him not to because of a medical reason but never really convinced me of that, regardless he suffered quite bad, just over a week of severe coughing including black gunk coming out, fever, severe aches and body pains. Shortness of breath. He was on the verge of calling the hospital to get admitted, only reason he never was because of the cost. Luckily pulled through. 
His girlfriend living with him, is vaccinated and boosted, she looked after him throughout, she also caught it but suffered mild symptoms just a mild cold she said.

Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn as well as the bunch of clowns on the governmental-merry-go-round might be interested to learn, that vacation plans for Summer 2022 are almost finalized, booked and concluded. 

So, unless someone pulls the coronaphobia-plug once and for good, Thailand will see yet another disastrously empty "high" season, which will not only bite into the country's GDP but will fan the glooming charcoal of social uproar. The writing, gentlemen, is on the wall in big capital letters ... if you ask me ???? 

• Like 1