Why do we continue to receive smaller pensions than European expats?

webfact

1 minute ago, Gottfrid said:

What? Do you think most people come to Thailand with a small amount of money and monthly income? That is as wrong as it can be. Most of us have over 65k per month as retired. And that is still very small. Here it´s only the ones complaining you hear about. The other 75 - 85 % of all expats in Thailand are doing good.

Most foreigners are attracted by the lower cost of living regarding residing here in Thailand .

A higher percentage of the foreigners deciding to live here do not have the income you are quoting . 

Many come with a sizable amount of money but a low income . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are not awarded a pension it is classed as a benefit and you therefore have to claim it.

While I agree it's discriminatory just because you are a non UK resident, we all know that is the choice one makes.

What galls me is that you still have to pay income tax to fund services you never use as an expat.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2022 at 9:19 AM, kennw said:

Something that people receiving pensions overseas dont understand is that home governments want pensions to be spent in the home country. This contributes to the economy there. Your pension today is paid for by todays taxpayers. As populations age there are more on the pension and the burden falls on those younger people working and paying taxes today. 

Sure, if i go back to the uk as a pensioner i will claim all the free stuff, housing help, free transport, free medical care, financial relief on may items including food etc.... Domned it, I would cost them an arm and a leg. But no i choose to be independent not dependent.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2022 at 6:37 AM, itsari said:

The European Court Of Human Rights ruled against the plaintiff on the UK Government on indexed linked pension payments to those living abroad in 2008.

Australia decided to abandon any social agreement with the UK on this issue . 

I think there needs to be a case taken to the UN human rights court in Geneva to reverse that decision by Australia .

Australia has over the years gradually tightened the screw for pensioners and not only for those living overseas.

The Government pension is means tested so it matters not how much tax you paid, I like many others are denied the pension as we are considered “ too rich”.

For those who decide to retire overseas you face additional hurdles if you haven’t lived continuously in Australia for the two years prior to your application or don’t live there for two years after receiving the pension.

I think there are many of us who be happy to live under the UK pension regime, unfair as it may appear.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, natway09 said:

Think yourself lucky

The so called "Universal Pension" paid to Kiwis over 65 (maybe 67 now)

is no longer available if you do not live in NZ.

If you return, available after 2 years of residency

Is it means tested like Australia and in the past have you been required to make a specific contribution like for example in the UK?

1 hour ago, StevieAus said:

Australia has over the years gradually tightened the screw for pensioners and not only for those living overseas.

The Government pension is means tested so it matters not how much tax you paid, I like many others are denied the pension as we are considered “ too rich”.

For those who decide to retire overseas you face additional hurdles if you haven’t lived continuously in Australia for the two years prior to your application or don’t live there for two years after receiving the pension.

I think there are many of us who be happy to live under the UK pension regime, unfair as it may appear.

I was surprised by your statement on old age pensions as most Australian's believe in there government. 

I as a immigrant arriving in Australia at 18 years of age in 1971 soon learnt what Australia was about.

Now I want my pension the goal posts have moved .

Thank you for your contribution.

On 3/1/2022 at 2:41 PM, Speedhump said:

Not in the least. 4500 common fee and balance is sinking fund and leccy/water at PEA/PWA tariffs  (swimming pool and lots of lovely aircon almost 24/7) . Some idiots 'liked' your comment. Friends of yours in the secure facility? 

Really? Because you made a fool of yourself you resort to personal insults? If you’re making regular payments to a sinking fund you really are being ripped off. As for 24/7 aircon, why on earth would anyone live like that!

1 hour ago, Fairynuff said:

Really? Because you made a fool of yourself you resort to personal insults? If you’re making regular payments to a sinking fund you really are being ripped off. As for 24/7 aircon, why on earth would anyone live like that!

You really are a know-nothing . I don't mind insulting you personally, actually. Sinking funds are quite normal for homeowners to handle upkeep or improvements to a housing development. The homeowners have control over the funds. There. Now you know. 

Just to let you know, I was informed by the WEP that they have changed the rules on bringing your pension up to the current rate by returning to the U.K.  you now get it re-instated up to the current rate within one week of returning to the U.K. instead of months. 

7 hours ago, Speedhump said:

The authorities will check to ensure you actually live there. If not immediately then eventually. 

Seriously?.....What would trigger a check?.....Have you any experience/knowledge of someone being checked?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Barefootknobby said:

Just to let you know, I was informed by the WEP that they have changed the rules on bringing your pension up to the current rate by returning to the U.K.  you now get it re-instated up to the current rate within one week of returning to the U.K. instead of months. 

No need to return,just change address

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Seriously?.....What would trigger a check?.....Have you any experience/knowledge of someone being checked?

I read it here last year as experienced fact by the poster. Maybe it's just a question of being lucky or not. Or a new address raising suspicions, or whatever. I have no idea.

• Thanks 1

On 3/1/2022 at 11:31 AM, BritManToo said:

Pensioners living in the UK are not required to complete a 'certificate of life' ever.

So a pointless (if not ignorant) paragraph in your post.

Correct, no they don't. Because in the UK registration of a death will filter through to DWP. Pensioners living outside the UK do and that is what I was referring to. You are given 3 months to send it in. If you haven't they say your pension will be stopped. I've had to do 2 of these in the last 5 years. If you phone them they will happily give you more time

10 hours ago, Speedhump said:

The authorities will check to ensure you actually live there. If not immediately then eventually. 

Why? And how long would it take to check millions of pensioners? Then if they had moved track them down and check if they are still alive,it is reckoned 40% of pensioners move and dont bother to tell dwp .

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Speedhump said:

And why should they do that ? Do they check up on everyone of pensionable age in the UK. HMRC do not have a legal right to to contact UK Immigration about your comings and goings unless they have good reason to suspect you of criminal activity.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

Why? And how long would it take to check millions of pensioners? Then if they had moved track them down and check if they are still alive,it is reckoned 40% of pensioners move and dont bother to tell dwp .

So no one that does anything wrong is ever identified and caught? I see. If you think hard you'd see there are certain indicators they can target, such as newly registered UK addresses for new pensioners overseas. If you never told them, or the taxman, you emigrated, never sold your property or changed address, maybe you're not so easy to spot. I believe they can then ask you to prove your phone number, name of GP, etc.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Antiparovian said:

And why should they do that ? Do they check up on everyone of pensionable age in the UK. HMRC do not have a legal right to to contact UK Immigration about your comings and goings unless they have good reason to suspect you of criminal activity.

They (government departments) don't check everyone for everything. You know that. Either random checks, or use of algorithms or simple data trawling would be my thought. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Speedhump said:

You really are a know-nothing . I don't mind insulting you personally, actually. Sinking funds are quite normal for homeowners to handle upkeep or improvements to a housing development. The homeowners have control over the funds. There. Now you know. 

Your arrogance and idiocy know no bounds. I still maintain that sinking funds are mot monthly or even annual fees. Something you really ought to know. Clearly not ME that’s a know nothing. Or like I said you’re being ripped off. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

The DWP didn't check my address when I claimed my state pension (2021).

Can i ask you, what was the process in claiming your state pension while you were living in Thailand ??

26 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

Your arrogance and idiocy know no bounds. I still maintain that sinking funds are mot monthly or even annual fees. Something you really ought to know. Clearly not ME that’s a know nothing. Or like I said you’re being ripped off. 

Mot? What gibberish. 

Sinking funds aren't fees you dolt. It's savings which we, the house owners, keep to use as and when we want. Do you really believe that once the builder of a housing resort has sold all the houses he pays for its upkeep for evermore? 

MY idiocy? ????????????????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedArmy said:

Can i ask you, what was the process in claiming your state pension while you were living in Thailand ??

Don't tell them you've ever been outside the UK.

Claim online using a VPN and your invitation code.

Use a UK bank account (they don't ask your address).

Takes about 5 mins to answer all the questions, don't answer any of them in a way that 'creates difficulties'.

I was worried they would pay me 6 months late after reading stories on here.

But apparently that delay is only for people daft enough to admit to living overseas.

I was paid on exactly the date I was supposed to be paid.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Don't tell them you've ever been outside the UK.

Claim online using a VPN and your invitation code.

Takes about 5 mins to answer all the questions, don't answer any of them in a way that 'creates difficulties'.

Appreciate that brother - That's very good advice - I wont be claiming for a few more years but that certainly puts my mind at rest - I have changed all my banking details to my Uncle's UK address, so i still have a "Safe" address UK side.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Speedhump said:

Mot? What gibberish. 

Sinking funds aren't fees you dolt. It's savings which we, the house owners, keep to use as and when we want. Do you really believe that once the builder of a housing resort has sold all the houses he pays for its upkeep for evermore? 

MY idiocy? ????????????????

Yep, your idiocy. I’ve paid into sinking funds on every home I’ve owned here. 3 of which I still own. I don’t pay into sinking funds monthly as you appear to do. Keep up with the personal insults though, clearly it’s the best you can manage. For me, I’m done with you, I prefer to engage with people who know what they’re talking about.