Fino or Scoopy

Kiwithl

13 yo niece to get one despite not wanting it or wanting to learn to ride motor scooter (can ride bicycle). (I think parents just need excuse to buy another hack for around the village).

I have suggested other auto scooters and centrifugal clutch steph-throughs.

No gears, too difficult.

Other scooters not beautiful.

Who would charge up an electric scooter? (Yes, really!)

Boils down to Fino or Scoopy. Vote here...

And please explain reason for your choice.

Both horrible, horrible things in my opinion. As are most/all auto scooters. (My opinion may change when I can no longer manage a motorcycle).

Edited by Kiwithl
More info.

43 minutes ago, Kiwithl said:

13 yo niece to get one despite not wanting it

Just saying:

even with 15 yr old she would not get a driving license valid for a Scoopy or Fino. (or do they still offer 110ccm).

Where will she "learn"? Hopefully not on busy roads?

One granddaughter has some "high end" Scoopy with tubeless tires (is it "Scoopy i Club 12"?).

Quite nice.

I still like the small motorbikes with that type of automatic clutch like a basic Honda Wave.

Cheap price, cheap parts, serviced at every corner.

But don't offer that to the niece. She will burst in tears if "farang uncle" comes with such a low prestige idea :biggrin:

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

I'm a scoopy fan, I think Honda beats Yamaha. 

Honda beats Yamaha in marketing. I don't see much difference on the technical side.

I think Yamaha is cheaper new, but the resale value of a used Honda is higher.

Giving a 13 y/o a motorbike that she doesn't even want? ???? Not a good decision IMO.

How about buying her a nice bicycle + helmet? Let her learn the rules of the road @ 5 km/h instead of 35 km/h.

• Like 2

Just now, John Bird said:

Get her a new bicycle

Yep...she will be really safe on a bicycle.......... same roads etc, but they just dont hit people on Bicycles, except for me 3 times in 11 years, last one got me facial reconstruction . Used to Love riding my bike.

My Daughter got  a Fino  about 14 years ago---got some extras etc, first day at school came home with the wing mirrors gone and something else. Went to the school to ask about their CCTV cameras ---yes have-- no--not work, long time.

I guess whatever bike is flavor of the year, mechanically I think there all much the same. Hers is still going.

13 yo niece to get one despite not wanting it or wanting to learn to ride motor scooter

Op, The above statement should tell you the correct level of input

in this situation for this very young lady.

Do you truly want to be party to this.

Edited by Orinoco

Bought a Yamaha Fino in 2008, about 35,000 baht from memory; sold 2014 with 54,000km to a colleague of my partner and it's still running, over 100,000km now. Bought its replacement, think closer to 50,000 baht, now has 60,000km - well-maintained, all services on time; tyres, a couple of batteries,  a few bulbs otherwise trouble-free.

Add here my longest trip on a Fino was 2010, from Sa Kaeo-Chanthaburi-Rayong in a day. Not in  a hurry to repeat that, but did do several Chanthaburi-Sa Kaeo journeys about 200km soon after we moved to Chanthaburi, I'm not in a hurry (fortunately) and due especially due to the volume of traffic on Highway 317, keep up with the flow much of the time. 

Don't expect much difference with a Scoopy, maintenance and driver care the key to both surviving.

Sorry haven't followed up on this.

Party to and abetting this madness? No. I told them it was a stupid idea and thing to do. 

Yes, nonsense. I was too arrogant/naive/forgetful and thought they'd listen to me! Like they haven't in the past when I said their 18 yo should get his licence or when I told them not to let the 15/16? Yo ride his wave without a rear brake.

Went to their place ready to give them my advice, fino, thanks people.

<deleted>? A brand new Yamaha Finn 115i FI Modern City Unified Braking System! (A wave by another manufacturer).

But, but you said auto...!?

Turns out they video called from the shop to yai. Red, black, fino, scoopy?... Yai said she was scared she wouldn't make it to the rubber plantation on one of those. Not enough ground clearance. So they bought the finn. At least they listen to someone. Nice helmet came with it. Niece not home so idk reaction.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Fino! 

They have a more classy look than the Scoopy. The Scoopy is all bulbous and bouncy looking. 

And whilst the dry weight of a Fino is slightly higher than the Scoopy(98 to 91kgs respectively), the Fino is nippy and stable at full throttle, we've had her up to her limit at about 110-120 and she's still smooth as silk. 

The Fino's 57km/L is excellent fuel efficiency. 

We've had a couple over the years, both have been excellent. 

We had a shop a few years back and along with a nice chrome rack on the back for soda crates, we also had large canvas saddle bags for boxes of beer, she was seriously loaded but she never missed a beat, still feels brand new today after 6 years of abuse. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all. 

13 yo errand runner sums it up. An excuse for another village hack. I don't think she's even sat on it yet, let alone done an errand. Yai's appropriated it for going to tap the rubber and get to the card/hilo games... 

• Thanks 1