Wise/Transferwise slow at the end of the month?

Last night and today, Transferwise (aka Wise) is crazy slow.  Transfers that normally take under a minute are taking maybe 10 hours — from my internal EUR balance to THB accounts in Bangkok, and so far for at least two recipient banks.  I’m pretty sure the delay is on the Wise end.  Transfers from last night went through late morning today, and transfers from early and mid morning are still in “Sending” status late afternoon.

My girlfriend suggested it could be because banks are busy with payroll at the end of the month.  I am skeptical, I think there’s something wrong in Wiseville.  And of course they have no customer service contact, at all.

So — anyone else having similar problems, or have insight into end-of-month issues?

I shall be doing a transfer via WISE (no need to say it was formerly Transferwise  any more, we all know) tomorrow.

Will let you know on Wednesday. I want it to take a day so that it arrives as an International Transfer.

I started a xfer, $1000 USD 11:30 this morning (Monday 28 Feb). Wise said it would take ~30 minutes. It's nearly 5:00 pm same day and still no xfer. I actually found it amusing as their push update to the website changed the xfer time every 15-30 minutes until it finally gave up and now states "Sorry for the wait — we need a bit more time to process your transfer." I've grown to mistrust them to xfer in under 5 days and plan accordingly.

Yes, I've had xfers that went faster than the time it took to log in, but I'll never depend on it.

8 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

I started a xfer, $1000 USD 11:30 this morning (Monday 28 Feb). Wise said it would take ~30 minutes. It's nearly 5:00 pm same day and still no xfer. I actually found it amusing as their push update to the website changed the xfer time every 15-30 minutes until it finally gave up and now states "Sorry for the wait — we need a bit more time to process your transfer." I've grown to mistrust them to xfer in under 5 days and plan accordingly.

Yes, I've had xfers that went faster than the time it took to log in, but I'll never depend on it.

Exactly same for me today. I was thinking maybe the exchange rate moved against them and they are hoping to trade it at a better price. Could be volume related at end of the month. Who knows? 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

I've had long waits with them. Alas, my US bank is Bank of America And Wise doesn't pull out ACH transfers except during banking hours. Then, when it comes to Thailand, it needs to wait until Bangkok Bank is open to make the transfer. One time I telephoned Bangkok Bank to ask them why I had not received a transfer as it was past noon here in Thailand. I got put through to their foreign currency transfer office and the woman there told me there were still 50 transfers in front of mine but that I would get mine within an hour. I did. But what that means for Bangkok Bank is that they are going through these transfers from the US individually and using staff to clear each transfer. So if there are a lot of transfers in front of yours, as there might be at the end of the month, then you just might have to wait some time.

• Like 2

I did a transfer of 1000 THB to my Daughters Kasikorn account around 1pm yesterday early afternoon, arrived today at 1pm!

A 40.000 THB transfer to my own account SCB (send very early today) was supposed to arrive within 20 minutes, still isn't here. (5:14pm)

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

This again ,,, I always transfer 65,100 in the first few days of each month. Order in the evening Thai Time and it's always in my BB account next day at 2pm and showing FTT. Transfer is from the UK

I really dont understand why people are not happy receiving their money next day.

I don't mind, but sending 1000 THB to Kasikorn and that taking one day. IMHO that is slow!! Normally those amounts are instant!

Edited by MJCM

I transferred $10k AUD at 10:30 am today - in my Kasikorn account at 4pm this afternoon - no complaints from me.

Since I have started transferring to Kasikorn (rather than Krungsri) is mostly same day. Was 2 to 5 days with Krungsri if a weekend or holiday got in the way.

I have never noticed any difference due to ‘time of the month’ with my money transfers. Marked difference with other people in my household however. 

• Like 1

It seems to have cleared up, I just did 3 consecutive 1000 EUR transfers starting at 6pm and the first two are already through, about 10 minutes each, just waiting on the third.

Yeah I have BofA in the US too and I do send money there from my EUR accounts using Transferwise but man, is it slow, I just assume at least a week for any transfer.

If THB transfers always took a day I'd still use Wise but I guess I've come to expect the near-instant transfers, and as long as they work I'm reluctant to add the complexity of a Thai bank account to my life, as I'm still a relative newbie.

Thanks everyone for replying!

2 hours ago, JAS21 said:

I really dont understand why people are not happy receiving their money next day.

Always for my Euro transfer specifying purpose for long term stay.

Enter workday x, receive workday x+1 at 14:0xh.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, RafPinto said:

Let's see how immigration will act on the "65k" monthly transfer.
As I am a UOB customer, maximum transfer amount now at 49.999 Baht, hence I need 2 transfers.

Change your bank for receipt of Wise transfers.......................................or marry somebody!????

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, RafPinto said:

As I am a UOB customer, maximum transfer amount now at 49.999 Baht, hence I need 2 transfers.

Does it show as International Transfer  or (same same) FTT

12 hours ago, RafPinto said:

Difficult one this.

Could suggest change receiving bank or send swift bank to bank transfers.

Sent 2000 pound to Siam Commercial last friday................told would arrive today 1/3 ........yesterday recieved an email saying i had cancelled the transfer (which i hadn't).................

Tried another transfer 1500 yesterday the 28th , told will arrive the 2nd of March (tomorrow)

Original 2000 they debited the cash straight away last friday as of yesterday they had not sent it back to my UK bank

I think the rate has gone down and they are not honouring the quoted exchange rate

Will check later today to see if the 2000 has been returned

I initiated my usual 500 USD transfer today at 1AM (Thai time). Funds were received immediately from my US bank via ACH. Normally, the transfer at this time of day is instant, but this time the screen said 11 hours. 8 hours later, still not received by K-Bank.

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Change bank

I am very happy with UOB

They were also the only ones opening an account without having a work permit, 3,5 years ago.
Singapore bank I trust more than Thai banks.
I don't understand that only a few thai banks are now allowed to receive more than 50k Baht in one transaction.

1 minute ago, RafPinto said:

I am very happy with UOB

They were also the only ones opening an account without having a work permit, 3,5 years ago.
Singapore bank I trust more than Thai banks.
I don't understand that only a few thai banks are now allowed to receive more than 50k Baht in one transaction.

Indeed, you can't have have your cake burned at both ends.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2022 at 9:33 AM, thaiflyer1 said:

Sent 2000 pound to Siam Commercial last friday................told would arrive today 1/3 ........yesterday recieved an email saying i had cancelled the transfer (which i hadn't).................

Tried another transfer 1500 yesterday the 28th , told will arrive the 2nd of March (tomorrow)

Received an email this morning 9.30am................money was due in 10am.......................Wise now saying it will be tomorrow the 3rd.