Why do we continue to receive smaller pensions than European expats?

webfact

19 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

I get a small pension from Norway. It dropped from £160 to £130 a month because I told them I am living in Thailand.

I shall be 'moving back' to UK next month!

Your right to export your full pention to a country outside Europe, depending on how many years you lived and worked in Norway. 

• Confused 1

I agree with @kennw, IMO if you are living in any foreign nation (meaning not the one paying you a state pension or benefit), then you should be thankful for whatever you get from that country. The taxes you paid throughout your life didn't go into a pot of gold with your name against it, it went to pay for roads, hospitals, education, defense, and towards whoever was getting a government benefit at that point in time. Correct me if I'm wrong but most western nations are heavily indebted, and benefits are paid from present day taxes, not a pension savings fund that was built up during the time you paid taxes (unless you have your own superannuation or 401k etc style that really was paid from your earnings). If you think you are being penalised living in Thailand (or whereever) then move to Spain, the UK, or where it works better for you. Sadly for most people they are raised with a sense of entitlement and expect governments to take care of them, I've planned to take care of myself and am not expecting anything in the way of government assistance. I know I won't be popular with many for expressing this opinion but if you are getting a pension count yourself lucky and enjoy the time you have left, I've paid a cr@p load of taxes in my time and have no expectation of getting any of that "back".

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, itsari said:

I am not about handouts for fuel etc 

I and many hundreds of thousands are cheated by the UK and Australia . Australia being the worst offender 

I know what you are saying, I am also a Australian and have lived here more than 20 years and have accepted the terms of the pension from day one. It would be very hard to live in Australia now on the pension with all the extras but dead easy here.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Harveyboy said:

UK doesn't give s##t about its oap's we have outlived our usefulness.. discarded.no longer needed work us till we drop then pay us a pittance   just take a look at what other countries in Europe pay their retirees..UK is a joke

Not entirely true, pensioners are a very active voting demographic, they receive a great deal of consideration.

Not so expats.

The UK should follow the French example and have an MP who is voted into office by expats.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Expat68 said:

Just our bad luck unfortunately, to do with having some sort of agreement between countries I believe. Regarding people trying to get around it by having a house in the UK, I would say to them be careful, a friend of mine has been caught, he is paying it all back monthly

How was he caught, someone must have told on him ,

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Expat68 said:

Just our bad luck unfortunately, to do with having some sort of agreement between countries I believe. Regarding people trying to get around it by having a house in the UK, I would say to them be careful, a friend of mine has been caught, he is paying it all back monthly

You say someone you" know"  has been caught,at what precisely?   sickness benefit? jobseekers?  housing benefit?   Come on fill in the details

3 minutes ago, Guderian said:

So please, once that bill is law sign up to become a voter again and then start writing to your MP about the situation,

Two points,

1. Expats don't have MPs.

2. If I were to write to someone, they might start to think I was living outside the UK (and reduce my pension).

Best to keep your head down and say nothing IMHO.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

How was he caught, someone must have told on him ,

Told of what?   sickness benefit perhaps?     Nothing in DWP regulations on OAP can be given back         Pie in the sky stuff,imagination runs riot

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Not entirely true, pensioners are a very active voting demographic, they receive a great deal of consideration.

Not so expats.

The UK should follow the French example and have an MP who is voted into office by expats.

yes i suppose so but not just us here but the sad amount our pensioners get to exist on in the uk so how does that add to the voting issue.. at the end of the day we have outlived our usefulness  simple

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, hereforgood said:

Yep my SS cost of living raise this year was 95 US dollars

I appreciate the raises ... could due without the cost increase for Medicare, Part B reducing the raise since civilian retirees cannot use Medicare outside US territory.

I knew what to expect when I moved here, like you, 7 years ago. But, it still irks. I’ve signed the petition but it needs to be spread far and wide, and I don’t know how to do that. I have friends in Turkey, but that’s one of the countries not affected. 

It needs someone with some drive and determination to push it through. 

The way the world is going loso retired expats will be lucky to get anything at all if they are non residents for tax purposes.

The countries are going broke. You only get to spend money in your own country. No more castles in issan

1) Move to the Phillipines?

2) Set up a dummy address in the Phillipines?

3) If you have family or friends you could stay with, return to the UK for a 6 months holiday , say every 5 years to get your pension updated to the current rate?

4) And following 3) possibly keep a permanent UK address with said friend or family and get index linked pension paid into a UK bank account and transferred via Wise to Thailand? Would understaffed HMRC be any the wiser?

1 hour ago, itsari said:

I said you can live on 15000 . I never said anything about income.

If you have 800000 in the Thai bank then income does not pay a part 

Plopping 800k in a Thai bank isn't the best use of their money.   Yea, you can 'exist' on 15k or less a month but I personally wouldn't care to.   30k would be comfy, and could own scooter if wanting.  

10k for basics (rent, ele/w/int/petrol), 20k for actual living (food, etc).  Doesn't leave much for socializing or out & abouts.   The 800k for emergncy medical.

Hope whoever has quite a bit more than just that.  I know more than a few who left, when embassies stopped issuing income letters, along with the Brexit GBP drop.

When it comes to lump sum 800k vs direct deposit, what they get, and what they can deposit may be 2 different sums, due to divorce & alimony/child support.   So off to Cambo / Nam, or local agent's office.  Income letter vs actual available funds was a game changer for many.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Wiggy said:

As you say it's nothing to do with Asia in general. Scandalously in my opinion the British government will only index link for

1. expats  living in the EU and benefitting post brexit from a provision in the brexit Withdrawal Agreement to continue to do so because previously they were obliged to do so under EU law.

2. Other expats where they live in a country with a reciprocal arrangement in place for their own expat pensioners living in the UK. The Philippines surprisingly does as does the USA. Canada does not, nor I think Australia and New Zealand. So it's a lottery and many Brits the world over have frozen UK pensions. Over the years this mounts up to a significant shortfall.

Check out the pressure group endfrozenpensions.org

There you will find a map by country showing who benefits from uprating and who does not.

I'm sure some here and elsewhere retain a UK address and bank account linked to it, to preserve uprating, in to which the pension is paid.

But then there is the cost of sending it onto Thailand and there is always some cost to do that.

I think doing this is tempting but risky as when periodically asked to return a certificate of life it would need to be done in the UK to avoid the risk of being found out. If not the cost of returning to the UK to do it would far outweigh the advantage

If found out the UK Pension Service would be entitled to  and surely would, recover overpayments with interest, by deduction from future pension payments. They might also prosecute for fraud.

Maybe some have a way round that? I'd be interested in how people do it and if anyone has been caught and what the consequences were.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1